Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The unofficial World capital is...
New York 157 63.82%
London 62 25.20%
Paris 5 2.03%
Rome 5 2.03%
Jerusalem 7 2.85%
Tokyo 10 4.07%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
boy, you really take this seriously! ok, NY can be world capital
Yeah lol, I am going overboard on this. I actually though of NY as the "world capital" even years ago when the city was a dump. But not because the city had Broadway or Wall Street (who cares?), simply because of the United Nations. Put this way - if the UN moved to London, I would gladly say London is the "world capital"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,066,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Most of the people who are high on NYC are actually from NYC. But I've been to most of the cities on this list and can tell you that NYC, like Paris, is yesterday's news.

NYC isn't the financial capital of the world anymore, and hasn't been for about a decade. London is. And London is more diverse, if that's what you're into. Personally, I like a very British London, but that's also yesterday's news. Today, some parts of London are like a cleaner version of Islamabad, with lots of eastern eurpopean immigrants.

NYC isn't even the Capitol of the U.S., let alone the world. In a Political sense, the capitol of the U.S is of course in DC. In a cultural sense, the capital is in LA. In fact, America's identity, both within and without the U.S., is largely a myth built by the power of Hollywood. LA makes the only products the U.S. exports more of than it imports - movies and music. And NYC reputation is helped simply because Hollwood actors decided to make world wide series like Friends and Seinfeld, which are of course completely unrealistic.

NYC is soooo last decade. It needs to get over itself, and learn to accept that it's just not that as relevant as it used to be.
So says the person who comes from somewhere that... nevermind. I'll say it-doesnt matter.lol. Just keeping it real

London just surpassed nyc(financially) months ago lets not act like they had the title for long. Nyc has been the world capitol since the world wars. Where new greatness, london is old greatness and not as epic of a city as new york. Nyc is a testament to the greatness of human kind and how far a city can go. The ONLY SINGLE THING even making it a competition is londons LOCATION. Nyc is more isolated to the rest of the world. And its still the. capitol F*k london. Even people from ldn look up to nyc, wanting to visit and all that. New yorkers could give two... about london and big ben.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I would like to hear what London, Paris or even more so Brussels has that would make it recognized as the world capital? Especially outside Europe. Why would someone living in South America or China recognize London or Brussels as the capital? Again museums, theaters, Wall Street, Hollywood, the French Opera or the Queen of England are not important here, this is just for a capital city not the Alpha +++ city. Capital cities are where the government is, and that is for better or worse, the United Nations.
NATO is headquartered in Brussels, and it's the capital of the EU. You can look it up. We really aren't electing a world capital here - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,276,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
NATO is headquartered in Brussels, and it's the capital of the EU. You can look it up. We really aren't electing a world capital here - everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
And neither NATO nor EU represent the majority of the world.
How much influence has Brussels and EU over Milwaukee, huh?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:55 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And neither NATO nor EU represent the majority of the world.
How much influence has Brussels and EU over Milwaukee, huh?
You can read up about NATO (or not - I don't care) - some believe it's more important than the UN. There is no right or wrong here.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:06 AM

734 posts, read 2,046,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttlefish View Post
How do I get across your thick skull of yours.

UNICEF is a UN body, it was created by the UN in 1946. You can google it, wiki it, go to the UN website or inquire yourself at the UN HQ. Of course it was designed to run independently to best perform its function, which is a humanitarian body for children aid. But it's a part of UN.

Red Cross is an organization made before the UN in the 19th century. It's not associated with the UN, it's not affiliated with the UN, it's not made by the UN because that would be a time paradox. Simply, it's NOT the UN.

Where do you see any similarity? Only a delusional person who forces his own assumption see a similarity between UNICEF and Red Cross.

As a reminder, UNICEF is an abbreviation of United Nations Children's Fund

List of current United Nation's organizations is here. Press CTRL + F in your browser and type in "Unicef".
You're not getting any points here. Move on.
Holy ****. Are you kidding me right now?! NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT UNICEF ISN'T PART OF THE UN! If you honestly thought that, you're mildly retarded. I keep saying "UNICEF can easily perform its functions outside of the UN, a la the Red Cross" and your response is "UNICEF IS PART OF THE UN LOLOLOOL" Dude, no one was ever saying it wasn't- the point was it doesn't need the UN to be effective: The Red Cross/Red Crescent, Doctors Without Borders, etc are all perfect examples of that.

