Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
It was about the hottest and driest summer on record. It did get well below 95 at night--the highest low was about 80 if I remember correctly. This winter has been one of the coldest and wettest in SA, getting into the 70's only a few times (very unusual). One morning in January it was 17. (I know that's short sleeve weather in MN, but for S. Texas that's a rare occurrence.) A week ago it snowed in the county.

This summer will likely be humid, so the highs should be around 95 most days.
Thanks for clarifying, I live in San Antonio and the comment "it didn't get below 95 degrees" is ludicrous. Summer nights usually are in the middle to upper 70's while not exactly cool it's not 95. I think what some who live in the south are trying to convey is there is a break in the heat at night as apposed to weeks of temperatures in the single digits or teens/20's in some northern cities in the winter. The summer heat last to long in the south and below freezing winter temps last to long up north. I have seen some of the thousands on the freeways of retired snowbirds in their RV's with plates from all across the mid-west descend on Texas to get out of the cold and return home in late May. I guess they have the best of both worlds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:20 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
My buddy spent this summer in San Antonio, TX, where for 2 weeeks the temp didn't drop below 95 degrees. Why would anyone live there?

Same concept. We Minnesotans are tough, hard workers, we dont let a little chill bring us down. It sucks, but it's winter. Most of our ancestors were from Finland, Sweden, and Germany. It's in our blood. Nothing like waking up on a sunny day in October though, or spending an entire day on a lake in July!

This is why I would live in San Antonio

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/70/Riverwalk20.jpg (broken link)

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, cost of living, crime, race, income, photos, education, maps, weather, houses, schools, neighborhoods, and more.

San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
Thanks for clarifying, I live in San Antonio and the comment "it didn't get below 95 degrees" is ludicrous. Summer nights usually are in the middle to upper 70's while not exactly cool it's not 95. I think what some who live in the south are trying to convey is there is a break in the heat at night as apposed to weeks of temperatures in the single digits or teens/20's in some northern cities in the winter. The summer heat last to long in the south and below freezing winter temps last to long up north. I have seen some of the thousands on the freeways of retired snowbirds in their RV's with plates from all across the mid-west descend on Texas to get out of the cold and return home in late May. I guess they have the best of both worlds.
Exactly, that's my main reason for liking summer weather over winter weather.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:28 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,769 times
OK, I like San Antonio, but I think people who want to live in place a solely because of a tourist attraction need to rethink their priorities. (Maybe you were talking about more than that.) People often forget that being a resident of a city is very different (almost the opposite) of being a tourist. I wouldn't want to move to San Antonio because of the Riverwalk, but I would move for what I found to be a laid back atmosphere, friendliness of the residents, and carefree vibe supported by tourists of the city.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
OK, I like San Antonio, but I think people who want to live in place a solely because of a tourist attraction need to rethink their priorities. (Maybe you were talking about more than that.) People often forget that being a resident of a city is very different (almost the opposite) of being a tourist. I wouldn't want to move to San Antonio because of the Riverwalk, but I would move for what I found to be a laid back atmosphere, friendliness of the residents, and carefree vibe supported by tourists of the city.

Well I was born in SA so that's my main reason and I have alot of relatives in SA

Old 03-18-2010, 10:45 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Nothing against SA,TX. But I need a little more than a 40ft river to live in a city. I need to be on a ocean. At least in Milwaukee we have the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan.

This is a view of Lake Michigan from the shores of Milwaukee. Milwaukee in Summer is just beautiful but winter it's like Alaska!

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Nothing against SA,TX. But I need a little more than a 40ft river to live in a city. I need to be on a ocean. At least in Milwaukee we have the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan.

This is a view of Lake Michigan from the shores of Milwaukee. Milwaukee in Summer is just beautiful but winter it's like Alaska!
Corpus Christi is only 2 hours from San Antonio and there's also Canyon Lake just north of SA.

Canyon Lake Texas Information Guide, Lodging, Vacation, Real Estate, Property, Canyon Lake Waterfront

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canyon_Lake_(Texas)

Old 03-18-2010, 11:41 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
Corpus Christi is only 2 hours from San Antonio and there's also Canyon Lake just north of SA.
True, I am a BIG fan of Corpus Christi! Besides ocean fishing is better than Great Lakes fishing. However Great Lakes fishing and boating is 2nd to Ocean Fishing and boating.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
True, I am a BIG fan of Corpus Christi! Besides ocean fishing is better than Great Lakes fishing. However Great Lakes fishing and boating is 2nd to Ocean Fishing and boating.

Yeah, I actually go to South Padre alot more than Corpus my parents have a place down at South Padre but it's a little further than Corpus SPI is 6 hours from Austin and about 5 from SA

Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
There is also Medina Lake 30 minutes from northwest/far west SA and Braunig and Calaveras Lakes on the southside for fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City