Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you prefer to live?
Kansas 9 33.33%
Nebraska 9 33.33%
South Dakota 4 14.81%
North Dakota 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 03:38 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,643 times

Advertisements

I chose these states because they are somehow similar to each other (mostly rural, tornado states, similar shapes)
Obviously the climate is different in each state, with Kansas being the warmest one. None of these states have super large metro areas, however Kansas has Kansas City and Nebraska has Omaha.
The question is, where would you prefer to live? (consider: quality and cost of living, climate, economy, opportunities for business)

Out of these 4 states i think i like Kansas best because the climate is warmer and it has some great towns such as Olathe.
But it was very hard for me to decide because i also like Fargo, nd and Sioux falls, sd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 04:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,988 times
lol I HIGHLY disagree with your premise. The only two states that are a lot alike are North and South Dakota...but even then there are some large differences. Let me break it down for you:

North Dakota: Least populated of the four. Badlands in the west (semiarid, very rocky with many, many gulches), Red River Valley in the east. Four major centers of population: Fargo in the east, Grand Forks in the northeast, Bismarck-Mandan in the center, and Minot in the north. Coldest state of the four, and second coldest state in the lower 48. The most reserved people of the four live in this state. There are also more native americans in this state.

South Dakota: 2nd least populated (+200,000 on ND). Black Hills in the west, and the Missouri River Valley generally divides the state. Four major centers of population: Sioux Falls in the southeast, Aberdeen in the northeast, Pierre in the center, and Rapid City in the west. Western half of state is one of the warmest areas in the four states. Bigger tourist destination, and big financial sector.

Nebraska: 2nd most populated (+1,000,000 on SD). Missouri River Valley in the east, Platte River in the south central area where most population lies, badland-like areas in the Panhandle. Four major population centers with 1 major city: Omaha in the east, Lincoln in the southeast, Grand Island/Tri-Cities in the south central area, and Scottsbluff out west. Much bigger farming areas than SD, ND, also a very large meat production state (specifically beef). Also, more lakes, rivers for recreational activities. Very large metro area around Omaha with a diverse economy. Friendliest people in this state.

Kansas: Most populated of the four (+1,000,000 on NE). General farmland dominates state, with hillier regions in the east around the Kansas/Missouri Rivers, the Arkansas River Valley crossing the state coming up from OK, and very dry areas with many gulches out west. Eight major centers of population including 2 major cities: Kansas City in the far east; Lawrence, Topeka, and Manhattan in the northeast; Salina in north central; Wichita in south central; and Dodge City and Garden City out west. Higher crime in this state compared to other three, and significantly more tornadoes than the other three. More diverse farming, also.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,100 times
Default Black Hills

The Black Hills are awesome wesern SD would be my pick of the four choices.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:34 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,469,674 times
I would agree that these states have big differences.

I choose Nebraska, because I'm already here which makes me bias.. :-)

Kansas is warmer, but you get more Tornadoes and the real Kansas City is in Missouri, I would agree Olathe is nice, but it's similar to Omaha to me.

SD does have the nice Black Hills area, but the towns are so spread out, I don't think I would like living there, I prefer to just visit.

ND, I've never been there, but I figure it's cold. I'll probably visit one day during the summer and see what's going on up there.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:02 PM

46 posts, read 118,668 times
ew.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:50 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,431 times
And people think Indiana is bad. This would be the worst choice ever if you had to live in one of these places.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,164,972 times
South Dakota.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andillus View Post
ew.
Grow up.

There is life in this country outside the Northeast (Thank God).

Old 04-15-2010, 12:54 PM

1,213 posts, read 2,321,770 times
I would hate to live in any of these states, I would rather Minnesota be on the list but if i absolutely had to pick one I would live in Kansas City, KS

Old 04-15-2010, 08:29 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andillus View Post
ew.
What are you saying Ew for?

I'm from Maryland, it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City