Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vancouver vs. San Francisco
Vancouver 102 42.32%
San Francisco 139 57.68%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:07 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Agree 100%

Now that I think about it, this is the 6th Olympics in the west. God certainly smiled on this part of the world.

Los Angeles 1936
Squaw Valley 1960
Los Angeles 1984
Calgary 1988
Salt Lake City 2002
Vancouver 2010
I went to school for a year in Squaw when I was younger,such a small place I always wondered what the ceremony was like and if it was the smallest place to ever host the Olympics? IDK,but the West has definitely been blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 03:45 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,754,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
I went to school for a year in Squaw when I was younger,such a small place I always wondered what the ceremony was like and if it was the smallest place to ever host the Olympics? IDK,but the West has definitely been blessed.
Not to be contrary or anything, but can you please elaborate on how you went to school in Squaw (I assume you mean Squaw Valley)? Basically, this is my neck of the woods, and I can't think of any colleges anywhere near here that aren't community colleges or in the Central Valley (where I commute to school). I love the region, and am amazed that we hosted the Olympics, despite that fact that it was 20+ years before I was born. I would love to see a Tahoe Winter Olympics at some point. That would be incredible. But...I totally agree. Western North America is the most beautiful place in the world; absolutely blessed by God (or whichever deity you choose to believe in).

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
When was the last time you were in Vancouver? While I'll admit it's downtown is much cleaner,it has a huge homeless problem.
Last August, and SF the week prior. As a casual observer, I didn't find the homeless presence in Vancouver to be nearly as apparent as in San Francisco.
I spent most of my time in the West End area, FWIW.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 AM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
Quote:
Squaw Valley is actually quite a large ski resort. Though, the area as a whole isn't too big if that is what you were saying.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:12 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
I can tell you one thing, the senior citizens in the SF Bay area are alot tougher than anything I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3-yIFnBP8

YouTube - AC TRANSIT BUS FIGHT (the clip you didnt see)

Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
I can tell you one thing, the senior citizens in the SF Bay area are alot tougher than anything I have ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI3-yIFnBP8

YouTube - AC TRANSIT BUS FIGHT (the clip you didnt see)
OMG I can't stop laughing. LOL that first video man, that 67 year old molly-whopped that dude!

Old 02-19-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
Squaw Valley is actually quite a large ski resort. Though, the area as a whole isn't too big if that is what you were saying.
The mountain is large..the village is small and Olympic Valley all together is small,the closest towns being Truckee and Tahoe City..

Old 02-19-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
Not to be contrary or anything, but can you please elaborate on how you went to school in Squaw (I assume you mean Squaw Valley)? Basically, this is my neck of the woods, and I can't think of any colleges anywhere near here that aren't community colleges or in the Central Valley (where I commute to school). I love the region, and am amazed that we hosted the Olympics, despite that fact that it was 20+ years before I was born. I would love to see a Tahoe Winter Olympics at some point. That would be incredible. But...I totally agree. Western North America is the most beautiful place in the world; absolutely blessed by God (or whichever deity you choose to believe in).
There is a boarding school in Squaw Valley (SVA),if you've been to the resort you've seen the school. I do agree though a Tahoe Olympics would be very fitting.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
I'd go with Vancouver because Canada is IMHO; far ahead of the United States as far as social issues are concerned...for example equal marriage rights.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
I voted San Fran and have spent little time in Vancouver, but honestly think Vancouver is one of the coolest cities I have ever been too sans warm weather for the winter Olympics. But can't wait to get back and explore more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City