Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city skyline do you find the most impressive:
Pueblo 110 40.89%
Chicago 159 59.11%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 01:53 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,519,793 times

Advertisements

Pueblo, CO...slightly larger version of Elgin? :/

Old 04-03-2012, 02:28 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Downtown Pueblo part 3

This is a cool colonial style building in downtown.

I was able to fly over downtown and took some pictures.

The main library.

These are the same but different views so I decided to post them.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Pueblo, CO...slightly larger version of Elgin? :/
Not really as Elgin is close to Chicago thus more of a bedroom community while Pueblo is the principal city of a region that is over 20 counties in 2 states.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:59 PM

771 posts, read 1,395,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Not really as Elgin is close to Chicago thus more of a bedroom community while Pueblo is the principal city of a region that is over 20 counties in 2 states.
You don't say! Gee golly!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Yet...they are roughly similar in size

Old 04-03-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yet...they are roughly similar in size
This is a interesting statement and one I could spend hours discussing. I will do my best to keep my comments brief.

I think Americans put to much emphases on how big a city is in terms of its importance to the state and region. Sure its a factor but its not the only factor. Is Chicago more important then Pueblo is? Sure. However I don't think any suburb, no matter how large it is, can be more important then a principal city that is decent size and controls a region. I am not saying this as a homer but I would say the same thing for Casper Wyoming, Rapid City South Dakota, etc. As a side note I have traveled the world and have a different take on what a "world class city" is. I have toyed with the idea of starting a thread to discuss it but I understand no one would agree with me so I don't really see the point.

As far as Pueblo specifically. Pueblo is part of a emerging front range megalopolis. The principal cities are Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Of these cities Denver will be the northern Hub, Pueblo is the central hub and Albuquerque will be the southern hub. That means in time the 3 major cities in this part of the country will be Denver, Pueblo and Albuquerque. You can already see that now and while Pueblo is only 110,000 people has a lot more influence in politics then many cities do that are larger. That is, also, why Pueblo has a large urban area with buildings that amaze people when they really take the time to look at what this city has. Now I will admit Pueblo lacks sky scrapers but we almost got them before the economic collapse in the 80's with the steel industry and again right before this recession so I believe its only a matter of time before Pueblo has some. I mean of all the so called rust belt cities how many are back at their peak population like Pueblo is? I know this is about the future but the future of a region and city is important when discussing what role a city plays especially in politics.

I hope this was brief and if I said something that did not make sense I will be more then happy to elaborate.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-03-2012 at 05:35 PM..

Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
This is a interesting statement and one I could spend hours discussing. I will do my best to keep my comments brief.

I think Americans put to much emphases on how big a city is in terms of its importance to the state and region. Sure its a factor but its not the only factor. Is Chicago more important then Pueblo is? Sure. However I don't think any suburb, no matter how large it is, can be more important then a principal city that is decent size and controls a region. I am not saying this as a homer but I would say the same thing for Casper Wyoming, Rapid City South Dakota, etc. As a side note I have traveled the world and have a different take on what a "world class city" is. I have toyed with the idea of starting a thread to discuss it but I understand no one would agree with me so I don't really see the point.

As far as Pueblo specifically. Pueblo is part of a emerging front range megalopolis. The principal cities are Fort Collins, Denver, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Of these cities Denver will be the northern Hub, Pueblo is the central hub and Albuquerque will be the southern hub. That means in time the 3 major cities in this part of the country will be Denver, Pueblo and Albuquerque. You can already see that now and while Pueblo is only 110,000 people has a lot more influence in politics then many cities do that are larger. That is, also, why Pueblo has a large urban area with buildings that amaze people when they really take the time to look at what this city has. I know this is about the future but the future of a region and city is important when discussing what role a city plays especially in politics.

I hope this was brief and if I said something that did not make sense I will be more then happy to elaborate.
You can keep your enthusiasm about Pueblo. That's fine. But comparing it to Chicago is ridiculous. Even you have to see this... I thought this thread was a joke at first (I may have even voted for Pueblo sarcastically like many others), but the fact that it is serious is definitely a little ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You can keep your enthusiasm about Pueblo. That's fine. But comparing it to Chicago is ridiculous. Even you have to see this... I thought this thread was a joke at first (I may have even voted for Pueblo sarcastically like many others), but the fact that it is serious is definitely a little ridiculous.
To be fair we kind of got off track as this thread is only about the buildings in both cities and yes I do agree and have said so many times that Chicago is more important then Pueblo and has a larger skyline. I do think that per capita Pueblo has a variety of buildings just like you would see in Chicago and I think would amaze people who actually looked at them.

I really want this thread get people to think and realize that just because a city is smaller it can have a lot to offer in terms of architecture and that large cities like Chicago do not own that.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
To be fair we kind of got off track as this thread is only about the buildings in both cities and yes I do agree and have said so many times that Chicago is more important then Pueblo and has a larger skyline. I do think that per capita Pueblo has a variety of buildings just like you would see in Chicago and I think would amaze people who actually looked at them.

I really want to get people to think that just because a city is smaller it can have a lot to offer in terms of architecture that large cities like Chicago do not own that.
So you're saying Pueblo is on par architecturally with Chicago? Again, I disagree.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:07 PM

Quote:
So you're saying Pueblo is on par architecturally with Chicago? Again, I disagree.
That is ok. I don't expect the majority of people to agree with me but I think most people tend to ignore cities the size of Pueblo as most think they have nothing to offer when I honestly believe that is not true. Sure its on a smaller scale but it does not take away the variety this city has and that is all I am trying to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City