Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city skyline is most impressive:
Los Angeles 248 48.82%
Atlanta 260 51.18%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times

Advertisements

I've been to Atlanta and lived in Chino (ventured to DTLA many times). It just doesn't seem possible (imo) that Atlantas Skyline is larger at all. The buildings are more impressive, but the skyline only seems large because of how spread out the buildings are. Downtown Los Angeles Seems larger to me though.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:40 PM

322 posts, read 614,757 times
LA has a strong core but there is really only one building that makes it stand out. Without it it would be unrecognizable. LA has one of the most recognizable skylines because of its Hollywood exposure...ATL has a linear skyline which isn't quite as impressive as one with a central core. ATL's skyline is also much less recognizable but it has when you think of ATL's skyline you think of several different buildings that make it VS the one LA has. They are both a nice contrast to each other in my opinion so it's very hard to choose. But LA has mountains to add to it's skyline...tough call.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
LA blows away ATL here.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:37 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,217,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I like Atlanta skyline (CBD) at this moment the best because LA haven't cleaned up it's air pollution as of yet , but when they do that 10,000 foot Mountain in the background is going to blow away everybody skyline even NYC.....I like Los Angeles Metro Skyline much more than Atlanta...
That "mountain backdrop" that "blow away everybody" is the result of a telescopic lens. When you're near downtown L.A., you only see the edge of the San Gabriel Mountains, and that's on a clear/non-smoggy day. You don't see the highest elevations from the ground. Photos like that are taken from a plane or helicopter on a clear day with a telescopic lens.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
LA has a strong core but there is really only one building that makes it stand out. Without it it would be unrecognizable. LA has one of the most recognizable skylines because of its Hollywood exposure...ATL has a linear skyline which isn't quite as impressive as one with a central core. ATL's skyline is also much less recognizable but it has when you think of ATL's skyline you think of several different buildings that make it VS the one LA has. They are both a nice contrast to each other in my opinion so it's very hard to choose. But LA has mountains to add to it's skyline...tough call.
Atlanta isn't linear. Downtown is clearly not linear. With midtown, it's actually five or so north-south streets that the buildings are straddled along.

L.A.'s mountains are usually not recognizable in the way as seen by a telescopic lens.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I've been to Atlanta and lived in Chino (ventured to DTLA many times). It just doesn't seem possible (imo) that Atlantas Skyline is larger at all. The buildings are more impressive, but the skyline only seems large because of how spread out the buildings are. Downtown Los Angeles Seems larger to me though.
Why does it not seem possible? To me, the LA skyline is clearly smaller than the downtown/midtown skyline of Atlanta.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
LA blows away ATL here.
And what makes you think that?

I clearly posted photos showing Atlanta's skyline covers over double the span of L.A.s

Old 09-26-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Which L.A. suburb looks like this? Irvine?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10054722@N07/3271322412/sizes/o/

Glendale? I think not.

Flickr Photo Download: Atlanta_Skyline_from_Buckhead (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cokak/355135172/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Anaheim? Not even a little bit.

Atlanta Skyline from Renaissance Hotel on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/3148961778/ - broken link)
Great photos of Atlanta.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,702,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
And what makes you think that?

I clearly posted photos showing Atlanta's skyline covers over double the span of L.A.s
That photo doesnt look accurate to me. Just wondering..but have you actually seen downtown la in person? Pictures are alot different than the real thing you know.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:23 PM
vop

62 posts, read 104,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
That "mountain backdrop" that "blow away everybody" is the result of a telescopic lens. When you're near downtown L.A., you only see the edge of the San Gabriel Mountains, and that's on a clear/non-smoggy day. You don't see the highest elevations from the ground. Photos like that are taken from a plane or helicopter on a clear day with a telescopic lens.
Comments like theselet's me know that you have definitely never been here, its actually more rare now to not being able to see the mountains. You don't know what your talking about, besides we don't need no mountains beat y'all anyways, you guys got skyscrapers but no infill, that ain't no real downtown, that's why a lot of the south downtowns are a joke cus y'all be showing these far away photos of yalls scrapers but show some aerials of your downtown from the top so people can see all of the parking lots, and few mid rises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City