Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think London is overrated
Yes 13 30.95%
No 29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
*First of all Texas is powerful enough to be its own country so fall back off houston*(get that out the way)

Typical European sentiment-if your american however,, u should be embarassed

LOL at fordham being ghetto.lol Its a collection of stores and buildings just like anywhere else guess its all those blacks ands latins right?
This is an attempt at making peace and it's also the truth:

Both New York *and* London are fantastic cities....different, but both fantastic and world class. Personally, I would not dismiss either of them, nor would I claim that one is better than the other. Honestly, I would live in either and would not be able to choose between them....both bring different attributes to the table, but of course, both have their share of problems, like anywhere else. Both have famous parks too -- London has Hyde Park, New York has Central Park. Of course, New York's skyline is vastly superior, but London's skyline is rapidly growing.

....then of course, there's Paris....hard to choose between the 3 of them, IMO.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
American cities are just as good as european cities.
That's debatable.

Quote:
Im tired of people thinking only new york can go against european cities.
There are a few American cities that can compare to European cities...but not that many. Financially many can, but not on a streetlife, cultural, transportation, architecture, overall beauty level.

Quote:
If europe was so great than the combined effort of london and paris and rome and basically everything in between should be greater than that of america but it isnt. One can make a case that LOS ANGELES and NEW YORK alone have way more world wide influence than europe itself.
There's a lot more to "being important" than just the raw-number economic power. The cultural influence that Rome and Athens have had on our world is unparalleled. London and Paris are both cultural and economic powerhouses.

Quote:
As far as london... London is overrated in the fact that its seen as competition to new york. How? New yorks energy and vibrance cannot be matched. We talk and move with energy over here. New yorkers have a swagger that lodoners couldnt possibly match.
How do you know this? You've never been to London and have done absolutely nothing to learn anything about the city. All you've done is seen that someone questioned New York's superiority and you can't handle the fact that not everyone revolves around New York City.

Quote:
What icons does london have on the level of the empire state building or the statue of liberty(a symbol that represents america,freedom and hope)
How about Big Ben, London Bridge Tower, St. Paul's Cathedral, the Old Bailey, or Swiss Re Tower?

Quote:
London is dominant in global finance, but only thanx to there convenient location to the rest of the world
And New York is a financial powerhouse thanks to its convenient location in the United States. Along the same lines, Houston is powerful because it has oil, Boston is influential due to its colleges, and Washington DC is powerful because the Federal Government is located in the city.

Quote:
On top of that NYC IS THE FASHION AND FOOD AND CULTURAL(the met,hip hop-most dominate form of pop culture in the last thirty years, nat-hist museum etc, punk rock etc) capitol of the world.
It certainly is tops in the United States...and it's one of the Fashion/Food/Cultural capitals of the world along with London, Paris, and Tokyo.

Quote:
So much of american culture has come through here, which in turn, influences london and the rest of the world. London fail agaisnt new york just like any other city abroad lmao
Keep LMAOing man...all the way to the crazy house.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,771,734 times
Quote:
*First of all Texas is powerful enough to be its own country so fall back off houston*(get that out the way)

Typical European sentiment-if your american however,, u should be embarassed

LOL at fordham being ghetto.lol Its a collection of stores and buildings just like anywhere else guess its all those blacks ands latins right?
Well I live back and fourth in between Europe and the United States so I know what I'm talking about.

And Tennessee could be its own country if it wishes there is nothing special about Texas having the ability to form its own country. Anyplace could "powerful" enough to be its own country, Moderator cut: Personal Attack

Last edited by doggiebus; 08-07-2009 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: watch it!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:12 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-SV View Post
Well I live back and fourth in between Europe and the United States so I know what I'm talking about.

And Tennessee could be its own country if it wishes there is nothing special about Texas having the ability to form its own country. Anyplace could "powerful" enough to be its own country, ignoramus.
First off before i adress tmac let me put your foot in your mouth once again. Texas,california and new york could be there own countries with trillion dollar gdps, its not about just anybody saying they can be a country ,dummy. These three could be self suffienct if need be.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
First off before i adress tmac let me put your foot in your mouth once again. Texas,california and new york could be there own countries with trillion dollar gdps, its not about just anybody saying they can be a country ,dummy. These three could be self suffienct if need be.
I will agree with you about the fact that Texas and California could be their own countries...I'm not totally sure New York could be, but the Tri-State area certainly could.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Must have been some amazing crack...do you have any left?
ha! for you, most definitely

Old 08-04-2009, 09:19 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,826,722 times
Nope London is beautiful

Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Nope London is beautiful
Of course, it's Boston's giant brother

Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 PM

That's what I've heard too...I haven't been there before though, is there any truth to that?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's what I've heard too...I haven't been there before though, is there any truth to that?
Having lived in London and having been to Boston a couple of times, I can tell you that there's a LOT of truth to that. I was actually in Boston a few weeks ago and while randomly driving around, I recall thinking to myself "Damn, this is like a smaller version of London".

Speaking of Boston though, it's also resembles Glasgow, Scotland too....check out Google Street View if you're in doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City