Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM

567 posts, read 1,446,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Corner of the steet on route 1, Jersey...a Walgreens, a bank, some condoes, a mini-mart, a closed business...corner of any block in NYC...a Walgreens, a bank, some condoes, a mini-mart, a closed business.

Any Questions?
lol. thats why i moved from ny.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:26 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Corner of the steet on route 1, Jersey...a Walgreens, a bank, some condoes, a mini-mart, a closed business...corner of any block in NYC...a Walgreens, a bank, some condoes, a mini-mart, a closed business.

Any Questions?
Well,yes.
I live in NYC and I don't have any condos,a Walgreens, a mini mart or any closed businesses.
What I do have on my corner is a subway stop,a really good C-Town,a hardware store,a barber shop, a chinese restaurant,a mexican restaurant,a liquor store,a chinese laundry/tailor,a 99 cent store, a flower shop,a pizza shop,a locksmith,a shoe repair place,a kosher butcher and an italian bakery.

Oh... and I forgot the 24 hr Korean vegetable store and the great 24 hr bodega with Hagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's .

Old 03-16-2009, 05:35 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:

And what does having an educated populace have to do with being cheap? You say they read allot of books as if it's a bad thing...and Seattle is about as expensive as Jersey (which is ubsurdly over priced) Not to mention that in Portland, Seattle, Austin, SLC, Boise etc there are always low-rent areas that an artist can set-up shop in, while in NYC, even in places like Harlem, Brooklyn and Long Island City, musicians an artists are muscled out. You can sell drugs in a ghetto in NYC, but you can't sell a live show without the police bothering you.

You have no idea what I have been saying. Seattle, Portland, Austin, these places all have great local scenes...NYC? None to speak of in any genre. "cool" is a relative term, but "fun" for me (hence the title of this thread) means having some kind of local scene and local culture, not strip-mall types shops and "it" bars filled with fashion victims.

I was in Austin two years ago and saw more live music venues there and met more cool people there in two weeks than I have in the last decade in NYC.

I hate Nirvana...but Abney Park is going on right now, and guess what city they're from? SEATTLE.
YouTube - Abney Park - Airship Pirate - Steampunk Music

And so are a hundred thousand other bands. Seriously, in Seattle, if you're in a band, you can find either a venue or a basement or somewhere to play for people who are into music...for NYC, if it isn't Britney at the Garden, no one wants to hear it and there is no place for it.

Me pointing out that Seattle's 'city' residents are the most educated, had nothing to do with Seattle being expensive (which it certainly is). I was saying that, cause a person who's educated and has a career, is more worried about 'that', than how many local live music venues there are. And 'educated' types, almost always are alot more reserved when they are out in public. And I doubt that they are flocking to this hard-core live music scene that you're tring to describe.

But, since you want a comparision between education and cost of living, I'll give you it.

You think with such a high educated work force, in a city that has a desirable downtown and surrounding nabes, that won't drive the cost of living up? Statistically, a college grad will always make more money. People making good money, living in a 'city', therefore 'drives' the cost of living UP! How's Mannhattan ANY different? If the people in Mannhattan were only making what people are making in Buffalo, do you think the rents would be as high?

Boise? lol lol lol You should start naming places I've NEVER been to! Boise, Idaho?.... lol lol lol........

Listen, MOST American's (even foriegner's), would have WAY more "fun" in the NYC bar scene compared to the places you've listed. What did you do, look up this info on the computer?.... I still can't BELIEVE you listed Boise! I'm still blushing from that........

So what, Austin has more live music venues than NYC, if that's your bag, move there. NYC has a list of "more" things that Austin doesn't have, or has 'less' of. NEWS FLASH: Miami has "more" warmer days than NYC does!...

You can say this kinda stuff about ANY city! Texas has "more" rodeos than NY does, etc etc etc...........

Listening to music in "someone's basement"?........... I guess the band 'leaders' mom, makes punch for all the guest too..........

P.S. Are all those people in Seattle "reading books" at live music venues? Probably doing so at home I'd say? Hence, there's MORE 'home-bodies' in Seattle, than probably anywhere else!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:37 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Any Questions?
Sure -- what's the point of this thread?

If you'd like to continue debating the merits (or perceived lack thereof) of New York City vs. those of other cities, then this thread more appropriately belongs in the City vs. City forum.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Oh, I also forgot the 24 hr diner/ coffee shop,the natural food store,the pet shop and the Albanian coffee shop.
And I have to admit ,there are a couple of banks.

