Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you rather live in?
Paris 75 56.39%
Chicago 58 43.61%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,274,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
pot. kettle. black. You of all people should know not to be calling someone else out for "embarring themselves in public". You are, and have been, the official cartoon punching bag of City Data.

And btw-- you have been demeaning (i.e., dementing) Chicago for the bulk of this thread for not having enough culture. The poster then responds by providing you with a valid list of cultural establishments (if AIC, Field, Shedd, etc.). You then call him out and -- wtf-- question the Shedd Aquarium, for years the world's leading indoor aquarium. You need to turn off the Patch Adams movie and go to your room.
Oh BigLake, you just woke up buddy? Good.

I was asking for a list of national / international events taking place in Chicago and I did not receive any. No, Shedd Aquarium or any aquarium for that matter does not qualify as a national / international event. Neither does any museum. Of course we are talking about Paris vs. Chicago so you realize how mediocre are Chicago museums against, let's say, Luvre? Or the fact that Paris has over a hundred of museums?

You can go back to sleep now. Good night.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:13 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Oh BigLake, you just woke up buddy? Good.

I was asking for a list of national / international events taking place in Chicago and I did not receive any. No, Shedd Aquarium or any aquarium for that matter does not qualify as a national / international event. Neither does any museum. Of course we are talking about Paris vs. Chicago so you realize how mediocre are Chicago museums against, let's say, Luvre? Or the fact that Paris has over a hundred of museums?

You can go back to sleep now. Good night.
dementor, what's a "Luvre"? Is that something that involves you and a Jonas Brother? >>> Now, hurry up and go to wikipedia, check what a "luvre" is, then realize your embarassing mistake, and then come back here and edit your post (again).

And, please answer the previous poster's question... have you ever been Chicago? It's valid and establishes credibility. Wait-- we already know. You've never been to Chicago, but again-- you certainly have an unhealthy and psychotic vendetta against it.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
dementor, what's a "Luvre"? Is that something that involves you and a Jonas Brother? >>> Now, hurry up and go to wikipedia, check what a "luvre" is, then realize your embarassing mistake, and then come back here and edit your post (again).

You cought me misspelling a word. I bet it made your day.
Quote:
And, please answer the previous poster's question... have you ever been Chicago? It's valid and establishes credibility. Wait-- we already know. You've never been to Chicago, but again-- you certainly have an unhealthy and psychotic vendetta against it.
You ask and answer your question all by yourself. I think you do not need a forum, you need help.
Yes, I have been to Chicago, that's how I got to understand why both media and celebrities avoid your city like a plague. It's because unlike Paris it is as uninspiring and boring as a city in the Corn Belt can only be. Good night.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You cought me misspelling a word. I bet it made your day.

You ask and answer your question all by yourself. I think you do not need a forum, you need help.
Yes, I have been to Chicago, that's how I got to understand why both media and celebrities avoid your city like a plague. It's because unlike Paris it is as uninspiring and boring as a city in the Corn Belt can only be. Good night.
dementor-- You know it wasn't a spelling error. You just guessed at the name, right? For any other poster, I would have ignored it. For you-- the one who calls out others for "embarassing" themselves and who recently made a response to another poster by saying "In English, please..." -- sorry, it's just too easy. Remind me dementor, was that you who made that remark?

And by the way, you've never been to Chicago. You've never been fifty miles from White Plains except for last year's school field trip to big, bad New York City! Wow, what a fun experience for you! Post your pictures of your class visit to the CP Children's Zoo when you get a chance. Did you pet a llama?!!! Did you get to ride in a cab?! What fun!!!

Sorry, lets get back on track. This is a great poll. Tough to choose between Paris and Chicago. I voted Chicago, but to me, Paris, along with London, is the world's most culturally endowed, enticing, entrancing and exciting city. Chicago has the better modern architecture, is more livable/affordable and the weather is just so wonderfully fantastic!

