Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,470,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
jj, while those northerners are cooped up inside their houses doing nothing but over-eating and studying, southererns are barbecuing, chillaxin by the pool, enjoying the sun with some fine ladies, etc. I'll take the southern lifestyle thank you very much!

its kind of funny how the states in the south are listed with the highest obesity rates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 03:17 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,470,451 times
Quote:
you can only be out in that cold for so long before it has adverse effects on your health. with the heat, all u need is some water and maybe some lotion. don't worry about your back, that fine lady in a bikini will help you out. what are you going to do? have a pretty girl wearing a marshmellow suit buckle up your skis?
have you ever heard of skin cancer?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM

880 posts, read 2,849,778 times
Tell you what, I'll change places with you. You can have the ultra conservative, super high heat and humidity of GA and I'll take the liberal cold of the Upper Midwest!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:19 AM

32,604 posts, read 77,247,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
translation = I'm narrow minded and my way is the only way of thinking. Anybody with different tastes is crazy because I'm close minded.
I'm personally awaiting a credible explanation as to why his profile says "Normal" after sexual orientation, as if people like me are mutants. I still don't even know why he felt the need to bring up the fact that he lives near gays in his reply to you. Why are so many straight guys so damn fascinated by gay guys---we don't have cooties you know!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:33 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Quote:
jj, while those northerners are cooped up inside their houses doing nothing but over-eating and studying, southererns are barbecuing, chillaxin by the pool, enjoying the sun with some fine ladies, etc. I'll take the southern lifestyle thank you very much!

Not necessarily. At least with me, I was most active during the winter months with sports. Even in the snowstorms, we would drive all over the north to my hockey games/tournaments

Old 03-22-2009, 09:15 AM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Seriously? You'd take 30k and pretty much be stuck wherever you're living over 92k and the financial freedom to jet off to Europe, Japan, wherever? Eating at Red Lobster for a special occasion over eating at a world-renowned restaurant? etc., etc.

And my take on cold weather is it makes you appreciate the summer that much more. I've found that people who live in warm climates for the most part brag about it, but rarely take advantage of it. Whereas people in the north practically live outside during the summer.
lol, that is my thinking... and why I went to Chicago... not for THAT extreme, but about twice as much as the pay I would have got in Florida.
I am back here now and the low pay only gets me the weather, not much worth doing here to go out, and can't afford to get out! lol...leaving in June so I will have made it 6 months! It is late march and already too humid for my taste.
I am a big athletic guy and sweat extremely easily (little trivia: athletes start sweating easier, more and sweat at a lower body temperature)... It isn't about the HEAT so much but the HUMIDITY HUMIDITY HUMIDITY. I'd take 100 and no humidity any day over florida 75 and humid. I feel like I can't cool off here in Florida that I'm constantly sweating.
I always thought the northern cities tried to cram as much as possible into the summer months
A1withnature, you are a bit out of touch of lifestyles in the south if you think that is what it is, that is what people on VACATION here do, not people actually living.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:04 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,986,942 times
Quote:
I'm personally awaiting a credible explanation as to why his profile says "Normal" after sexual orientation, as if people like me are mutants.
lol!!!!

I actually had a running bet with another cd'er on how long it would take for someone to notice that and get offended and how they would respond. I lost I figured somebody would have picked up on it within the first week. I lost 20$.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
I wouldn't want to live in a dying north rust belt city as they currently have been the last decade or so, shorter for others, more for some. And I don't see many people doing this or liking it.

Instead of drastic measures to get out of the cold or their situation to an extreme change in places like Florida, I think more might be happier to go somewhere like Minneeapolis, Chicago, Pittsburgh which have fared much better and closer to the life I imagine they used to have.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:01 PM

188 posts, read 518,934 times
I love how this evolved into a North vs. South thread.

Anyway, I've spent some time up north and I really didn't see too much happening in Milwaukee (isn't that just a suburb of Chicago? j/k.), Detroit or Cleveland. Detroit actually is a happening city, but all this fear and flight in that area really hurts its potential. I will agree that the weather could be the primary factor as to why everything up there is either 'dead' or stuck in some sort of time warp. But then again, Chicago, Minneapolis and Toronto (yeah, I know) appear to be much more active than their northern siblings.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:24 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
have you ever heard of skin cancer?
What does heat have to do with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City