Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 AM

437 posts, read 547,958 times

Advertisements

probably somewhere in texas (seriously)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 07:01 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
I've been stuck with so many degenerate whites and blacks on the East Coast for so long, I forgot what a GENUINELY integrated city looks like.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
NYC is way more integrated than people give it credit for

Old 06-14-2016, 11:53 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
NYC is way more integrated than people give it credit for
As evidenced by Mayor de Blasio, the first major politician in U.S. history with a black wife.

White mayor, black wife: NYC shatters an image

Seriously, NYC runs away with this by default. Numerically speaking, you will find every combination of couple possible, and will see minorities from the globe in positions not normally 'reserved' for them. The U.S. still sucks when it comes to race and racial integration, but NYC is clearly the best of the bunch.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:05 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
As evidenced by Mayor de Blasio, the first major politician in U.S. history with a black wife.

Seriously, NYC runs away with this by default. Numerically speaking, you will find every combination of couple possible, and will see minorities from the globe in positions not normally 'reserved' for them. The U.S. still sucks when it comes to race and racial integration, but NYC is clearly the best of the bunch.
I think Obama beat him on that front.

All jokes aside, it's hard to measure integration, because there is residential integration and social integration. New York is highly residentially segregated, but you will find that in any city with traditional ethnic enclaves. There are southern cities with high levels of residential integration, where no one socializes with anyone outside of the race. New York is more highly socially integrated that most of cities.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
NYC is definitely not the most integrated city in the US. People still live in their own neighborhoods for the most part. It's not as segregated as Chicago or Detroit but it's not as integrated as Houston or the I.E.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:47 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think Obama beat him on that front.

All jokes aside, it's hard to measure integration, because there is residential integration and social integration. New York is highly residentially segregated, but you will find that in any city with traditional ethnic enclaves. There are southern cities with high levels of residential integration, where no one socializes with anyone outside of the race. New York is more highly socially integrated that most of cities.
Haha, well I meant first major white politician with a black wife. But you're spot on about the differences between residential integration and social integration, and imo, social integration is far more important than residential integration. Socialization breaks down barriers, not just proximity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
NYC is definitely not the most integrated city in the US. People still live in their own neighborhoods for the most part. It's not as segregated as Chicago or Detroit but it's not as integrated as Houston or the I.E.
But that's residential integration, not social integration. Social integration is way more important, particularly when it comes to the workplace, equal rights, and equal treatment by the law. While NYC is no utopia and still is a laggard in all of these metrics, I can't think of a U.S. city that does better than it, in terms of all races, ethnicities and social classes interacting with each other regularly, both good and bad. Call it a crutch, but high population density has its benefits.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:

I think a lot of people claim that NYC is "most segregated" because of a New York Times article they read, yet recently NYT contradicted that claim with an article claiming Chicago as being way more segregated! I think that in the former, they didn't take certain things into account which led to an inaccurate claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
It's probably not the most integrated but I disagree with the bolded. Aside from swaths of Southeast Queens and Eastern Brooklyn that are largely black, and swaths of South Shore Staten Island that are largely white, most neighborhoods are integrated to some degree, with many neighborhoods being very diverse.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Haha, well I meant first major white politician with a black wife. But you're spot on about the differences between residential integration and social integration, and imo, social integration is far more important than residential integration. Socialization breaks down barriers, not just proximity.

But that's residential integration, not social integration. Social integration is way more important, particularly when it comes to the workplace, equal rights, and equal treatment by the law. While NYC is no utopia and still is a laggard in all of these metrics, I can't think of a U.S. city that does better than it, in terms of all races, ethnicities and social classes interacting with each other regularly, both good and bad. Call it a crutch, but high population density has its benefits.
NYC isn't even residentially segregated for the most part, you should see the neighborhoods in Brooklyn that I frequent. My grandmother's neighborhood of Kensington is extremely diverse.

Old 06-14-2016, 12:57 PM

135 posts, read 144,960 times
[quote=Cart24;8704124]This is incorrect, while Toronto is a very good example of multiculturalism, it is actually one of the most segregated cities in Canada. Since Canada does not have the wealth of information on Housing Patterns and segregation that the US does, it is a little harder to find information on racial segregation, but read the studies conducted by Allan Walks and Larry Bourne.

Sacramento is a good example but if you read the Housing Pattern studies that have been posted Houston is a very segregated city, especially for Hispanics.

Agreed

I would remove DC and Boston from that list

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this. Anybody that has lived in DC for any amount of time knows there is nothing integrated about it. I think somebody has already said it. But diversity doesn't necessarily equal integration. DC is easily one of the most segregated cities in the US and the statistics reflect that. In fact the entire DC region is segregated when you carefully look at it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-d-c-in-1-map/

D.C. Is One of the Most Segregated Cities in America | Washington City Paper

http://www.bustle.com/articles/10383...in-the-problem

A city can be diverse but its neighborhoods may still not be. (And DC scores poorly on both measures.) - Greater Greater Washington

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1TM_story.html

(Especially Boston when factoring in the diverse student population that lives basically anywhere cheap), they are both far from being the most segregated in the country, they are not even in the top 10 based on the US Census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City