Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which arena is better?
Verizon Center (D.C.) 6 66.67%
United Center (Chicago) 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well City Center DC is just the tip of the iceburg. There are so many different developments in the area its really not close. The locations are not even a fair comparison.
I would say the locations are like comparing FedEx Field's location in Landover, MD to Soldier Field's location in downtown Chicago right now. One's dead, one is much more lively.

Until any developments happen around that Western side, the United Center won't have a "lively" surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:26 PM

541 posts, read 913,025 times
Verizon Center for location.

United Center for everything else.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:28 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
I will say this though. United Center seats>>Verizon Center. Man the Verizon center seats sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Well City Center DC is just the tip of the iceburg. There are so many different developments in the area its really not close. The locations are not even a fair comparison.
Well I do agree there. I work near the City Center so I see the different developments. It helps that it's close to the convention center.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:53 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Until Chicago starts developing on their large parking lots surrounding the United Center. Besides, City Center won't do much if the average Joe can't afford to do a thing around it.
United Center parking lots were created by the instant urban renewal also known as the 1968 Martin Luther King riots. Those lots have been there a long, long time.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Very familiar with both, been to each nearly a dozen times or so....

Verizon Center hands down wins on location, it is one of the most vibrant areas in DC, while the United Center, is in an undeserved part of the city (though it is slowly improving). In terms of the actual arena, I prefer the United Center. Hopefully DC can one day get a NBA caliber team to play in their fine arena :P
It's not even going slowly; the area around UC has been ''booming'' since the early 1990s when the plans for the UC got moving. However, after 20 years, the area around UC is still edgy and lacking any vibrancy. The area around the Verizon Center is hustle-bustle and it sits atop 3 subway lines and is adjacent museums, hotels etc. I was just there and the area is great.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
I agree about the Verizon Center's location...wins hands down. I didn't find it amazingly vibrant, but it still had action going on. UC's location...nothing much going on around it. Honestly I always shake my head at everything. Someone mentioned Soldier Field too...that's not vibrant at all either. It's better than UC but in reality it's not like there's stuff around it. Wrigley Field area is by far the best in the city and nothing else can compete with that.

Anyway as far as location goes, Verizon Center wins. I like UC as an arena more though, but it's not by a ton.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
United Center parking lots were created by the instant urban renewal also known as the 1968 Martin Luther King riots. Those lots have been there a long, long time.
I'm aware of that. I'm just pointing out that they could potentially be bulldozed over for a big development.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM

[quote=Spade;28593396]I'm aware of that. I'm just pointing out that they could potentially be bulldozed over for a big development.[/QUOTE
It's been 45 years since 1968 and at least 23 years since planning for the UC started; it turned dirt in 1992 and opened in 1994. The area around it should be vibrant by now with all the talk in the '90s about how the area from the Loop to UC was going to boom. Sure there's nice development in the West Loop but the UC sits alone on W Madison Street. Too bad it didn't go in the South Loop or another urban-connected site.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I agree about the Verizon Center's location...wins hands down. I didn't find it amazingly vibrant, but it still had action going on. UC's location...nothing much going on around it. Honestly I always shake my head at everything. Someone mentioned Soldier Field too...that's not vibrant at all either. It's better than UC but in reality it's not like there's stuff around it. Wrigley Field area is by far the best in the city and nothing else can compete with that.

Anyway as far as location goes, Verizon Center wins. I like UC as an arena more though, but it's not by a ton.
One thing I do like about the Verizon Center is that it is in the heart of DC and not in a no-man's-land like UC.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm aware of that. I'm just pointing out that they could potentially be bulldozed over for a big development.
Perhaps the 2016 Olympics would have been a good development-shot around the UC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City