Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Texas would ever have #1 in population?
yes 18 31.03%
no 40 68.97%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:53 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Yeah, but there are several other states in this country that have those, not in close proximity, yet they are still considered desirable.
None like California that have them all in one (except maybe Hawaii).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
None like California that have them all in one (except maybe Hawaii).
So. I like CA but I also like Colorado, Washington, Connecticut, Oregon, New Mexico, and several other states for living in. I think Hawaii would blow CA out of the water if it wasn't so tiny and isolated. That's it's problem, because Honolulu would definitely be on my list if it wasn't for those factors. But I do agree that CA will grow because people will want to live there, but there are 49 other states and some of them are high in demand.I can't predict the future so who knows? Doesn't really bother me if CA stays #1.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:44 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I believe the biggest issue for people when it comes to considering living in CA is earthquakes. Those of us who aren't familiar with earthquakes; see them as very scary. However, it's the same thing with coastal cities with hurricanes and tornadoes in central parts in Texas.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No it wont happen.

Texas has a much better economy and is cheaper, but California is a much more desirable place to live. People will still end up moving there regardless.
Now that's what you call an "opinion".

Because I can think of several things that are UNdesireable about Cali..... One of which has already been mentioned above.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:30 PM

631 posts, read 1,575,242 times
Eventually at the rate that people are leaving Cali then yes Texas will eventually surpass California in population. Unlike Cali Texas has FAR more room for expansion and half the issues that Cali has. Considering that Texans seem to be spread out in many different cities (mainly Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio, which are all in different parts of the state) and that most of Cali's population lies south of San Jose (mostly around the LA metro) Texas will keep on growing while the Golden State will keep on shrinking.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 2,278,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I love WA. You never know, it might be one of the fasted growing states soon and Seattle is doing pretty well.
Shhhhhhhhh

Old 01-16-2010, 06:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Eventually at the rate that people are leaving Cali then yes Texas will eventually surpass California in population. Unlike Cali Texas has FAR more room for expansion and half the issues that Cali has. Considering that Texans seem to be spread out in many different cities (mainly Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio, which are all in different parts of the state) and that most of Cali's population lies south of San Jose (mostly around the LA metro) Texas will keep on growing while the Golden State will keep on shrinking.
That's the thing with Texas, it's really strange, but I guess it's because it has so much wide open land. You keep seeing these little towns you never heard of or thought of before and they start growing like crazy and that probably won't stop for awhile because they're just scattered across the state. That's why I think Texas could surpass, but I'm still also convinced that no matter what economic downturn California is in, people will still want to move there, unless some horrible earthquake happens and everyone loses their homes.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,565 times
Everyone keeps going on about earthquakes. It seems like people who have never stepped foot in california worry more earthquakes then actual residents of the state lol. When earthquakes happen out here we stop look at the person next to us and say oh I think that was an earthquake and then carry on whatever we were doing lol.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:13 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Everyone keeps going on about earthquakes. It seems like people who have never stepped foot in california worry more earthquakes then actual residents of the state lol. When earthquakes happen out here we stop look at the person next to us and say oh I think that was an earthquake and then carry on whatever we were doing lol.
It's not just quakes.....

Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
I don't think it will happen. These boom bust cycles have happened both to CA and Texas I believe, and people I think are guessing the future on what has happened the past decade or so.

I never hear anyone speak about the "Texas dream" vs the "California dream". People are always quick to write off CA, again, based on what has happened the past decade or so. But CA has always found a way to be resilient and come back.

Reminds me of how everyone, including the fed govt. basically wrote off NYC as a dying city, as an ultimate failure of what could go wrong, esp back in the 70's. But look how it came back and continued to stay on top as the nation's supreme city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City