Last edited by BigLake; 03-16-2009 at 10:56 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
And by the way, you've never been to Chicago. You've never been fifty miles from White Plains except for lasty year's school field trip to big, bad New York City! Wow, what a fun experience for you! Post your pictures of the CP Children's Zoo when you get a chance. Did you pet a llama?!!! Did you ride in cab?! What fun!!!
I am afraid you are getting worse, buddy.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,730,307 times
Lurve is where he lives.

Quote:

Old 03-17-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
This is a great poll. Tough to choose between Paris and Chicago. I voted Chicago, [...] Chicago has the better modern architecture, is more livable/affordable and the weather is just so wonderfully fantastic!

- Tough to chose between Chicago in Paris?

Why? Paris is much older, much more historical, has better transportation system (Metro not Metra ), has more renowned museums and more cultural insitutions but less crime and is not located in Midwest.

- Chicago has better modern architecture? Chicago does not have any architecture but modern. Architecture is architecture and given the number of wonders that Paris amassed in its two thousand years long history it wins hands down.

- Weather in Chicago is just so wonderfully fantastic in comparison to Paris? You are kidding, right? We are talking windy city Chicago, where the wind blows 24/7 which compounded with subzero temperatures makes the city uninhabitable for five months every year.

I am going to make it easier for you:

Paris from the 11th century was a popular destination for traders, students and religious pilgrimages, but its 'tourist industry' began on a large scale only with the 19th-century appearance of rail travel, namely from the state's re-organisation of France's rail network, with Paris at its centre, from 1848. Among Paris' first mass attractions drawing international interest were the above-mentioned Expositions Universelles that were the origin of Paris' many monuments, namely the Eiffel Tower from 1889. These, in addition to the capital's Second Empire embellishments, did much to make the city itself the attraction it is today.
Paris' museums and monuments are among its highest-esteemed attractions; tourism has motivated both the city and national governments to create new ones. The city's most prized museum, the Louvre, welcomes over 8 million visitors a year, being by far the world's most-visited art museum. The city's cathedrals are another main attraction: Its Notre Dame de Paris and the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur receive 12 million and eight million visitors, respectively. The Eiffel Tower, by far Paris' most famous monument, averages over six million visitors per year and more than 200 million since its construction. Disneyland Resort Paris is a major tourist attraction not only for visitors to Paris but for visitors to the rest of Europe as well, with 14.5 million visitors in 2007.
The Louvre is one of the largest and most famous museums, housing many works of art, including the Mona Lisa (La Joconde) and the Venus de Milo statue. Works by Pablo Picasso and Auguste Rodin are found in Musée Picasso and Musée Rodin, respectively, while the artistic community of Montparnasse is chronicled at the Musée du Montparnasse. Starkly apparent with its service-pipe exterior, the Centre Georges Pompidou, also known as Beaubourg, houses the Musée National d'Art Moderne. Art and artifacts from the Middle Ages and Impressionist eras are kept in Musée Cluny and Musée d'Orsay, respectively, the former with the prized tapestry cycle The Lady and the Unicorn. Paris' newest (and third-largest) museum, the Musée du quai Branly, opened its doors in June 2006 and houses art from Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas.

Paris has warm summers with average high temperatures of 25 °C (77 °F) and lows of 15 °C (59 °F). Winters are chilly, but rarely below freezing point, with temperatures around 3 °C (37 °F) - 8 °C (46 °F). Spring and Autumn have mild days and cool evenings. Rainfall could occur at any time of the year, and, although not a very rainy city, Paris is known for its sudden showers. The yearly annual precipitation is 642 mm (25 in) with light rainfall fairly distributed throughout the year. Snowfall is a rare occurrence, but the city could see light snow or flurries without accumulation in some winters. The highest temperature ever in Paris was 40.4 °C (105 °F) on 28 July 1948, and the lowest was a −23.9 °C (−11 °F) on 10 December 1879.[40]

Old 03-17-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
- Tough to chose between Chicago in Paris?

