Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

The bond between Texas and countries in the Arabian peninsula and Venezuela is strong, the factor being oil. Companies are all over these places.

Texas is not meant for tourism, Texas is meant for business, let's get that settled. The medical district, the oil, the businesses, the port, these are the reasons Texas is known internationally not because of some landmark, some beach, some bridge, or some buildings.

So like I said my life goes as the following:

1. California
1. New York
1. Florida
4. Texas
5. Illinois
5. Pennsylvania
6. New Jersey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Seriously, Texas is in the top 4. Outside of that is when it gets tricky. People on this forum can never give Texas credit.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Seriously, Texas is in the top 4. Outside of that is when it gets tricky. People on this forum can never give Texas credit.
Jluke, being a fellow Texan, can you look at my list right above your post and concur my statements about the medical and oil relationship of Texas to other parts of the world?

I need another Texan to add/check up on my post.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Jluke, being a fellow Texan, can you look at my list right above your post and concur my statements about the medical and oil relationship of Texas to other parts of the world?

It's also known for cowboys, ranching, and Western culture. You would be surprised how many Texans I've talked to get asked stupid questions when the leave the country (or even the state), like "so do you ride a horse everywhere?" And then have things like Western movies, the Dallas Cowboys, the TV show Dallas, and even George Bush (unfortunately) that reinforce these stereotypes.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post

Agreed, and plus what wpmead said.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It's also known for cowboys, ranching, and Western culture. You would be surprised how many Texans I've talked to get asked stupid questions when the leave the country (or even the state), like "so do you ride a horse everywhere?" And then have things like Western movies, the Dallas Cowboys, the TV show Dallas, and even George Bush (unfortunately) that reinforce these stereotypes.
My experience in London, they thought I was from the East Coast until I told them Texas. Then it was hilarious how they were like "where's your Texas hat and boot?"

I have never in my life worn either, nor do I care too. Lol, most people in the city I come from don't care too either.

I think the stereotypes for Texas make it a popularly known state internationally. Whether the stereotypes are good or bad, they're known.

By the way, estimated 200 (maximum) million Chinese people be rocking to the Houston Rocket's name. That's 2/3 the population of USA. Worst case scenario being 100 million (the minimum) that's still 1/3 of our country's population and more views than the Superbowl.

Check it;

Chinese TV audience for first Yao vs. Yi game may far exceed Super Bowl - NBA - ESPN

Inside465: In China, the NBA's Bucks vs. Rockets translates to Yi vs. Yao

Old 05-28-2010, 04:29 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
ONLY because of yao ming, tho. it has nothing to do with the team he plays for.
kobe is the same way, however. he's like God over there.

you bring up excellent points about texas and oil, tho.

for me, its not about giving texas credit or not giving it credit, its just that based off of my own personal experience, ppl aren't that knowledgeable about the states that make up the u.s.

hell, this goes for inside the country as well.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
That still helps with recognition though. I think our biggest negative is Bush. Lots of people still associate Bush with Texas.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
Yes, in Beijing you see three statues when you go to the city. Jackie Chan, Yao Ming, and Bruce Lee. They have statues. Whatever they do they make their American city famous in China.

Jackie Chan is the reason why many Chinese people in HK and other big cities in China rock out to Hollywood movies.

Yao Ming is the reason why they have a reason to be more competitive in American Basketball.

There's no excuses, you're right. But those three individuals mean a lot to that country. Just like how Bobby Jindal means a lot to people in India, and Sanjay Gupta, etc...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,213 times
the oil and business things are excellent points. bush is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City