Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:04 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You got it. Of course New York. This is the place to be as most of the US corporations are headquartered here, many foreign companies and some jobs almost unavailabe in other locations like journalism, media, advertising. Come to New York spend few years in the city and then go back to the country - New York experience on your resume will get you a nice salary treatment back home.
Everything that you said is true.

People have to move to these cities whether if they like it or not. The cities on the list are where the best jobs are

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 03-21-2009 at 06:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
roflmao, I'm in the NYC metro and I plan on moving OUT after college. I might come back later in life, but I grew up around here and NYC is just NYC to me. Plus I could get more for less elsewhere.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:40 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,796,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
You got it. Of course New York. This is the place to be as most of the US corporations are headquartered here, many foreign companies and some jobs almost unavailabe in other locations like journalism, media, advertising. Come to New York spend few years in the city and then go back to the country - New York experience on your resume will get you a nice salary treatment back home.
Do you work for the New York City visitors bureau or something?

Yes, New York has great jobs but the reason why so many people DON'T succeed there is because they are so high up and impossible to get. Do you know how many horror stories I have heard about people dropping everything and moving to New York, only to come back within a year regretting it?

But you wouldn't even consider those, now would you?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Meh. Roommates are overrated. What would happen if you are sharing an apartment with two others guys and you wanted to bring home a date one night to...you know...??? Can you just tell them "Scram?!!"

Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
The country? Is everywhere else outside NYC considered the country??? Or were you speaking of immigrants and meant to say your country? (I'm hoping... )
When I tell my friends where I'm going for college they look shocked. "Why would you want to live out in the sticks?" Thats the "boonies". But honestly I seriously thought as a kid that outside of NYC everything was cornfields except for Disney world. But I was like 10.

After college I think I'm going to move to a mid sized city so I could keep more of my pay check for vacations, cars, a nice apartment, and etc.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Do you work for the New York City visitors bureau or something?

Yes, New York has great jobs but the reason why so many people DON'T succeed there is because they are so high up and impossible to get. Do you know how many horror stories I have heard about people dropping everything and moving to New York, only to come back within a year regretting it?

But you wouldn't even consider those, now would you?
I don't think anyone could just "drop everything" and make it in any major city. If you don't have plans to get an education and then find a decent job, don't be surprised if you lose years of your life for nothing. The reason NYC has this reputation is because dumb teenagers get the idea from Friends and Sex and the City that they can just go there and live in a spacious Manhattan apartment being a busboy or columnist. Ditto for dumb teenagers thinking they'll be "discovered" in LA.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Really? I've always thought Chicago, New York, and San Fransisco were far too expensive for young people just starting out.
No way, those are the only cities that have jobs so we can actually afford to pay off the student loans we racked up! Some are more expensive for sure. Hence why Chicago is #1, it isn't too expensive. Some are also the ONLY place for certain job markets... I did Poli Sci as one degree and people go to DC in flocks from everywhere in the country.
Chicago is where I went from Florida
Now worked about 7 years and gonna do a more expensive city, San Fran. Pretty sure I can handle it as I am much better at budgeting, etc. now and over the post college still going out all the time stage. Plus have more experience to get more than an entry level job coming out of university. Also currently working on my master's part time.
I know what many posters are talking about all too well though, we are going to live outside the city for a few years in Santa Rosa...then make the move inwards once we can afford it better. Me and my gf are both very aware of living costs, but positioning ourselves to succeed. SF and NYC are still daunting price wise hence why we are going to take 2-3 years outside SF, then move inwards.

I think most recent college grads should go to cities like Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Phoenix, Philadelphia etc... big city amenities they can handle... then go to cities like Seattle, Boston, SF, LA, NYC, DC

For somebody coming from low income and middle income families, this is really the only way to move up a class level and live a more fulfilling life.

Mid level cities for me, just don't really offer the salaries and cost of living is pretty much the same as Atlanta, Houston, Chicago yada yada... so you can save more money there, than say, Jacksonville or Indianapolis. I would honestly recommend to recent college grads to not go to middle sized cities at all and instead go to one of the cheaper major metro areas.

Last edited by grapico; 03-21-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 AM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I don't think anyone could just "drop everything" and make it in any major city. If you don't have plans to get an education and then find a decent job, don't be surprised if you lose years of your life for nothing. The reason NYC has this reputation is because dumb teenagers get the idea from Friends and Sex and the City that they can just go there and live in a spacious Manhattan apartment being a busboy or columnist. Ditto for dumb teenagers thinking they'll be "discovered" in LA.
To some extent. But there are plenty of smart and well-educated people who don't realize how hard it is to find a good job (especially in professions that are based in only one city), and how quickly you can burn through your savings in a city like NY while you're looking for one.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
To some extent. But there are plenty of smart and well-educated people who don't realize how hard it is to find a good job (especially in professions that are based in only one city), and how quickly you can burn through your savings in a city like NY while you're looking for one.
And even in that case, it's a matter of people not being prepared for what they should expect. With more careful planning and backups, things like that can be prevented.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
Everything that you said is true.

People have to move to these cities whether if they like it or not. The cities on the list are where the best jobs are
NYC has always sort of been a temporary city. People go there and reach their dreams than leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City