Why? Paris is much older, much more historical, has better transportation system (Metro not Metra ), has more renowned museums and more cultural insitutions but less crime and is not located in Midwest.

- Chicago has better modern architecture? Chicago does not have any architecture but modern. Architecture is architecture and given the number of wonders that Paris amassed in its two thousand years long history it wins hands down.

- Weather in Chicago is just so wonderfully fantastic in comparison to Paris? You are kidding, right? We are talking windy city Chicago, where the wind blows 24/7 which compounded with subzero temperatures makes the city uninhabitable for five months every year.

I am going to make it easier for you:

Paris from the 11th century was a popular destination for traders, students and religious pilgrimages, but its 'tourist industry' began on a large scale only with the 19th-century appearance of rail travel, namely from the state's re-organisation of France's rail network, with Paris at its centre, from 1848. Among Paris' first mass attractions drawing international interest were the above-mentioned Expositions Universelles that were the origin of Paris' many monuments, namely the Eiffel Tower from 1889. These, in addition to the capital's Second Empire embellishments, did much to make the city itself the attraction it is today.
Paris' museums and monuments are among its highest-esteemed attractions; tourism has motivated both the city and national governments to create new ones. The city's most prized museum, the Louvre, welcomes over 8 million visitors a year, being by far the world's most-visited art museum. The city's cathedrals are another main attraction: Its Notre Dame de Paris and the Basilique du Sacré-Coeur receive 12 million and eight million visitors, respectively. The Eiffel Tower, by far Paris' most famous monument, averages over six million visitors per year and more than 200 million since its construction. Disneyland Resort Paris is a major tourist attraction not only for visitors to Paris but for visitors to the rest of Europe as well, with 14.5 million visitors in 2007.
The Louvre is one of the largest and most famous museums, housing many works of art, including the Mona Lisa (La Joconde) and the Venus de Milo statue. Works by Pablo Picasso and Auguste Rodin are found in Musée Picasso and Musée Rodin, respectively, while the artistic community of Montparnasse is chronicled at the Musée du Montparnasse. Starkly apparent with its service-pipe exterior, the Centre Georges Pompidou, also known as Beaubourg, houses the Musée National d'Art Moderne. Art and artifacts from the Middle Ages and Impressionist eras are kept in Musée Cluny and Musée d'Orsay, respectively, the former with the prized tapestry cycle The Lady and the Unicorn. Paris' newest (and third-largest) museum, the Musée du quai Branly, opened its doors in June 2006 and houses art from Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas.

Paris has warm summers with average high temperatures of 25 °C (77 °F) and lows of 15 °C (59 °F). Winters are chilly, but rarely below freezing point, with temperatures around 3 °C (37 °F) - 8 °C (46 °F). Spring and Autumn have mild days and cool evenings. Rainfall could occur at any time of the year, and, although not a very rainy city, Paris is known for its sudden showers. The yearly annual precipitation is 642 mm (25 in) with light rainfall fairly distributed throughout the year. Snowfall is a rare occurrence, but the city could see light snow or flurries without accumulation in some winters. The highest temperature ever in Paris was 40.4 °C (105 °F) on 28 July 1948, and the lowest was a −23.9 °C (−11 °F) on 10 December 1879.[40]
Wha? Why are you arguing with me about my opinions?

dementor-- you need to find another outlet for your rage and inferiority complex. They don't make a very good pairing.

And btw, yes the weather comment was a joke. Of course you're too obtuse to notice.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Wha? Why are you arguing with me about my opinions?

dementor-- you need to find another outlet for your rage and inferiority complex. They don't make a very good pairing.

And btw, yes the weather comment was a joke. Of course you're too obtuse to notice.

I was hoping your entire post was a joke. Just wanted to make sure.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I was hoping your entire post was a joke. Just wanted to make sure.
dementor-- if you're looking for a joke, look in the mirror. Scan your existence on City Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City