Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

Probably the ones the give out the most social services, food stamps, section 8 housing etc. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 08:52 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,803,534 times
The rural south or rural midwest would be your best bet. Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are all very cheap places to live for the most part. I live in Michigan and people here work at walmart and buy houses for 40k and do just fine. You cannot do that in the northeast, or any other up and coming place. If you know you will have a lousy job, have it in a place like Michigan, Indiana or Mississippi where you can afford to live. Dont find yourself earning minimum wage in New Jersey or Massachusetts or your life will be a nightmare.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:43 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
One of the great benefits of working a minimum wage job is the daily laughter they enjoy, talking to co-workers on their lunch breaks about how they're EVER going to pay off their college student loans.
I have to totally agree with this comment. I know those who are in higher paying jobs, they tell me that many days, they look at the lower paid employees and are sometimes jealous as they are laughing, taking their paid breaks, going back to work and doing what is expected of them,then going home and being done with it. Some of those higher pays require you to work above and beyond and take your work home with you. Even if you don't physically take it home, you tend to take it home mentally. More people are depending on your abilities.

Not that it is a bad thing, but just different. Careful what you wish for, you might just get it. Money isn't the end all. It's good to be comfortable and better than living on the streets, but many have given up high paying positions for a better life.

I would have to say that a good place for a minimum wage job would be one where you could enjoy the things you like to do on a smaller income.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:46 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The rural south or rural midwest would be your best bet. Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio are all very cheap places to live for the most part. I live in Michigan and people here work at walmart and buy houses for 40k and do just fine. You cannot do that in the northeast, or any other up and coming place. If you know you will have a lousy job, have it in a place like Michigan, Indiana or Mississippi where you can afford to live. Dont find yourself earning minimum wage in New Jersey or Massachusetts or your life will be a nightmare.
Thus the reason why so many people in Mass. on on social services, food stamps, and section 8 housing.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 PM

20 posts, read 38,769 times
I'm kind of disappointed in some of the "judgy" responses on this thread - but the rebuttals are very intelligent and mature. I would suggest the areas with the more affordable housing (but consider this, cheaper housing = cheaper wages). Texas seems like a good start, we've actually considered moving there. I think it may be better to avoid places that are too rural, you'll then be competing big time for work. Somewhere not too close, not too far from a city. I know that can be just about anywhere, seems like. Also, consider the more gritty, less desirable places - like away from the beach, away from the locations that are walking distance to shops/parks - picking homes nearer the interstate, near plants, less attractive towns.. not really sought after places are something to consider, and definitely more affordable. We live in East Chicago, IN. Not the best place to live, but certainly affordable. And I know pre-built/trailer homes are stereotyped, but for many that's a good place to live...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:50 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Makes you wonder how people who make minimum wage on the coasts get by.....I honestly don't have a clue!

Old 04-08-2015, 09:47 AM

595 posts, read 1,256,186 times
According to the latest figures there is no longer a state where a min wage worker can afford a 2 bedroom apt. In 1968 adjusted dollars this would made min wage = to $10.58 and 36 out of 50 states had 2 bedroom apts that were affordable at this price range.

In today's min wage this 2 bed apt would require 120 hrs a week in NYC and even the former havens of AR and WV require a 63 hr workweek.

This is not to suggest that min wage should be an adult's goal. But for many min wage is all that is being offered.

Minimum wage was never meant to be self supporting. More like for someone who needs to prove their reliability or for retirees who want to keep busy and bring in a little extra.

Housing over $500 luxury. Get roommates.
Pets luxury. Get them a new home
Private car luxury. Get a bus pass.
Sofa at thrift shop. Get on your knees.

The morning news said too much FB is depressing. This topic is depressing and real.

Ft Smith, AR; Johnson City, TN; Pueblo, CO; Syracuse, NY; and Bakersfield, CA seem to have the best bang for your buck and best oppty's to better wages according to Kiplinger.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:28 AM

658 posts, read 1,336,031 times
Move to New Mexico. Albuquerque cant seem to attract decent good paying companies to save its life, but its a mecca for fast food afficianados, wal marts, and public assistance seekers.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:26 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Move to New Mexico. Albuquerque cant seem to attract decent good paying companies to save its life, but its a mecca for fast food afficianados, wal marts, and public assistance seekers.
Please don't. Albuquerque has a surplus of unskilled workers.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:58 PM

401 posts, read 552,050 times
To some extent, I want to say Philadelphia. I know people who only paid $300-$400 in rent. Granted they were in sketchy neighborhoods or possibly the center of the ghetto. As long as you keep your wits, you are fine. And not wandering off at night. You can get by I think with a minimum wage salary there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City