Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 07:53 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,612 times

Advertisements

For Oklahoma...

What's liberal in OK isn't necessarily that liberal in places like the north east or California.

Liberal

Immediately north of downtown Oklahoma City in the I40, I235, I44 area.

West, north, and north east of Central OU campus especially in older houses. Norman as a whole is more liberal compared to the rest of OK.

Parts of inner Tulsa

Conservative

Almost everywhere in Oklahoma. The rest of OKC, Tulsa. All suburbs except Norman to a degree. Very conservative in the smaller towns. It's a little more libertarian the further west and north you go, but overall it's very socially conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,649,491 times
It's pretty clear that with a few exceptions, all the fun places are liberal.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
From most to least liberal:

Durham - Voted blue since the great depression. Democrats regularly get 70-80% of the vote here. Large black population plus a lot of white liberals associated with Duke and RTP make it one of the most liberal cities in the country, let alone the south. Voted against Amendment 1 by the second largest amount of any county, (only Chapel Hill's Orange County surpassed it).

Raleigh - Wake county is still technically considered a swing county. It has voted for the winner of the national popular vote in the past several elections. (Clinton in '92 and '96, Gore in '00, Bush in '04, and Obama in '08 and '12). That said, the margins that Obama won the county in the past two elections suggest that it is transitioning into a permanently democratic county from now on. That and it voted against Amendment 1 by the third highest margin after Durham and Orange county (and that's with all of Raleigh's conservative suburbs included). Raleigh is an odd place. The city government, which was once evenly split in the 90s, is almost totally democratically controlled now. But I'd swear the most vocal and radical tea party members in the state also reside in Wake County (their main hobby tends to be posting comments on WRAL's website).

Asheville - Despite its funky bohemian reputation, Asheville is pretty similar to Raleigh and Charlotte politically in that the city itself is quite liberal but the suburbs are conservative, so its parent county tends to go to the blue column by narrow margins instead of the lopsided amounts that Durham does. Bumcombe county voted pretty much the same way Wake County did - swinging to Bush in 2004 but otherwise voting democratic by 51-65% in each election. And it voted against amendment 1 by a tiny sliver.

Charlotte
- I post Charlotte below Asheville due to its historic reputation as a moderate city, but in recent years Charlotte-proper has convincingly swung leftwards. Mecklenburg used to be a red county voting for Republicans more often than Democrats until 2004, when it bucked the trend and voted for Kerry, and has voted for Obama in both recent elections (as well as voting against Amendment 1). Charlotte is not as political a place as Raleigh though. Voter participation in Mecklenburg county is some of the lowest in the state, while voter participation in Wake county is some of the highest.

Greensboro - Historically Greensboro was a pivotal city in the fight for civil rights for african americans. It is still a reliably democratic city in national elections (by similar margins that Raleigh and Charlotte are) but Guilford county failed to vote against amendment 1, and that brings it down a notch.

Fayetteville - As far as I can tell, it is a military town that votes democratic in presidential elections merely because of the high black population in Cumberland county. The city certainly doesn't 'feel' liberal.

Winston-Salem
- This is the most moderate major city in one of the piedmont metro areas. Forsynth county regularly flip-flops in presidential elections and failed to vote against amendment 1.

Wilmington - I would argue that Wilmington is becoming a slightly conservative city these days as it is voting Republican even in elections where the Republican doesn't win the national election or even the state. The city itself doesn't feel conservative by any means but I can't ignore the numbers.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:53 PM

130 posts, read 290,430 times
Nebraska

Liberal: Lincoln and Omaha
Conservative: None that matter

Old 07-16-2013, 01:55 AM

302 posts, read 769,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
In Michigan...
Conservative: Grand Rapids, Detroit suburbs, every city along I-94 EXCEPT Ann Arbor
Moderate: Saginaw, Lansing
Liberal: Flint, Detroit, Ann Arbor
In the 1980's, maybe this was true. Not anymore, though. You can't win an election in Michigan without winning the Detroit suburbs, and Democrats have won the Presidential vote in Michigan in every election since 1992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I'll try Michigan.

Liberal: Detroit, downriver Detroit suburbs, Flint, Ann Arbor, Lansing/East Lansing, Kalamazoo

Moderate: Oakland and Macomb counties, Battle Creek, Jackson, Muskegon, tri-cities area (Saginaw/Bay City/Midland,) most of northern lower Michigan, most of the Upper Peninsula, the city of Grand Rapids

Conservative: Grand Rapids suburbs, Holland, Brighton/Howell, most of the southern tier that borders Ohio and Indiana
This is more correct, though I'd say a lot of the Northern Lower and parts of the Upper Peninsula are kind of conservative.
There is an Upper Midwest Progressivism akin to Minnesota and Wisconsin the further West you go in the Upper Peninsula, though it seems to be fading somewhat. The Eastern UP is home to a lot of Suburban Detroit retirees and older transplants that give it a more (Moderately) Conservative vibe (There is a serious generational liberal conservative divide in Metro Detroit, as I'm sure there is in a lot of places).
The Traverse City area seems to have a lot of Conservative Upper Middle Class types, and the rest of the Northern Lower Peninsula is small town Midwest which generally means Conservative (though not Grand Rapids suburbs West Michigan Conservative).

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 AM

309 posts, read 759,807 times
Liberal places do seem more fun but Conservative places seem more friendly.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:41 PM

295 posts, read 591,816 times
New Mexico:

Liberal
Santa Fe
Las Cruces
Gallup

Moderate
Albuquerque
Los Lunas

Conservative
Roswell
Farmington
Clovis

Old 07-17-2013, 10:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Montana:

Liberal
Missoula
Butte

Moderate
Helena
Bozeman
Great Falls
Billings

Conservative
The rest of Montana. Especially the small towns in Eastern Montana.

I prefer more liberal but I can get along if it's not too conservative. I do get harassed a lot here in Montana for being liberal but I did grow up in a suburb of Toledo, OH.

I told my husband "no" when he asked me about a possible job in Roseburg, OR because from what I've read, it's pretty conservative. I don't want to live anywhere that's too far to either end of the spectrum but I can't handle extreme conservatisim. I'm not sure I could survive the deep south.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:45 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,824,488 times
Washington State:

Liberal
Seattle
Bellingham
Olympia

Moderate
Spokane
Bellevue/the "Eastside" suburbs

Conservative
Yakima
The Tri-Cities(Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)

Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Washington State:

Liberal
Seattle
Bellingham
Olympia

Moderate
Spokane
Bellevue/the "Eastside" suburbs

Conservative
Yakima
The Tri-Cities(Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)
You forgot Tacoma!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City