Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 10:55 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Atlanta has plenty of entertainment, but the destruction of downtown Buckhead left it without a large and cohesive entertainment district. It's a problem for anyone coming into town and looking for such a thing...you'll spend half your night in taxicabs if you want to make the rounds.
Virginia-Highland is about the closest thing we have to what Buckhead was, and it is busy on weekends. But it is not nearly on the scale of what Buckhead was.
So what happened to Buckhead? Did the rich folk in the area put an end to the nightlife crowds? Is it only a shopping destination these days?

I preferred to do my drinking the Virginia-Highlands/5 Points area myself when I visited anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
So what happened to Buckhead? Did the rich folk in the area put an end to the nightlife crowds? Is it only a shopping destination these days?

I preferred to do my drinking the Virginia-Highlands/5 Points area myself when I visited anyway.
5Lakes, Buckhead basically became out of control in the "Village" district where all the bars were concentrated. I think the Ray Lewis stabbing incident was the nail in the coffin. Things were so bad that the City actually changed the closing hours of ALL bars City-wide.

Now the entire West Village area is under construction as the new "Streets of Buckhead," an upscale dining/residential/shopping complex.

I also much prefer Virginia-Highlands - more my speed.

If you haven't already, check out Downtown Decatur on one of your trips down. Sounds like your kind of place.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Let me clarify. I never said that these cities do not have dynamic downtowns. What I said was that I disagree with Forbes' assessment. Forbes comes out with a list for everything from "best place to brush your teeth" to best city for drinking green tea". In my opinion, at least half of their lists are disasters. The criteria used for some of their lists is often questionable at best. I'm not trying to disparage your place, but having done quite a lot of traveling, I am basing this on my experiences, and the experiences of my family, friends, and acquaintances.

So how many of your family,friends,and aquaintances have been to Center City Philadelphia and DC in the past 10 years ? My guess would be zero . You are certainly entitled to your opinion but when you go on a tirade about how useless Forbes is you begin to run into all sorts of problems, exposing yourself in the process. Forbes has thousands of writers and contacts and has been in publication for 90 years. To simply dismiss those facts and then add insult to injury by basically saying my friends and family know better than Forbes is absolutely incredulous.

Id like to see some of your friends data, photos, facts, anything proving that downtown DC and SF are superior in nightlife to Center City Philaldephia. Until that data is provided I cant take you or your friends seriously.

Its one thing to have an opinion its another to discredit a national publication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam
BS

Another useless Forbes list. No Vegas? Sounds pretty fishy. In addition, I have a VERY VERY hard time believing that Philly is #4, let alone Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, and Detroit being better than DC and San Francisco, respectively.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:13 PM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post

LOL excellent guess, and right on the money...so to speak.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:05 PM

8,605 posts, read 10,137,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
So how many of your family,friends,and aquaintances have been to Center City Philadelphia and DC in the past 10 years ? My guess would be zero . You are certainly entitled to your opinion but when you go on a tirade about how useless Forbes is you begin to run into all sorts of problems, exposing yourself in the process. Forbes has thousands of writers and contacts and has been in publication for 90 years. To simply dismiss those facts and then add insult to injury by basically saying my friends and family know better than Forbes is absolutely incredulous.

Id like to see some of your friends data, photos, facts, anything proving that downtown DC and SF are superior in nightlife to Center City Philaldephia. Until that data is provided I cant take you or your friends seriously.

Its one thing to have an opinion its another to discredit a national publication.
Who are you, the FBI? I could really care less whether or not you take me seriously, and my opinion of Forbes really is just that - it is about as biased as any of their lists that Forbes has self-admitted involved some estimation and assumption without all the facts. As far as 'questioning' a publication, I sincerely doubt I am the first, nor last to question Forbes lists. I take it for entertainment purposes, not gospel.

I already clarified in my previous post that I was expressing an opinion. Why do you feel the need to question my experiences, or those of my family and friends? I never questioned yours. I see you're bent out of shape because I disagree with you on a list that ranks your city higher than I personally would see it listed in this particular category. It wasn't a personal attack against you, and I never badmouthed your city. You're entitled to disagree with my assessment, but do not question my experiences. You know nothing about me nor my travels, and I feel it is rather presumptuous of you to comment in that way. So, you can take it for what it is, check out a few photos of my travels on my profile, or KMA.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:03 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You're entitled to disagree with my assessment, but do not question my experiences.
But honestly have you had any personal experiences in Center City Philadelphia or downtown Washington DC?

So pardon my boldness for having more faith in a publication thats been around since 1917 then an anonymous person on an internet message board who provides no facts to support his/her claim.

You have the right to make unsubstanciated bombastic claims. I have the right to criticize you for making such questionable allegations.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:25 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
But honestly have you had any personal experiences in Center City Philadelphia or downtown Washington DC?

So pardon my boldness for having more faith in a publication thats been around since 1917 then an anonymous person on an internet message board who provides no facts to support his/her claim.

You have the right to make unsubstanciated bombastic claims. I have the right to criticize you for making such questionable allegations.
Center City bites! Unless you like drinking with a bunch of yuppies! You too scared to loaf in the bars in South or North Philly? Center City lol lol lol ......

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Nightlife has actually sunk in lots of sunbelt cities. In Waco, we had Elm Street which was PACKED on Fridays and Saturdays. Eventually, the city got tired of all the fights and shootings going on so they closed down the area, and now coming back in and renovating it. Renovating is good, but it causes clubs to spread out all over the city instead of having a centralized party district. Austin is going to experience the same thing too.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Nightlife has actually sunk in lots of sunbelt cities. In Waco, we had Elm Street which was PACKED on Fridays and Saturdays. Eventually, the city got tired of all the fights and shootings going on so they closed down the area, and now coming back in and renovating it. Renovating is good, but it causes clubs to spread out all over the city instead of having a centralized party district. Austin is going to experience the same thing too.
Austin's been experiencing that for a while and it still has not went down yet and it shows no signs of doing so. Austin is in a much better situation than Waco in that they have a very large university that loves the action, a diverse population, and festivals that attract people from around the world throughout the year specifically the spring season.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin's been experiencing that for a while and it still has not went down yet and it shows no signs of doing so. Austin is in a much better situation than Waco in that they have a very large university that loves the action, a diverse population, and festivals that attract people from around the world throughout the year specifically the spring season.
Downtown Austin is becoming more yuppified and many people will tell you this. Why do you think people always say, they enjoyed Austin or liked it more 20 years ago. I'm going tommorow for the Relays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City