Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintochi966 View Post
I do not mean to intervene and possibly repeat what others or myself have said. but NYC is nothing when it comes to street gangs. I believe they have drug crews or block crews (supermario?). Comparing these crews to a gang from chi or la is like comparing your parents' corner store to wal mart.

And like I got at before, the show gangland is funnier than eddie murphey standup from the 80s (I think its very funny) when not in la or chi. I saw one about ny bloods or maybe crips, then latin kings. I'd be more scared of the goths outside of my local mcdonalds than the wannabes on the show from nyc. Seriously, I would slap those desperate-for-identity punks with my sadly small manhood before they could throw up a gang sign.

And in case someone gets defensive about nyc not being hard, I'm not saying it doesn't have its rough parts, and I'm not saying some of the crews dealing aren't deadly serious. However their effect on nycs communities pales in comparison to the effect highly structured gangs in chi and la (and probably some other cities) have on their own neighborhoods. I don't think that is anywhere close to debatable.

To sum it up, chi and la easily have the most gangs over any other city in the country. I'd have to put chi first (city, not necessarily metro area) based on statistics, news stories, research, and even some heart breaking first hand accounts.
NYC does have a lot of gang members but things are different from LA and CHI. LA and CHI gangs are long established and people can't really do anything about it because the gangs run the streets, this isn't the case in NYC where gangs don't care about running the streets they just want their money, and NYers ain't having no "Street Gang" run the streets, drug lords and drug dealers will shut that down real quick. Gangs will run around the hood flash guns, fight and other dumb stuff but at the end of the days lot of them are drug dealers and they push weight along with other drug dealers who aren't part of any gang. Im not saying NY gangs dont get it in because if two gangs get into it it's the same thing for all 3 cities.

I respect you honesty but I don't know how far you'd get by slapping a NY gang member in the face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:57 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
NYC does have a lot of gang members but things are different from LA and CHI. LA and CHI gangs are long established and people can't really do anything about it because the gangs run the streets, this isn't the case in NYC where gangs don't care about running the streets they just want their money, and NYers ain't having no "Street Gang" run the streets, drug lords and drug dealers will shut that down real quick. Gangs will run around the hood flash guns, fight and other dumb stuff but at the end of the days lot of them are drug dealers and they push weight along with other drug dealers who aren't part of any gang. Im not saying NY gangs dont get it in because if two gangs get into it it's the same thing for all 3 cities.

I respect you honesty but I don't know how far you'd get by slapping a NY gang member in the face.
Nice post.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 PM

21 posts, read 72,543 times
Quote:

First off, I said I would slap him in the face with my dong. And my man, that is assault with a deadly weapon, lol. Secondly, and I should have made this more clear, I was exaggerating. My mistake and I respect you for respecting me despite the midunderstanding.

Anyway no doubt NY gangs and crews are about money. The same goes for most legitimate criminal organizations in my opinion. In chicago, it goes beyong what gang or set you represent. Fact is, if you are representing whatever gang, you want to take out the competition because they are, or will be, attempting to cut into your profit margins. Basically what I am trying to say is gangs in chicago, and maybe la, don't attack members just because they are in another gang, but rather because it is in their monetary interest to do so, short term or long term. I would say black gangs are more motivated in this manner than hispanic gangs.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I said, as well as more information on NYC and how it relates in this manner. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
First off, I said I would slap him in the face with my dong. And my man, that is assault with a deadly weapon, lol. Secondly, and I should have made this more clear, I was exaggerating. My mistake and I respect you for respecting me despite the midunderstanding.

Anyway no doubt NY gangs and crews are about money. The same goes for most legitimate criminal organizations in my opinion. In chicago, it goes beyong what gang or set you represent. Fact is, if you are representing whatever gang, you want to take out the competition because they are, or will be, attempting to cut into your profit margins. Basically what I am trying to say is gangs in chicago, and maybe la, don't attack members just because they are in another gang, but rather because it is in their monetary interest to do so, short term or long term. I would say black gangs are more motivated in this manner than hispanic gangs.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I said, as well as more information on NYC and how it relates in this manner. Thanks.

Assault with a deadly weapon lol. In NYC the bad areas (South Bronx, Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, East New York, South Jamaica, Far Rockaway, etc.) are mostly all isolated from each other and although there are usually more than one gang in these hoods they rep different parts usually far from each other so there really isn't a need to take out the competition.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Assault with a deadly weapon lol. In NYC the bad areas (South Bronx, Harlem, Bed-Stuy, Brownsville, East New York, South Jamaica, Far Rockaway, etc.) are mostly all isolated from each other and although there are usually more than one gang in these hoods they rep different parts usually far from each other so there really isn't a need to take out the competition.
Thanks for the input, this is a topic that I've always found interesting.

