Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Cold depressing Scotland winter, possible relocation to Camarillo, California or Florida, open to other state options, area with good general aviation scene, nearby boating, good schools, mild winters, dislike liberals Ventura or Orange County only in CA

Old 03-14-2009, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times

Advertisements

My first post on the forums here. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and this long, drawn out winter, in cold miserable Scotland has made me have a little re-think. A lot of information will be included here, in order for you to help best (if you can). The winter depresses me, I truly hate freezing, dull weather. Having been on vacation to Miami, NYC, Washington D.C and Las Vegas, I can really see myself settling down somewhere in the USA.

Although the places I'm about to discuss aren't technically cities, I can't see where else this can go on the forums. Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

First, a little information about myself and my wife. I'm a 27 year old male, from central Scotland. I'm a pilot for a European airline, and have been for the past 3 years. I have a wife, (26). Our combined income is about 75K GBP (105k USD). We have no children yet, although when we (hopefully) settle down in the US, we would like to start a family. An area with good schools is essential.

Some more demanding requirements:

Area with a good General Aviation scene, whilst being close to an international airport (for work). I would be willing to commute about 50 miles each way.

Boating nearby (either ocean or lake), maximum 80 miles away.

I wouldn't like a liberal area much.

A state without harsh winters.

Housing:

Using the 3 x rule, we would be looking to spend about 350-400k on a house initially, perhaps as seniority and salary increase, moving to 6-700k.

Through my own research, I have picked a nice bedroom community in Ventura County, SoCal. Camarillo. The write-up here: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL0610046.html looks pretty good.

That to me is ideal. LAX for shopping & work. Tahoe for boating. Ocean for boating. Channel Islands for boating. Camarillo also has its own GA airport, for flying for fun. There is an abundance of schools, and the climate is great.

Alternatively, rather than jumping straight in at a 350k house, I could rent for a few years until our combined income goes up in order to make the 600K average.

I am positively ruling out cities that are not in Ventura or Orange County CA, as I cannot stand liberals
__________________________________________________ _____________

I need some serious help with FL though. I'm not sure if I could survive the intense humidity for long periods of time. I went to Miami only for 3 days ( we were getting a cruise from the port), and I don't think that gave me a good enough long term indicator. North/Central FL would appeal to me more (closer to other states, perhaps cooler (?)) than South FL. A good bedroom community similar to Camarillo in FL would be great, if anyone knows any.

Help is MUCH appreciated regarding the above, and, as in the title, if anyone can recommend a state which meets my rather stringent requirements, please do share

Craig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 04:08 AM

2 posts, read 3,923 times
Anyone?

Old 03-21-2009, 04:36 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig007 View Post
My first post on the forums here. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and this long, drawn out winter, in cold miserable Scotland has made me have a little re-think. A lot of information will be included here, in order for you to help best (if you can). The winter depresses me, I truly hate freezing, dull weather. Having been on vacation to Miami, NYC, Washington D.C and Las Vegas, I can really see myself settling down somewhere in the USA.

Although the places I'm about to discuss aren't technically cities, I can't see where else this can go on the forums. Apologies if this is in the wrong place!

First, a little information about myself and my wife. I'm a 27 year old male, from central Scotland. I'm a pilot for a European airline, and have been for the past 3 years. I have a wife, (26). Our combined income is about 75K GBP (105k USD). We have no children yet, although when we (hopefully) settle down in the US, we would like to start a family. An area with good schools is essential.

Some more demanding requirements:

Area with a good General Aviation scene, whilst being close to an international airport (for work). I would be willing to commute about 50 miles each way.

Boating nearby (either ocean or lake), maximum 80 miles away.

I wouldn't like a liberal area much.

A state without harsh winters.

Housing:

Using the 3 x rule, we would be looking to spend about 350-400k on a house initially, perhaps as seniority and salary increase, moving to 6-700k.

Through my own research, I have picked a nice bedroom community in Ventura County, SoCal. Camarillo. The write-up here: Best places to live 2008 - City details: Camarillo, CA - from MONEY Magazine looks pretty good.

That to me is ideal. LAX for shopping & work. Tahoe for boating. Ocean for boating. Channel Islands for boating. Camarillo also has its own GA airport, for flying for fun. There is an abundance of schools, and the climate is great.

Alternatively, rather than jumping straight in at a 350k house, I could rent for a few years until our combined income goes up in order to make the 600K average.

I am positively ruling out cities that are not in Ventura or Orange County CA, as I cannot stand liberals

I need some serious help with FL though. I'm not sure if I could survive the intense humidity for long periods of time. I went to Miami only for 3 days ( we were getting a cruise from the port), and I don't think that gave me a good enough long term indicator. North/Central FL would appeal to me more (closer to other states, perhaps cooler (?)) than South FL. A good bedroom community similar to Camarillo in FL would be great, if anyone knows any.

Help is MUCH appreciated regarding the above, and, as in the title, if anyone can recommend a state which meets my rather stringent requirements, please do share

Craig
The main thing that I get from your post is that you hate really cold weather, hate really hot weather and hate liberals.

If you dont like liberals then that knocks California out.

If you dont like cold weather then it knocks Chicago and Boston out. You answered your own question with Miami..... its extremly hot

I would suggest : NYC, Dallas, Philadelphia, Houston and Atlanta.

Yes NYC and Philly are cold, but I doubt its as cold as Scotland

Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Depending on where he lives in Scotland, it might be warmer than you would expect because of the Gulf Stream.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,491,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Depending on where he lives in Scotland, it might be warmer than you would expect because of the Gulf Stream.
his post says HARSH winters

Old 03-28-2009, 01:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,916,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
his post says HARSH winters
yes, they might be harsh for him but Scotlands winters are still quite a bit warmer than NYC or Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City