Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Portland, OR 35 61.40%
Portland, ME 22 38.60%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times

Advertisements

Which is better? I've not been to either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 07:34 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
I prefer Portland, Oregon. I've been to Oregon once and I've been to Maine numerous times. I can safely say Oregon is better.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:11 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
This is like comparing NYC to Syracuse, two different class of cities altogether. Portland Or is larger and much more diverse. Portland ME is small with a very touristy cobblestone waterfront with coffee shops, restaurants and souvenir shops. I woudn't really put one against the other, they are both very nice cities in their own respect.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
This is like comparing NYC to Syracuse, two different class of cities altogether. Portland Or is larger and much more diverse. Portland ME is small with a very touristy cobblestone waterfront with coffee shops, restaurants and souvenir shops. I woudn't really put one against the other, they are both very nice cities in their own respect.
I have to agree. Portland, Maine is kinda sophisticated for being such a small town. Normally 'towns' with those types of populations, are kinda of depressing (Portland, Maine pop is around 60,000 I believe). But I didn't get that feeling in Portland Maine to my surprise. It's a pretty neat town if you ask me!...

Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I went to college in Portland, ME and last year I visited the other Portland for about a week. Big differences between the 2. Oregon has milder temps than Maine and obviously less brutal winters. Portland, ME is a really nice city to visit, but I could never live there. That's why i transferred. I could probably live in Portland, OR easier.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,681,824 times
I like em both too much to vote

Old 03-15-2009, 07:26 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I went to college in Portland, ME and last year I visited the other Portland for about a week. Big differences between the 2. Oregon has milder temps than Maine and obviously less brutal winters. Portland, ME is a really nice city to visit, but I could never live there. That's why i transferred. I could probably live in Portland, OR easier.
I agree. For one thing, Portland, Me. is just too small for me personally to ever want to live there. But, the New England states are very unique in the sense of their look and feel. And are probably the ONLY states that have small towns that I don't think are depressing looking, or give off that "depressed vibe". When I think of a 'bed and breakfast', I think of New England.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:58 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

Portland, OR is more diverse, alright. There are white people, and white people with dreads.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Your comparing a city to a town. Portland Maine has 60,000 people while Portland OR has nearly 600,000. Portland Maine is just far too tiny to be in the same discussion as Portland Oregon.

That being said, I voted Portland OR. I love the PAC Northwest and I love Portland OR. I like city living and it's non-existant in Portland ME (I currently live 3 blocks from downtown) .Don't get me wrong, Portland ME is a nice little town but it's not even in the same ballpark as Portland OR in just about any category. The only place where I'd say they are close is natural beauty and proximity to outdoor activities. Other than that, no comparison in my book (and Portland ME isn't a bad town).

In the end Portland ME is a nice quaint little town to visit for a weekend (certainly not "depressing") but I'd take Portland OR in a second given the chance. Everyone is different. If you're a small town person you would likely prefer Portland Maine as it is and feels like a small town. It seems everyone here knows each other and it has the laid back small town culture. That's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by lrfox; 03-15-2009 at 09:19 PM..

Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Portland, OR is more diverse, alright. There are white people, and white people with dreads.
Trust me, I live here, Portland Maine is a lot of things, but diverse isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City