Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City is Most Overhyped on This Forum?
Omaha, Nebraska 8 8.00%
Richmond, Virginia 21 21.00%
Pueblo, Colorado 5 5.00%
Scranton, Pennsylvania 8 8.00%
Buffalo, New York 5 5.00%
Los Angeles, California 13 13.00%
Houston, Texas 46 46.00%
Chicago, Illinois 20 20.00%
Miami, Florida 7 7.00%
Louisville, Kentucky 2 2.00%
Frederick, Maryland 0 0%
St. Louis, Missouri 4 4.00%
Denver, Colorado 8 8.00%
Santa Fe, New Mexico 1 1.00%
North Carolina (ALL OF IT) 18 18.00%
Oil City, Pennsylvania (Just for Kicks) 6 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:29 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Looking at the poll results, I think it is fair to say "Houston, we have a problem".

Old 03-09-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
I barely bring up Frederick
Frederick is a great town (or at least most of the core area is good, though there are a few rough areas) but the suburban areas are blech personified (if you don't like segregated use suburban development).

Old 03-09-2009, 06:35 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
And That's the reason it belongs in this thread...?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 PM

I don't think Frederick belongs in this thread (was very surprised to see it actually), but I didn't create the thread.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Sheesh, Billiam! This thread was meant merely in pure jest. Learn to take a harmless joke! It's nothing personal at all against you! There was a time there that you were nearly as prolific about loving Frederick as I was annoying about loving Scranton, hence why I included it. You're cool, man! Chillax!!! I also included Oil City because we long-timers can recall one particular Florida member whose OBSESSION with "buying a cheap house in Oil City, PA" became legendary on here---so much so that a member from Ohio took a road trip there and did a photo tour for us! LOL! You've toned yourself down ADMIRABLY, as have I (why brag about Scranton when I'm obviously not going to be living there much longer?)

I'm sorry that I erred in forgetting Atlanta as a poll option. I could never consider NYC to be "over hyped" when it is one of the most prominent, powerful, and influential cities on an international basis. You can't put NYC in the same league as Atlanta or Houston.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Sheesh, Billiam! This thread was meant merely in pure jest. Learn to take a harmless joke! It's nothing personal at all against you! There was a time there that you were nearly as prolific about loving Frederick as I was annoying about loving Scranton, hence why I included it. You're cool, man! Chillax!!! I also included Oil City because we long-timers can recall one particular Florida member whose OBSESSION with "buying a cheap house in Oil City, PA" became legendary on here---so much so that a member from Ohio took a road trip there and did a photo tour for us! LOL! You've toned yourself down ADMIRABLY, as have I (why brag about Scranton when I'm obviously not going to be living there much longer?)

I'm sorry that I erred in forgetting Atlanta as a poll option. I could never consider NYC to be "over hyped" when it is one of the most prominent, powerful, and influential cities on an international basis. You can't put NYC in the same league as Atlanta or Houston.
See, there you go...NYC's status as influential and international has no bearing on whether some of the forum members might overhype the city. The question isn't how great the city is, but is it overhyped by people on this forum...

One reason there are so many discussions about both Atlanta and Houston is because of unncessary childish snippy comments like "You can't put NYC in the same league as Atlanta or Houston." Why was that comment needed in a civil mature discussion?

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
See, there you go...NYC's status as influential and international has no bearing on whether some of the forum members might overhype the city. The question isn't how great the city is, but is it overhyped by people on this forum...

One reason there are so many discussions about both Atlanta and Houston is because of unncessary childish snippy comments like "You can't put NYC in the same league as Atlanta or Houston." Why was that comment needed in a civil mature discussion?
You can't honestly put NYC in the same league. NYC, our nation's largest city, has 8.25 million residents in a metropolitan area that encompasses FOUR states (as much as the people of NYC refuse to consider PA as part of their metro by not changing themselves from "Tri-State Area" to "Quad-State Area") and an overall population nearing 20 million. I don't think any foreigner would presume Atlanta or Houston to be more influential than NYC. It's not "putting the other cities down." It's stating a valid point!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:10 PM

The idea that a person can think New York is overrated and the idea that Atlanta or Houston aren't comparable to New York aren't mutually exclusive.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:25 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Default Not everyone likes the biggest cities including New York.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
The idea that a person can think New York is overrated and the idea that Atlanta or Houston aren't comparable to New York aren't mutually exclusive.
Its an opinion and I agree with this. I can personally say, my quality of life improved alot when I moved back out to Long Island from NYC. However its another thing entirely I think, that some biased partisan posters on this board only try to underrate and attack New York (or other large cities) in order to build up there own.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:36 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Pueblo only has 3 votes so it looks like we need more information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City