Old 03-16-2009, 05:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Oh, I also forgot the 24 hr diner/ coffee shop,the natural food store,the pet shop and the Albanian coffee shop.
And I have to admit ,there are a couple of banks.
Ya, I ALWAYS hated when banks were too close. I'd rather take a subway or drive to one!..... Victorian post are crazy to say the least.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:26 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Me pointing out that Seattle's 'city' residents are the most educated, had nothing to do with Seattle being expensive (which it certainly is). I was saying that, cause a person who's educated and has a career, is more worried about 'that', than how many local live music venues there are. And 'educated' types, almost always are alot more reserved when they are out in public. And I doubt that they are flocking to this hard-core live music scene that you're tring to describe.
You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. People who like hardcore or any other form of alternative music tend to be more educated. Having a education and a career does not make you not like music. Ever wonder why alternative music is often called "college rock"? Maybe because the people who are into it are in college, as in educated?

Also, 99% of the goths I have met are extremely well read and educated, same with punks and power metal fans (death metal, not so much...)

But, since you want a comparision between education and cost of living, I'll give you it.
Quote:
You think with such a high educated work force, in a city that has a desirable downtown and surrounding nabes, that won't drive the cost of living up? Statistically, a college grad will always make more money. People making good money, living in a 'city', therefore 'drives' the cost of living UP! How's Mannhattan ANY different? If the people in Mannhattan were only making what people are making in Buffalo, do you think the rents would be as high?
As I said, ever city has a high-rent area and a low rent area (hence, Bohemian ghettoes) why is it that there is not a single solitary low-rent ghetto in NYC with a vibrant art scene, while other, much smaller cities have such a part of town?
Quote:
Boise? lol lol lol You should start naming places I've NEVER been to! Boise, Idaho?.... lol lol lol........
Yes, everyone I ever known who is from Boise or has stayed there for an extended period of time says that it is actually more fun than NYC.

Quote:
Listen, MOST American's (even foriegner's), would have WAY more "fun" in the NYC bar scene compared to the places you've listed.
Depending on what they're into. If they're fans of "Sex and the City" and "Project Runway", maybe. If they're fans of cool people, local artists, music, poetry, alternative spirituality, alternative sports, or alternative anything, they will find NYC to be only slightly more fun than Iowa.

Quote:
What did you do, look up this info on the computer?.... I still can't BELIEVE you listed Boise! I'm still blushing from that........
No, I am going by what I have heard from people who never met eachother and have all said the same thing to me.
Quote:
So what, Austin has more live music venues than NYC, if that's your bag, move there. NYC has a list of "more" things that Austin doesn't have, or has 'less' of.
Like fashion victims, wannabee movie stars, a ton of people who look down on you if you don't make 100,000 or more a year, yuppies everywhere you look, etc etc etc
Quote:
NEWS FLASH: Miami has "more" warmer days than NYC does!...
I am talking about over-all alternative local "fun factor", which NYC no longer has.

Quote:
Listening to music in "someone's basement"?........... I guess the band 'leaders' mom, makes punch for all the guest too..........
No, as in people with a big converted house that was once a warehouse has a huge basement (still residential in cities that are not as uptight as NYC) and are socialites, as in people "in the scene", as in that old punk pr goth fellow who has always been around and everybody knows, gets together with local bands have a massive house party...how many house parties are actually allowed to happen in NYC?

Quote:
P.S. Are all those people in Seattle "reading books" at live music venues? Probably doing so at home I'd say? Hence, there's MORE 'home-bodies' in Seattle, than probably anywhere else!
So reading makes you a "home body"? Take Blind Guardian and Battlelore, two bands who's music is based on the Lord of the Rings (before the movie came out) no, they never preformed anywhere or went out, just stayed indoors reading

Like I said, goths and punks tend to be more well read than your average NYC fashion-victim, who couldn't read her way out of a book of matches. Goths tend to like HP Lovecraft and punks tend to like Willian S Burroughs.

If you ever met people like that, you would understand, but I suppose in NYC they are not many of them around...

Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM

What does any of this ^^^^^^ have to do with day to day life in NY ???
Can't we just assume that those that that find this lacking in NY will go elsewhere ? To Boise,maybe ? Or Salt Lake city ?
Why are you here ?
And why are you so angry ?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
I thought that there would always be some kind of vibrant music and counter culture scene in NYC of some form or another, but all that has change. Now it's a graveyard for culture and a all around boring city.
The problem is that the counter culture became the culture so now the young kids wearing designer clothes are in fact the new counter culture...

Seriously, when counter culture becomes fashionable it dies. Hipsters, beatnicks, goths those are all fashion statements more than anything else. Also, you want counter culture in areas where average rent is over $3K? Give me a break, you want counter culture you have to go to the outer boros. And by the way: punk is dead. Get over it.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
OP- You just got older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City