Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city skyline do you find the most impressive:
Pueblo 110 40.89%
Chicago 159 59.11%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 01:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is a good point.

Pueblo is a lot smaller then Chicago and the large cities talked about on here but it is arguably the second most important city in Colorado and given how important Colorado is to the United States politically and economically that makes Pueblo one of the important cities to the United States. For example last election then Senator Obama campaigned in Pueblo twice and Senator McCaine once. Thee are many cities a lot bigger that could not say that.

My point is population is not the only factor if a city is important or a fun place to live in and sometimes not even the most important factor.
Does Pueblo even have an airport with commercial airline service??? Plus I always thought of Colorado Springs was the second most important city in Colorado after Denver. Most people have never heard of Pueblo. According to this article, Pueblo has only the seventh largest GDP in the state after Grand Junction so I don't see how it is very important economically either. It is great to love where you live and it would make sense to state the quality of life is good in Pueblo, but to argue its importance on a national scale seems sort of silly. Is it important, YES. Is it in the same league as major cities, NO.
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_7008990

Old 03-14-2009, 01:28 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
That is a good point.

Pueblo is a lot smaller then Chicago and the large cities talked about on here but it is arguably the second most important city in Colorado and given how important Colorado is to the United States politically and economically that makes Pueblo one of the important cities to the United States. For example last election then Senator Obama campaigned in Pueblo twice and Senator McCaine once. Thee are many cities a lot bigger that could not say that.

My point is population is not the only factor if a city is important or a fun place to live in and sometimes not even the most important factor.
I'm ready to puke! I mean that too! ANYONE who has been to Pueblo, would want to do the same. My man, you are VERY VERY off base with ALL your comparisions, to the point, it's not even funny.

Like I said, I've BEEN to Pueblo, I know EXACTLY what that little dirty town is about. Christ, one of the Motel 6's there didn't even have wireless high speed internet. They still used 'dial up'. Pueblo is beyond beat!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Does Pueblo even have an airport with commercial airline service??? Plus I always thought of Colorado Springs was the second most important city in Colorado after Denver. Most people have never heard of Pueblo.
Pueblo does have an airport with service to Denver, in fact the first level air force pilot school is located at our airport. As we grow I am sure more flights will come.

The problem with Colorado Springs is location and that is Pueblo's benefit. If you look at a map of Colorado I-25 goes though Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Then I-70 goes through Denver, but the only true trans continental highway is highway 50 and it goes though Pueblo. Thus that makes Pueblo the economic and shopping hub for southern Colorado, not because they like Pueblo more but because it is easier to get to. That is why you see state and federal agencies here and why we are going to get the next federal court and not Colorado Springs. Why I say size is not the most important issue on determining if a city is important or not for a region. I am sure Pueblo is not the only city like this in the country, just the one I happen to be familiar with.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Pueblo does have an airport with service to Denver, in fact the first level air force pilot school is located at our airport. As we grow I am sure more flights will come.

The problem with Colorado Springs is location and that is Pueblo's benefit. If you look at a map of Colorado I-25 goes though Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo. Then I-70 goes through Denver, but the only true trans continental highway is highway 50 and it goes though Pueblo. Thus that makes Pueblo the economic and shopping hub for southern Colorado, not because they like Pueblo more but because it is easier to get to. That is why you see state and federal agencies here and why we are going to get the next federal court and not Colorado Springs. Why I say size is not the most important issue on determining if a city is important or not for a region. I am sure Pueblo is not the only city like this in the country, just the one I happen to be familiar with.
I suggest you hop in your car and drive around the country and get yourself "familiar" then. That way, you won't come on here and post these ridiculious comments and threads that you do!