God help you if you respond with another link stating how UNICEF is part of the UN. Seriously, God have mercy on your simple little soul if you do that. That's not the discussion.

Quote:
And what the heck is that supposed to mean?
It's supposed to mean that something being within an organization does not mean it cannot effectively exist without. You didn't get it. Big surprise there.

Quote:
You seem to think the US politics is that important in multinational decisions.
No, I seem to think political power is integral to a capital.

Quote:
As a foreigner, I don't think it is and if a capital of a nation is chosen also as the unofficial capital of the world I pick London because Britons are more inclusive to world's society than the Americans will ever be. There's another thread in this forum about which city wields the most power in the US. The answer is obviously Wash DC. But here the question asks differently. I don't think an answer can fit all.
Again, you think the word 'capital' and the idea of political power are different. They are not. You are wrong.

Last edited by LucasS6; 04-07-2009 at 12:33 AM..

Old 04-07-2009, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Holy ****. Are you kidding me right now?! NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT UNICEF ISN'T PART OF THE UN! If you honestly thought that, you're mildly retarded. I keep saying "UNICEF can easily perform its functions outside of the UN, a la the Red Cross" and your response is "UNICEF IS PART OF THE UN LOLOLOOL" Dude, no one was ever saying it wasn't- the point was it doesn't need the UN to be effective: The Red Cross/Red Crescent, Doctors Without Borders, etc are all perfect examples of that..
Er, who is funding UNICEF?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
You can read up about NATO (or not - I don't care) - some believe it's more important than the UN. There is no right or wrong here.
And some belive black helicopters are waiting to be deployed...
Again, NATO does not consist of even half the countries that participate in the UN. UN is the only truly global body on the planet.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 AM

156 posts, read 376,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Holy ****. Are you kidding me right now?! NO ONE IS ARGUING THAT UNICEF ISN'T PART OF THE UN! If you honestly thought that, you're mildly retarded. I keep saying "UNICEF can easily perform its functions outside of the UN, a la the Red Cross" and your response is "UNICEF IS PART OF THE UN LOLOLOOL" Dude, no one was ever saying it wasn't- the point was it doesn't need the UN to be effective: The Red Cross/Red Crescent, Doctors Without Borders, etc are all perfect examples of that.
Your quote: "And UNICEF is entirely seperable from the UN"

What kind of a fantastic statement is that when there's a website clearly saying that UNICEF is a clear & present organization of the UN?

The one who's amazing here is the one talks as if UNICEF is a separate entity as the UN. IT IS NOT. No matter how independent their working from let's say UN Secretariat (they're), UNICEF is still part of the UN and therefore UNICEF success is UN success.

Quote:
God help you if you respond with another link stating how UNICEF is part of the UN. Seriously, God have mercy on your simple little soul if you do that. That's not the discussion.
No the real problem is you offer to say UNICEF is a working organization & UN is not, while in reality UNICEF is a part of UN. The wise thing to do is to not use UNICEF anymore in your working international organization because bringing it up means admitting UN is effective. Of course the UN has been largely effective in promoting their social & humanitarian projects in UNICEF, FAO, WHO, ECOSOC. That's why from the beginning I think UN is still needed so far for its humanitarian organizations but not for its peacekeeping initiatives.

Quote:
It's supposed to mean that something being within an organization does not mean it cannot effectively exist without. You didn't get it. Big surprise there.
The fact is you're wishing on something that NEVER EXISTED. UNICEF is a part of UN, its success is the UN success. UNICEF can't exist outside the UN or else it's no longer UNICEF. No UN, no UNICEF.

Quote:
No, I seem to think political power is integral to a capital.

Again, you think the word 'capital' and the idea of political power are different. They are not. You are wrong.
There's no capital of the world and there's no 1 nation commanding over all nations on this very earth. Political systems of a single country is disregarded for the common need like trade and information exchange.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 AM

156 posts, read 376,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Er, who is funding UNICEF?
I think it's the mercs sold in UNICEF store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City