Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Paris 75 56.39%
Chicago 58 43.61%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Playboy Enterprises Inc. is still headquartered in Chicago, Einstein. Hugh moved the mansion from the Gold Coast in Chicago to Los Angeles in the 1970s for the celebrity party scene, but the company stayed in Chicago. You wouldn't know a truthful statement if it bit you on your back side.
My bad. It is true, the paramount of the literary art, Playboy Mag, is still in Chicago. This plus Oprah make up city's contribution to world. Nice. How does it stack up against Le Monde, Le Figaro, International Herald Tribune, L'Humanite, Agence France Press, all the TV and radio stations located in Paris?

Last edited by dementor; 03-15-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I already posted a very short list (like 20) of the cultural and international events and organizations in Chicago and someone else posted like 10 more. It was on another thread and dementor never came back to argue it. He's a ***** one.
I must have missed that. Twenty international events taking place in Chicago? International not only by name but also by impact, relevance and audience? I can't find that post of yours. Can you repost?

Old 03-15-2009, 06:40 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,074,569 times
dementor = turd burglar x 1000

Old 03-15-2009, 08:41 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
Taste of Chicago
The Chicago Civic Opera
National Museum of Mexican Art
Garfield Park Conservatory
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum
Musuem of Science and Industry
Lollapallooza
DuSable Museum of African-American History
International Museum of Surgical Science
Spertus
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Contemporary Art
National Philharmonic of Russia
South African Cultural Heritage
Ford Center for the Performing Arts
Second City
Joffrey (actually moved here from NY)
Steppenwolf
Oriental Museum
Lyric
Hubbard St. Dance
Jazz Festival
Blues Festival
Architecture Foundation
Brookfield Zoo
Lincoln Park Zoo
Green Mill

Old 03-15-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Taste of Chicago
The Chicago Civic Opera
National Museum of Mexican Art
Garfield Park Conservatory
Adler Planetarium
Shedd Aquarium
Field Museum
Musuem of Science and Industry
Lollapallooza
DuSable Museum of African-American History
International Museum of Surgical Science
Spertus
Art Institute of Chicago
Museum of Contemporary Art
National Philharmonic of Russia
South African Cultural Heritage
Ford Center for the Performing Arts
Second City
Joffrey (actually moved here from NY)
Steppenwolf
Oriental Museum
Lyric
Hubbard St. Dance
Jazz Festival
Blues Festival
Architecture Foundation
Brookfield Zoo
Lincoln Park Zoo
Green Mill
I am actually rolling on the floor: what in your mind makes Taste of Chicago or Shedd Aquarium an international affair?

Old 03-15-2009, 11:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I am actually rolling on the floor: what in your mind makes Taste of Chicago or Shedd Aquarium an international affair?
With respect to the Taste fest, culinary artists and chefs from all over the world kill each other every year for space It is the premier event for cuisine, as Chicago is the place to be to showcase your take on food.

Make of it what you will. I've dated 3 chefs, two of which were internationally renowned, and the scene of importance is Chicago. I never suspected it either, but I'm not really all that into food as anything more than nutrition.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
With respect to the Taste fest, culinary artists and chefs from all over the world kill each other every year for space It is the premier event for cuisine, as Chicago is the place to be to showcase your take on food.

Make of it what you will. I've dated 3 chefs, two of which were internationally renowned, and the scene of importance is Chicago. I never suspected it either, but I'm not really all that into food as anything more than nutrition.
You are kidding me coldwine, right? I've been to the Taste and from what I have seen it's a display of carnival food and an occasion to get drunk and rowdy. Can you name those out of town, international chefs and the names of their restaurants, who are flying to Chicago to showcase their "productions"?

Last edited by dementor; 03-16-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM

143 posts, read 290,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You are kidding me coldwine, right? I've been to the Taste and from what I have seen it's a display of carnival food and an occasion to get drunk and rowdy. Can you name those out of town, international chefs and the names of their restaurants, who are flying to Chicago to showcase their "productions"?
When you ask someone to post facts, you cannot deflect their post with your own opinion and make it "wrong." Just because you think you saw carnival food does not diminish the fact that it is an international event.

From wikipedia: Taste of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Taste of Chicago is the world's largest food festival, held annually for 10 days in Chicago starting Friday before the 4th of July and ending the Sunday after. Every year, millions of Chicagoans, and tourists from around the world flock to Grant Park to enjoy the variety of food prepared by Chicago's most popular restaurants.

Popularity has spawned numerous offshoots and equivalents throughout the country (and beyond), such as the Tastefest in Detroit, the Taste of the Danforth in Toronto, the Taste of Kalamazoo, Taste of Addison, Taste of Lincolnshire, Taste in Dallas, Taste of Madison, in Austin, and the Bite in Portland.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,799 times
And Shedd was the world's most visited aquarium in 2005 and 2007. You don't have to like it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:01 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
I grew up and lived in Chicago (Logan Square), more than 30 years. Also, spent 5 years driving cabs, so I know the city’s layout and history very well. My opinion is biased, but I consider Chicago to be America’s greatest city. It’s got it; culture and architecture. One of the world’s best art museums. An immense variety of ethnic groups. I also lived in Germany for many years and traveled to France, visiting Paris seven times. Paris is fascinating. All the history, architecture, cafes, different people, various neighborhoods.
It’s a tough choice, but I’d like to have a condo in both cities. Maybe my liking would favor Paris by a slight margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.