Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,276 times

Advertisements

Sandia Peak is the closest place to ski and snowboard. It gets a decent little season every year (keep in mind that it is one of the farthest south ski resorts in the Northern Hemisphere). However to the north an hour you have world class skiing in Santa Fe, as well as Taos, Pajarito, Sipapu, Ski Apache (so. in Ruidoso), Durango, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 08:31 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
So in other words, ABQ is full of backward rednecks who have their heads in their backends and are stuck in the 1950's? Or is that just you?
Rednecks? I guess they didn't teach Geogrophy in that fancy school of yours. We have tan and brown necks here.

Quote:
Yes, I currently work. I have recently graduated college and have been looking for entry level work in the IT field since Sept-Nov of 08.
Should have studied harder.

Quote:
My field is apparently not friendly to hiring out of state. And I DO plan on finding work as soon as we move where we are going. But I don't need to explain myself to your type.
My company hires out of state all the time, including the IT field. There is a shortage of IT workers. Sadly for you, there is an abundance of snarky little twits. If you come across in an interview like you do here I think you are destined for a life at the Tacoma Target. No worries - maybe you can work your way to head of the cash register system. I think it qualifies as IT-related.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM

309 posts, read 1,025,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post

My company hires out of state all the time, including the IT field.
Sure they do. *pats you on the head*

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

215 posts, read 652,263 times
I can't believe some of the rude comments on this post. My guess is if it continues..it will probably be closed down.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Sure they do. *pats you on the head*
Send me a PM and I'll send you a link to several local companies recruiting nationally in the IT field. There is a shortage here. Abq. and the surrounding area includes Sandia Labs, Intel, Honeywell, Los Alamos Labs, State of NM, City of Abq, as well as the contract firms that supply them labor. Have a solid resume (or solid grades for a new graduate), a clean record, the ability to obtain a clearance in many cases, and a positive attitude. Snarky Gen-Y attitudes don't make the grade here.

Peace.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM

429 posts, read 1,477,283 times
hopeful-transplant - I agree, I was hoping we could stay on topic but alas... Thanks for your nice comments above - I run into the "gotta spread the points around" message a lot too. And I WOULD spread them around if more people contributed helpful info and left the rudeness out.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:42 PM

309 posts, read 1,025,869 times
Thanks everybody for info and suggestions. I still have tons of questions and concerns but realize most of them are pointless. For example, there is an article in the local paper about how Missouri winters are becoming warmer, and in the next several decades, temperatures may rise as much as 3 degrees F (7 degrees in the next century). Not a huge deal IMO, but I got to thinking about ABQ and how dry of a season it seems to be this year. Will tempeatures in the next 30 years make it harder to live? I realize that we can always move should that happen, but I tend to think long term. It is a weakness sometimes.

Many of the replies have made me lean toward the ABQ decision though. If there wasn't an economic recession/depression the decision might have been easier, but who knows. Anyway, my wife still has to do the interview, they may not offer her the job, might not offer her has much as the recruiter promised, might renege on the Bonus/relocation expenses, or she just might not like the clinic. Who knows. I like to be prepared and informed. And this thread (even with my regretful outbursts), has provided me with a slew of information, and given me a lot to think about. I have given out reps as I could.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM

215 posts, read 652,263 times
Good Luck....like I said, If that Merry Go Round passes by and offers you the 'gold ring' grab it and go where it takes you. Hope all works out well for you both, wherever that might be...

Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
dpgtfc,

The bottom line in all of this is that this decision is YOURS and YOUR WIFES.

We all can give you our opinions, and tell you the pro and cons etc. etc. etc. but the honest truth is that all of us have our own opinions about this state. What I see here might not be what you see.

When someone comes to City-Data and asks for opinions from the members, I don't think it is a helpful thing for all of us to say, "Oh yes, this is the place you need to move!" "Choose us instead of Tacoma (or wherever)!!!" "I love it here so I just KNOW you will love it here too."

I realize that you are faced with choosing between two places, and I can respect that even if I cannot relate to it. I KNEW where I was supposed to go. I never had to ask anyone what they thought or for their opinions. I guess it is not so crystal clear for everyone.

I am truly sorry if you felt insulted by my replies to you, but I was seeing some red flags that were telling me from what you said that this might not be the right choice for you. Maybe I misinterpreted it. BUT I would rather be very blunt with someone than talk them into coming here if it was going to be a huge mistake in their lives.

Bottom line: YOU have to weigh all the options, do your research, and make the decision that is best for you.

I wish you the best in your decision, whatever it turns out to be. New Mexico is a wonderful wonderful place, but it is not for everyone. If it is right for you, I think you will just KNOW....

(P.S. Take all the global warming stuff with a grain of salt .... it is a theory that many people do not believe anyway. But of course that is another thread. )

Old 03-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks everybody for info and suggestions. I still have tons of questions and concerns but realize most of them are pointless. For example, there is an article in the local paper about how Missouri winters are becoming warmer, and in the next several decades, temperatures may rise as much as 3 degrees F (7 degrees in the next century). Not a huge deal IMO, but I got to thinking about ABQ and how dry of a season it seems to be this year. Will tempeatures in the next 30 years make it harder to live? I realize that we can always move should that happen, but I tend to think long term. It is a weakness sometimes.

Many of the replies have made me lean toward the ABQ decision though. If there wasn't an economic recession/depression the decision might have been easier, but who knows. Anyway, my wife still has to do the interview, they may not offer her the job, might not offer her has much as the recruiter promised, might renege on the Bonus/relocation expenses, or she just might not like the clinic. Who knows. I like to be prepared and informed. And this thread (even with my regretful outbursts), has provided me with a slew of information, and given me a lot to think about. I have given out reps as I could.

Seems fair enough. Lets find you a job. Send me a PM with a brief summary of your education and skills. I'll determine who to pass it around to among the SNL, LANL, and Intel contacts that I know. I'll give you their information; you can then work with them directly. If you are a recent graduate, I won't have any openings as I hire mostly experienced, cleared staff. I can't promise anything other than opening a few doors for you. I work with quite a few recruiters as well as Staff Aug companies locally. Peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City