Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 04:23 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree. That's what I meant. I agree that Massachusetts is right behind California in bio-tech, or it might be the other way around with Mass ahead and Cali second. But then you gotta add the Seatle area also. Even if you we're to divide Caliornia in to 6 states I still think the westcoast would compare favoribly head to head. But when you add all the east coast states in the Bos-Wash corridor, then the eastcoast seems pretty powerful, not becasue of NY like most people would probably think, but because of all the high-tech companies in the Washington-Baltimore area that have been attracted there because of the US governtment, and because of the Bio-tech in Mass. And alot of people are forgetting about Texas, Texas is definately coming up in the Technology sector, so I guess the central US region with Texas all the way up to Chicago, can compete with the rest of the US.

If that was the case, my dad would have gotten am IT job offer in Massachusetts. Never did his entire career.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:40 PM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Most Backwards: Mississippi
Progressive: California and maybe Washington
Ya I agree.

Most progressive for sure the west coast. I'd say the upper midwest is fairly progressive as well, particularly Minnesota and Iowa.

Least progressive are states in the south east, primairly Mississippi and Alabama and a few places in Applachia. I would contend that states on the eastern seaboard are alot less progressive then they would like to believe.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
Ya I agree.

Most progressive for sure the west coast. I'd say the upper midwest is fairly progressive as well, particularly Minnesota and Iowa.

Least progressive are states in the south east, primairly Mississippi and Alabama and a few places in Applachia. I would contend that states on the eastern seaboard are alot less progressive then they would like to believe.
Why are the Western states more "progressive" than the Eastern ones? (I'm not arguing they are or not--I'm merely interested in why.)

Old 04-01-2009, 11:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Ya I agree.

I agree. It always seems like the westcoast is always MORE progressive then the east. The eastcoast has alot big progressive cities, but it always seems like outside of those cities it gets backwards.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If that was the case, my dad would have gotten am IT job offer in Massachusetts. Never did his entire career.
Maybe I was wrong. But I'd still put Cali over NY though.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM

343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I agree. It always seems like the westcoast is always MORE progressive then the east. The eastcoast has alot big progressive cities, but it always seems like outside of those cities it gets backwards.
One of the reasons I say the western states are more progressive (even the conservative ones) is that the roots of elitistism + ignorance back east goes deep.

Generally speaking you can go to a small town in Montana or Colorado and the people there will be generaly open minided, in fact suprisngly liberal and independent. Whereas I can't say the same for small places in the eastern 1/3 of the United States.

I think people in the western states tend to be more open minded, even the republicans who lives in places like Montana and Wyoming seem to be more liberterian.

Once you leave the big western cities you don't run into the same backwardsness that you see in places like Appalachia (I.E. West Virgina, Tennesse, western pennsylvania). Including places like Indiana and Ohio. You can pretty much walk the pacific crest trail and not run into any crazy nut cases. Whereas the Appalachian trail is alot different. You run into real crazy cases and inbred backwards people.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Once you leave the big western cities you don't run into the same backwardsness that you see in places like Appalachia (I.E. West Virgina, Tennesse, western pennsylvania). Including places like Indiana and Ohio. You can pretty much walk the pacific crest trail and not run into any crazy nut cases. Whereas the Appalachian trail is alot different. You run into real crazy cases and inbred backwards people.
Are you familiar with the Matthew Shepard stroy?

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-02-2009 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-02-2009, 10:51 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,590 times
Quote:
One of the reasons I say the western states are more progressive (even the conservative ones) is that the roots of elitistism + ignorance back east goes deep.

Generally speaking you can go to a small town in Montana or Colorado and the people there will be generaly open minided, in fact suprisngly liberal and independent. Whereas I can't say the same for small places in the eastern 1/3 of the United States.

I think people in the western states tend to be more open minded, even the republicans who lives in places like Montana and Wyoming seem to be more liberterian.

So, maybe it has to do with the mind-sets, or social norms of the original settlers?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

I agree. One thing in the east, alot of the liberals you encounter are close-minded and elitist themselves, and tend to be discriminitive to those that may be a little conservative. Whereas out west the open-minded ones are open0minded to EVERYBODY. Im not conservative, nor am I liberal, but I tend to lean more towards liberal.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxndean View Post
What states do you consider to be the most backwards? Backwards as in behind the times, shut off from the rest of the world, and stepped in tradition...What states do you consider the most progressive? Progressive as in ahead of our time, new technology, retail, reasturants, etc. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Well, to use you're premise Alabama, would be considered behind the times and that is why I love it so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.