Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Chicago 107 49.54%
San Francisco 84 38.89%
Both( Half n Half) 25 11.57%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:00 PM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times

Advertisements

Both great cities, SF is my choice.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:17 PM

261 posts, read 266,632 times
SF for sure... some people get bamboozled by a large population and tall buildings (Chicago) and those aren't things a city should be defined by

Old 09-28-2014, 12:37 AM

591 posts, read 781,729 times
Well it depends what you like. I'm in love with Chicago and it seems that 2.7-10 million others do too, so enjoy the place you love for some that is San Fransisco, for others that is chicago, for others it is NYC and ect.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspoon91 View Post
SF for sure... some people get bamboozled by a large population and tall buildings (Chicago) and those aren't things a city should be defined by

Bamboozled? It's all a conspiracy to get people to like Chicago. The conspiracy dates back generations to the evil Chicago inventing the skyscraper...and then constructing them by the hundreds....in order to bamboozle outsiders..particularly cheeseheads....but you tspoon have figured us out....Chicago...guilty as charged of willful bamboozlement

Old 09-28-2014, 11:05 AM

855 posts, read 771,739 times
It can't really be quantified with numbers. The difference is both aesthetic and cultural. It's subjective, obviously. To me, SF felt RELATIVELY dull and provincial. It didn't have the fun, big city vibe of places in the east. And aesthetically, the city was less attractive to me, although as I've said the surroundings are beautiful. The built form isn't as exciting as Chicago, which is a word class architectural marvel.

By the way, I'm not hating on SF. It's a neat place and obviously people live there for a reason. But the boosterism of some people in this thread is silly.

Edited to add: re. climate - I grew up near Seattle and while I enjoy mild weather, San Francisco is too mild. Seattle didn't have cold, foggy summers like San Francisco. I know you can leave town and be in 100 degree weather, but who wants to have to drive to escape grey cold fog? I looked up climate statistics, and it looks San Francisco in the summer is around the same temperature as Chicago in late April. No thanks.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:27 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
IThe built form isn't as exciting as Chicago, which is a word class architectural marvel.
Have you been to Chicago? On what planet is the built form in Chicago "a world class architectural marvel"?

Chicago is a great town, but the average built form isn't particularly notable, at all. SF at least has a very unique built form. Preferences are obviously subjective but there's no debating that SF has a more unique built form.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
What's not in Chicago's league though? Number if skyscrapers? Sheer population within the city limits (which are 5x as large in Chicago's case)? I can't really think of anything besides those two things that set Chicago apart in a different league, and those are superficial parameters that don't mean anything.
Chicago is a bigger city than SF. It has more culture, more nightlife, more almost everything. It's just generally a larger type of city.

SF is more unique, more refined, more affluent, more distinctive, but Chicago is a bigger type of city.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:36 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
I would prefer Chicago. San Francisco looks nice for the most part and is a really eclectic city in the truest sense of the word, but I'm not interested in living there whatsoever. I think I'll feel more at home in Oakland though.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:59 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,374,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Have you been to Chicago? On what planet is the built form in Chicago "a world class architectural marvel"?

Chicago is a great town, but the average built form isn't particularly notable, at all. SF at least has a very unique built form. Preferences are obviously subjective but there's no debating that SF has a more unique built form.

Well...it is the birthplace of the skyscraper and has a pretty stellar line up of the history of that architectural form...which has come to dominate the planet.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 PM

591 posts, read 781,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...hitecture.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...tecture-4.html
well its winning these threads and others so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City