There was part of your previous post I overlooked. You said drug lords would shut street gangs down. I'd like to know a little more about this. Is this mostly because they already have their own crew and street gangs would be interfering? That is the only thing I can think of.

I guess a difference between NY and Chicago is in chicago the high ranking street gang members are essentially the drug lords (in the sense you are talking about. Larry Hoover, Jeff Fort come to mind) If anyone believes otherwise I'd like to hear about that too. Anyway I'd assume the" top drug lords" in both cities are similar. By top drug lords I just mean wholesalers to the drug crew/lord (nyc) and street gangs (chi). I would assume these "top drug lords" are some sort of OC, whether italian mafia, russian mafia, or some other type of drug trafficking organization (I've heard of nigerian and mexican organizations as being wholesalers in chicago). Would you agree with me there? Again my knowledge of these things in NYC is limited, but I'd like to learn more.

I have a site that is interesting that talks about this, ill post it for you soon.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:03 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
There are gangs in a lot of cities but it is not like before.... That they would mess around with you. If you stay clear from them. Then you would not encounter any problems

Old 07-22-2009, 02:08 AM

Here are the links. A lot of reading but I found it interesting.

Chicago:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs32/32768/drugover.htm

NYC:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs32/32784/drugover.htm

US overview:
http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs31/31379/dtos.htm

After reading those it seems that there are definite similarities between how drugs get to the retail level in NYC and Chicago. It seems it is the people selling them at retail level that differs. The Chicago overview specifically mentioned the DTOs having ties to street gangs. The NYC overview made no mention of who exactly buys then sells at retail. Thoughts?

Since you and I, infamous, are becoming more familiar with this topic, maybe we should meet up and work out a plan to take over the drug trade in at least one of these cities haha.

Last edited by movintochi966; 07-22-2009 at 02:21 AM..

Old 07-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input, this is a topic that I've always found interesting.

There was part of your previous post I overlooked. You said drug lords would shut street gangs down. I'd like to know a little more about this. Is this mostly because they already have their own crew and street gangs would be interfering? That is the only thing I can think of.

I guess a difference between NY and Chicago is in chicago the high ranking street gang members are essentially the drug lords (in the sense you are talking about. Larry Hoover, Jeff Fort come to mind) If anyone believes otherwise I'd like to hear about that too. Anyway I'd assume the" top drug lords" in both cities are similar. By top drug lords I just mean wholesalers to the drug crew/lord (nyc) and street gangs (chi). I would assume these "top drug lords" are some sort of OC, whether italian mafia, russian mafia, or some other type of drug trafficking organization (I've heard of nigerian and mexican organizations as being wholesalers in chicago). Would you agree with me there? Again my knowledge of these things in NYC is limited, but I'd like to learn more.

I have a site that is interesting that talks about this, ill post it for you soon.
In NYC the gangs members tend to be young (young adults, teenagers & pre-teens) and they're not usually as educated street-wise as somebody who's been selling drugs for a long time. If a gang tries to take over a certain neighborhood (drug-wise) they would run into problems with drug dealers are usually older, have large crews and more weapons and they would stop anybody interfering with their cash flow. Unlike CHI, NYC gang members are usually just distributors (a lot do have higher positions though). I agree with you 100% a lot work with DTOs.

Quote:
Here are the links. A lot of reading but I found it interesting.

Chicago:
Drug Threat Overview - Chicago High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Drug Market Analysis 2009

NYC:
Drug Threat Overview - New York/New Jersey High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Drug Market Analysis 2009

US overview:
Drug Trafficking Organizations - National Drug Threat Assessment 2009

After reading those it seems that there are definite similarities between how drugs get to the retail level in NYC and Chicago. It seems it is the people selling them at retail level that differs. The Chicago overview specifically mentioned the DTOs having ties to street gangs. The NYC overview made no mention of who exactly buys then sells at retail. Thoughts?

Since you and I, infamous, are becoming more familiar with this topic, maybe we should meet up and work out a plan to take over the drug trade in at least one of these cities haha.
I found that site interesting, thanks for posting it. As for buying and selling in NYC I think its a lack of information, so many people sell drugs in NYC its not even funny, I don't think the people doing the report could really get to the bottom of what's going on because there is so much going on.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM

23 posts, read 118,990 times
Detroit is known for our drug gangs because it's a hustler's city. The gangs here are killing eachother over drug turf not colors. We have some of the most violent and well known drug knigpins in the US including Masserati Rick and the Best Friends, The YBI, The Chambers Bros. and The Black Mafia Family.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:12 PM

103 posts, read 301,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
^^^ I think it's a tie between Chi-town and LA if anything. They're arent any gangs from outside of CA in LA either. So I think it's a tie between those two, and no other city can compare to the two.
Black P Stone Bloods founders were from Chicago under Jeff Fort and asked permission start the set now known today as the "Bity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City