Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:14 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Whichever, he's still got quite a twang as opposed to a drawl, which goes with what TexasReb was saying about the Upland South, so close enough.
yes he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
To sum it up, the twang has sharper pronunciations of consonents than does the drawl. In short it is more akin to the "midland speech" of the midwest and rockies than the drawl. However it often leaves the pronunciation of vowels as they would be in the drawl. An example would be the word "yes"; instead of the strong fast YES would be a slight tendency to pronounce the short e as first a long A, then a short U, thus YAY US although it seldom ever sounds like two syllables.

The southern accent sounds less distinct than in the past. There are still some people who pronounce certain words - akern for acorn much the same as in the past, but I am hearing a lot of the old southern accent disappearing before my very ears. "I", and various other words aren't as strongly southern sounding as they once were. TV has changed some of this and it is not a concious change either.

A person would really have to go to a small southern town to really hear a strong southern accent nowadays. It is increasingly weakening.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM

117 posts, read 366,766 times
Scott - I'm from East Tennessee and I assure you I don't say "bake" for bike. Our i's are pronounced long and flat and one syllabled,"bii'k" whereas a northerner makes two syllables out of the letter i as if it were pronounced "bi-eek." I was accused of talking slow when we moved to Indiana, not fast. If I was saying "how you doing today," "how" would certianly not be pronouced "hey." Like most southerner's we drop letters or combine two words sometimes, it would be "ha (pronouced as in the word "have) ya doin' (definite oo sound in "do" not "dow") tuhdaye," not "ta-die" with the "die" being way too harsh, our a's are broader, but not that broad. Now if you were speaking to a Mountaineer from up in the Appalachian's of NC, TN, VA, or KY, or WV you'd hear a totally different accent. If they said "I did once," it would be "Ii di'ud onc't." Or they're telling you something is far over there, it's "hit's over yonder." They still use venacular brought by their Scotch-Irish ancester's. Many people assume their speech is because they are backwards and don't know proper English. If you went to the countries and counties of Great Brittain (Cumberland - gee, what a surprise, Durham, Yorkshire, the Lowland parts of Scotland, many of whom settled in Ulster, Ireland and then migrated) and heard their speech you would see that many mountaineers still have the purest speech practiced by their ancestor's than any other part of our country. I won't get into the reasons why, but they do. Their speech patterns are rapidly disappearing for many reasons as well. Someone from Knoxville, TN, like me, and someone from Carver's Gap, TN would not have the same accent or venacular just as someone from Atlanta is going to sound different from someone from Savannah or Blairesville, GA. Many Mountaineer's are slow speakers due to the fact they add so many extra words. I would say "wey'l, Ii don't know." A Mountaineer might say "Way-el, Ii don't reckon Ii rightly know," drawing out his "well" much more than my southern version of speech. Maybe Hank Williams personally was nasally, but I don't think any Southern accent sounds nasally, the Lynchburg-Richmond "drawl," as some are calling it, is to my ear "mo'ah tow'ud th' frunt of th' tung" and "miin is mo'er tow'rd th' ba'uck," with neither sounding nasally....Just my thoughts.

Last edited by ceeglass; 06-16-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:52 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
I hope i'm not going too far off topic but I have found East Texans have more of a drawl and West Texans have more of a twang. Here is a former University of Texas football player and a current one to sort of give an idea.

East Texas: Tim Crowder (It isn't as pronounced here as I have heard it)

YouTube - Tim Crowder Helps Tackle Hunger in East Texas

West Texas: Colt McCoy

YouTube - Colt McCoy Commercial

Old 01-25-2010, 12:31 PM

73 posts, read 173,869 times
well a drawl is more of an enlongating speech as in vowls are enlongated and over pronounced a twang is harsher quicker more nasel though still there is the enlongating of vowls

Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
People from Alabama have a what?

Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 AM

160 posts, read 183,704 times
Southern Twangs are what you hear in today's pop country music. Highly annoying if you ask me.

Southern Twang - Craig Morgan, Eric Church, female singer from Sugarland (forgot her name)

Southern Drawl - Johnny Cash, Toby Keith, Reba, Alan Jackson

Twangs are harsh and annoying while drawls are easier on the ears. I have somewhat of a southern drawl myself.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other
Lol.

Sometimes I speak with a drawl, its easier to catch on to than a twang.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:25 PM

650 posts, read 1,327,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Lol.

Sometimes I speak with a drawl, its easier to catch on to than a twang.
But you do it way too slow and with a weird ghetto Jacksonville type accent .

Old 02-25-2020, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,367 times
I'm the FNG ("f" meaning funky [now I'm telling my age]), so Howdy.

As an Army brat, I lived in quite a few places (we moved 6 times by the time I was 13). I was born at Ft. Benning, GA, but spent most of my life in Texas. My wife is Michigander through and through; she's Detroit-metro born and raised. She says she has no accent; I tell her she's wrong (I like living dangerously).

She, my stepkids, and my friends up here all day they love to hear me talk. Personally I just think they like making fun of me. But the joke's on them, because they're the ones with the accent, not me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City