Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle Vs. Vancouver
Seattle 126 51.64%
Vancouver 118 48.36%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:26 PM

84 posts, read 182,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Haha no it's not. You guys stole it from the rest of the countries of the America's because calling you people United States'ers sounded awkward.
Again, you have no idea what you're saying. America is the short name for the USA, like China for the People's Republic of China. If you want to be referred to by the continent on which you live, then you would be called North American, not American.

In any case, "American" has always been synonymous with the United States. And since it is used internationally to refer to the US, there's not much you can do about it.

Stupid remarks like this are just more excuses for people to hate the US for no real reason.

Give it up, and stop whining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alki View Post
Again, you have no idea what you're saying. America is the short name for the USA, like China for the People's Republic of China. If you want to be referred to by the continent on which you live, then you would be called North American, not American.

In any case, "American" has always been synonymous with the United States. And since it is used internationally to refer to the US, there's not much you can do about it.

Stupid remarks like this are just more excuses for people to hate the US for no real reason.

Give it up, and stop whining.

"America is the short name for the USA, like China for the People's Republic of China" - not really. 'United States of America" suggests that this country is made up of united states and is part of 'America' as in the Americas. 'People's Republic of China' represents the view of citizens within China. The USA is more comparable to the concept of Canada being called the United Provinces of America. America is a wider region, China is not. And China's original name was 'China.'

Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksap View Post
"America is the short name for the USA, like China for the People's Republic of China" - not really. 'United States of America" suggests that this country is made up of united states and is part of 'America' as in the Americas. 'People's Republic of China' represents the view of citizens within China. The USA is more comparable to the concept of Canada being called the United Provinces of America. America is a wider region, China is not. And China's original name was 'China.'
...you resurrected a nine-month-dead thread to argue semantics??

Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,279 times
I have visited both cities and prefer Vancouver. I felt Vancouver was more cosmopolitan and had a larger urban core.

Does anyone have good pictures of Vancouver to share?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:29 PM

382 posts, read 488,424 times
So, It's no surprise why Vancouver is usually in the top 10 on quality of life surveys, but does anyone know why Seattle is only in the 40's? Also, what would be the most effective ways to better that score on the Mercer Quality of Living Surveys, as well as the Quality of Life Index by The Economist?

Also, I'm interested on how Seattle could develop in a way to not look like a failed version of Vancouver. If Seattle concentrated on asthetics of downtown (creative looking sidewalks, different species of trees and plants, etc.) combined with both mid and high rises with architectural detail to distinguish between buildings (something Vancouver looked over), the city could create even more of an urban identity of its own.

Last edited by somewhereoutthere15; 11-28-2012 at 08:50 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Seattle is working on its identity. With the 24 block long waterfront park once they sink the alaska way viaduct a 3.2 billion dollar project for the freeway to go under ground. Seattles downtown is changing very fast with over 7000 new housing units under construction. And another waterfront project also being planned on south lake union comparable to inner harbor baltimore. Seattle will have two major waterfronts downtown . Seattle will bypass Vancouver just like Seattle bypassed Vancouver to be the Number One cruise port on the west coast. Seattle now has over one million cruisers a year. Seattle will become a major sports city again with the construction of the new basketball and hockey stadium in the stadium entertainment distric. Seattle will have Profesional basketbal, hockey, baseball, soccer, football and basketball Another one billion dollar project already approved and financed in Seattle. Billions of dallars in investement in Southlake union , Stadium Distric, and Waterfront will transform Seattle. seattle is one of the top five cities in the world for start up companies. Seattle has a great economy and will keep growing we dont need to compare to any other cities were are own city.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:09 PM

382 posts, read 488,424 times
Thanks! That was very encouraging. I have thought about moving there if I get into UW grad school to get my Masters in Urban Planning. Say I went there now, would I see a transforming city?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but I would rather hear from an actual Seattlelite, not just news articles.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereoutthere15 View Post
Thanks! That was very encouraging. I have thought about moving there if I get into UW grad school to get my Masters in Urban Planning. Say I went there now, would I see a transforming city?

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but I would rather hear from an actual Seattlelite, not just news articles.
Seattle is and has been changing quite a bit for awhile now. With the new Alaskan Way project starting, you'll see a lot of change happening. The 3rd Street corridor downtown had started changing to reflect a growing community of Downtown middle-class-to-affluent residents when I lived there again in '08-09. Areas like Ballard, which used to be low-lying suburbs, have grown and are continuing to grow in density and are drastically changing the feel of the community. I'm sure that it'd be exciting, especially for a newcomer who's interested specifically in urban planning and growth.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,290 times
Im in school for comericial brokerage I love every minute in Seattle. The fact the city is growing at such a rappid pace. Seattle is upzonning all its neighborhoods to become much more dense and urban. Downtown Seattle has 4 major areas of development comming up. Yessler Terrace, South Lake Union, Waterfront and the sodo area All are starting billions of dollars of development.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM

765 posts, read 897,842 times
Hey, wanted to give this thread some life again. Does anyone have thoughts? I haven't been to Vancouver in awhile, but it seems like a very close call and you could really make a case for either one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City