Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer?
Chicago 107 49.54%
San Francisco 84 38.89%
Both( Half n Half) 25 11.57%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:35 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times

Advertisements

I visit on average once a year transiting from Asia to Chicago and stay with friends...several of whom wish to leave but are professionally obligated to remain there. Having been there more times than I can count, I'd most likely rarely ever visit if it weren't a convienent layover where several close friends reside.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:36 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Most of my travel is forced, through work, and if it coincides with a Friday return, THEN I'll stay a weekend. I certainly don't have the time to fly around for 4 days at a time and visit all these places for fun many times a year.
Did this all the time for years. Meetings M-Th noon or whatever (sometimes Wed, sometimes early Fri) and stayed with someone I knew for the rest of the week. Via music/arts, I know people in just about every metro in the country, and have helped out a good number of folks over the years in many ways, including putting up bands and booking tours and setting up exhibits and finding buyers and so on. I was often able to spend 4 days with local "guides" in 20 or so cities a year, something I've very-much missed these last few years. I have pretty good knowledge of this country and Canada (and parts of Mexico), but it's pretty lame in terms of global travel. With an early retirement coming up, it'll be back on the road for me by next spring, hopefully overseas annually as well.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Some of you people visit the same city you don't live in for vacay more than most people ever visit it at all. Sounds fishy to go somewhere, the same place, for a 3-4 day trip for fun 1-2 times a year. People who go to cities that frequently for personal fun/enjoyment usually reserve that for their favorite city and they make enough money to do so.

So basically, we have a ton of people on these boards who make enough money and can take the time off to spring for a short week in SF a couple times a year, and that's "good enough for them". Hotels in SF are easily $350-450+ a night any time of the year. Food is expensive. The flights too since it's across country for most. And because they go 1-2 times a year, SF must be basically their favorite city, at least to visit.

So if people are visiting SF (without having actual family there) for fun a couple times a year, are they visiting NYC, Boston, Paris, and other cities a couple times a year for fun, too?

I mean we have A LOT of wealthy vacationers on these boards! Or is it just me?? Most of my travel is forced, through work, and if it coincides with a Friday return, THEN I'll stay a weekend. I certainly don't have the time to fly around for 4 days at a time and visit all these places for fun many times a year.

And the only places I fly into for "fun" more than once a year, I have family there. Or childhood/college/grad school friends and they're getting married, etc.
So, it's other peoples problem that you don't make enough money to vacation?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I visit on average once a year transiting from Asia to Chicago and stay with friends...several of whom wish to leave but are professionally obligated to remain there. Having been there more times than I can count, I'd most likely rarely ever visit if it weren't a convienent layover where several close friends reside.
Right, I've stayed over in places where I have friends for free - they generally cooked meals as well outside hitting up their favorite restaurants. It's cost me very little over the years - the companies never minded paying for a Sunday vs Thursday flight, obviously, so even airfare was free.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by probablyimnotsure View Post
Whenever I see a smoker I just think "What a moron" or "low-class."
Stay classy!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:56 AM

596 posts, read 820,400 times
Quote:
Some of you people visit the same city you don't live in for vacay more than most people ever visit it at all. Sounds fishy to go somewhere, the same place, for a 3-4 day trip for fun 1-2 times a year. People who go to cities that frequently for personal fun/enjoyment usually reserve that for their favorite city and they make enough money to do so.

So basically, we have a ton of people on these boards who make enough money and can take the time off to spring for a short week in SF a couple times a year, and that's "good enough for them". Hotels in SF are easily $350-450+ a night any time of the year. Food is expensive. The flights too since it's across country for most. And because they go 1-2 times a year, SF must be basically their favorite city, at least to visit.

So if people are visiting SF (without having actual family there) for fun a couple times a year, are they visiting NYC, Boston, Paris, and other cities a couple times a year for fun, too?

I mean we have A LOT of wealthy vacationers on these boards! Or is it just me?? Most of my travel is forced, through work, and if it coincides with a Friday return, THEN I'll stay a weekend. I certainly don't have the time to fly around for 4 days at a time and visit all these places for fun many times a year.

And the only places I fly into for "fun" more than once a year, I have family there. Or childhood/college/grad school friends and they're getting married, etc.
People who frequent this board tend to be educated; therefore, they make more money. Plus, it's not other peoples problem that you don't make enough money to take vacations.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Whenever I see a smoker I just think "What a moron" or "low-class." Now, I would never say anything to him/her because it's none of my business.
This probablyimmature dude definitely belongs in CA

Old 09-25-2014, 11:14 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,069 times
mmhmm

Quote:
Whenever I see a smoker I just think "What a moron" or "low-class." Now, I would never say anything to him/her because it's none of my business.
Quote:
So, it's other peoples problem that you don't make enough money to vacation?
Quote:
People who frequent this board tend to be educated; therefore, they make more money. Plus, it's not other peoples problem that you don't make enough money to take vacations.
Something tells me not.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:52 AM

261 posts, read 266,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
I don't even know where to start with this ignorance lol you ever been to Chicago? Sf is cool but not on Chicago's level sorry bro lmao
U really must haven't been to both cities because u just gave me an empty statement. everything I said u can research and see why SF is better in all the IMPORTANT categories consistently. NOTHING in the Midwest is comparable to SF..

Chi is surrounded by corn fields and boring landscape with terrible weather. theres a reason why the Midwest is flyover states. SF is greater than Chi in every aspect that's relevant, NO CONTEST!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:54 AM

261 posts, read 266,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
I don't even know where to start with this ignorance lol you ever been to Chicago? Sf is cool but not on Chicago's level sorry bro lmao
on repeat>>>I live in Wisconsin about 3 hours from Chicago by car so im not biased but im truthful. ive been to both cities and Chicago doesn't compete with SF. I agree its clean but it just doesn't have the vibrancy upbeat like SF or NYC. SF is more beautiful, has better weather and more bars, restraunts, theaters, cafes etc per capita and more international diversity, distinctiveness, wealth, education, younger people, and much more progressive. and IMO it has more character and attitude and is a city that takes action for what it believes in. It is home to the Black Panther Party movement, Hippy/peace Movement, 420 movement, etc and are innovators in culture and lifestyle... but maybe I shouldn't have said it "blows chi out the water" that was just in retaliation for people who don't know how to compare cities across the board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City