Old 03-14-2009, 01:39 PM

That was before major developments planned for Pueblo in the alternative energy sector they include:

1. The nations largest solar plant at a cost of 1 billion dollars.

2. The proposed Colorado energy park that will be 21,000 acers and the largest in the country.

BOISE, ID--(Marketwire - September 15, 2008) - Alternate Energy Holdings, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: AEHI) signed an agreement with a representative of the proposed Colorado Energy Park (CEP) southeast of Pueblo, CO to negotiate contracts on land and water rights for multiple large advanced nuclear reactors. The current CEP site is over 21,000 acres and is valued at $83 million, including substantial water use rights. CEP can host a mixed portfolio of renewable energy including solar PV and CSP, wind, biomass, small-hydro and nuclear. AEHI will seek a complement of multiple clean energy providers to fully utilize the large site and share the nuclear plant's transmission, water, road and rail infrastructure. When fully developed, CEP will help meet the state's and region's growing demand for electricity. At CEP, AEHI will help the US achieve energy independence, and meet the goal of increasing sources of green energy to reduce CO2 and toxic emissions from the global environment. The CEP as a merchant site should be able to wield power east of the Rockies as needed to meet demand.

3 A new heavy industrial park south of town that even Colorado Springs cant match and we have companies like Vestas building the worlds largest wind turbine plant and possibly a foundry.

Colorado Springs economic development officials have listed alternative energy as a target industry for creating local jobs. Friday's announcement is not a loss for Colorado Springs, said David White, executive vice president of the Colorado Springs Economic Development Corp.

"Even though it would have been nice to attract this company into our region, the reality is we just don't have any rail sites. We don't have the kind of heavy industrial capabilities the city of Pueblo has," White said. "It's really a win for southern Colorado. Not everyone who works at this plant will live in Pueblo."

4. Large scale developments like Pueblo Springs Ranch that will have the states largest tech park.

oPueblo County - Historically, Pueblo County has experienced moderate population growth. This trend will change when the Pueblo Springs Ranch is complete. The 23,000-acre subdivision in northeast Pueblo County is expected to have about 75,000 households, or 200,000 people when completed. The Historic Arkansas Riverwalk Project has begun to pay the economic dividends its creators intended. In August 2007, the new 44,000-square-foot headquarters of the Professional Bull Riders Association was dedicated, and new restaurants and other establishments have opened near the new building.

Why Pueblo? Due to our location and infrastructure. Denver and Pueblo are the only cities in the state to have all of the best infrastructure and look what happened to Denver last century now its our turn to grow.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-14-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 01:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,501,315 times
That's really nice for Pueblo but.... Chicago just has so much more going on. Who knows. Maybe Pueblo will reach Chicago's level of importance in about 2 millenniums.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Pueblo gets my vote.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
That's really nice for Pueblo but.... Chicago just has so much more going on. Who knows. Maybe Pueblo will reach Chicago's level of importance in about 2 millenniums.
I think that's even a generous assumption!....

Old 03-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Chicago is America's second city, my point was not to say we will over take Chicago but that smaller cities play a important role in American society, much more then people in large cities acknowledge.

Down the road there is a good chance that people in some of the nation largest cities will be getting their energy produced here in Pueblo at the Colorado Energy Park! Then what will you all say about Pueblo? All we would have to do is shut off our power generators and your companies would be in the dark!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Chicago is America's second city, my point was not to say we will over take Chicago but that smaller cities play a important role in American society, much more then people in large cities acknowledge.

Down the road there is a good chance that people in some of the nation largest cities will be getting their energy produced here in Pueblo at the Colorado Energy Park! Then what will you all say about Pueblo? All we would have to do is shut off our power generators and your companies would be in the dark!
you really don't have a CLUE about how energy works do you? There are power plants ALL across America! Now you think that America, is somehow going to NEED to depend on Pueblo for it's "energy"?.......lol lol lol .....

Your posts are starting to make me think your a teenager.

P.S. For the most part, 'power plants' are located in rural areas away from cities. Chicago and NYC does have some small units located within their city limits, but for the most part, there out in 'no man's land'. This just shows what Pueblo really is, a 'town' that won't have the problem of NIMBY (cause nobody cares).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City