Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:02 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,438,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Pittsburgh has way cheaper housing and is a lot less crowded. It's also got worse neighborhoods, a pretty quiet downtown, and none of the perks that make Portland such a great place, like the free downtown shuttle, Powell's, the food carts, etc.
Also no food open on Sundays, even most fast food places were closed. And really weird traffic patterns forced by weird streets.

The Duquesne Funicular Railway (http://www.hamell.net/2011/06/pittsburgh-travel-pictures/ - broken link) was fun to ride once, and the view from the top of the hill was pretty cool.

I'd like to spend more time visiting there, but I don't think Pittsburgh comes close to Portland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,775 times
I have never been to Portland. Not saying it is not a nice city, but I've been too Pittsburgh, I stayed for about a month and usually always had something to do. One of the best cities I've visted. There southside section gives you an overwhelaming amount of options and also great view of the city. They also have goood looking women, and for the most part nice people so I'd say it was ideal for your situation. It may have harsh winters but what do you expect its in the northeast... Buy a coat and you'll be fine it's not alaska. Plus the downtown area is more focused on night life then straight up business. Here is a couple pictures of both cities.

Portland:
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/p...um/4527387.jpg

Pittsburgh:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3104/2...c052be6c_b.jpg

Old 07-21-2012, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,775 times
I would also like to say it doesn't make much sense how people say it's not very crowded although the population may have decreased the greater pittsburgh area (reffering to allegehney county) is the 31st highest populated county in america. And it still has a higher surrounding population. The city is not dead it simply covers more ground. Which means more places to go. If you disagree here's a link to prove it. [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_populous_counties_in_the_United_S tates]List of the most populous counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]. And PA actually has a very liberal veiw which I myself am not a fan of. They plan on medicannaly legalizing marijuana in the next year. If you don't know much about a city you should not bash on it without being able to truely back it up. This is why I have nothing to say about Portland but I'm sure its a great city, I plan to visit one day.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
The pictures of Pittsburgh look beautiful. I have never been there but I would like to visit some day. I've heard a lot about its culture and history. I live in Portland now but hope to be moving to Cleveland OH if all goes well next spring. I will be near Pittsburgh and am going to plan to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City