Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,679,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
How can shoreline of a state, be comprised of shoreline that does not belong to the State? That makes no sense at all.

Yes islands are included in the shoreline count, same as they are in coastal regions as well.

I hope you are not using the figures used by "Infoplease" because they were figured using charts in 1939 and 1940.
Nope not using "Infoplease" never even heard of it and I'm pretty sure not that much shoreline has been added to either states seeing as there not expanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:51 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,489,181 times
1. Florida
2. Hawaii
3. California
4. New Jersey
5. New York

Old 03-22-2009, 08:44 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Nope not using "Infoplease" never even heard of it and I'm pretty sure not that much shoreline has been added to either states seeing as there not expanding.
But you do realize that you are using two totally different methods of measuring shoreline right? The one you are using for California is measuring every estuary, river mouth, inlet, and variation in actual coastline (tidal coastline) where the figure you are using for Michigan is NOT, but just the basic shape of the shoreline (General Coastline). If you look at the charts that put Michigan at 3288 miles, they put the California coastline at 840 miles. As far as I know there isn't anyplace I can find that measures fresh water shoreline the same way they measure coastal waters. The ones that do use the same measurements put of course Alaska WAY out in front with over 6600 miles of coastline, Michigan 2nd at 3288 miles. If you are using tidal measurements then California coastline is shorter than Maine, Louisiana, Florida, and of course Alaska.

Last edited by Bydand; 03-22-2009 at 09:14 AM..

Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM

I'm actually not measuring shoreline myself at all..none of this information I compiled myself it is all just stuff I found...I'll still take the quality of California's coastline over the quantity of Michigan or Louisiana..Maine Florida and Alaska have breath taking coastlines as well.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
I'll still take the quality of California's coastline over the quantity of Michigan or Louisiana..Maine Florida and Alaska have breath taking coastlines as well.

Have you actually BEEN to any Michigan beaches? I'll take the quality here in MI over the quality of California beaches any day.

Now if it were a contest of views, and scenery associated with coastlines, it would be VERY hard to beat the abundance of different types of shoreline California has to offer in a relatively short distance from each other.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
IMO 1. California 2. Florida 3. Hawaii 4. North Carolina 5. South Carolina

Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Have you actually BEEN to any Michigan beaches? I'll take the quality here in MI over the quality of California beaches any day.

Now if it were a contest of views, and scenery associated with coastlines, it would be VERY hard to beat the abundance of different types of shoreline California has to offer in a relatively short distance from each other.
To be fair and honest not in any recent years that would make a difference on my opinion but I'll try to check some out this summer if one of my trips goes as planned but I have been all over the great lakes and will say while beautiful I much prefer the ocean and the beauty of California and while there are some ho-hum and a couple filthy beaches the better ones are AMAZING and hard to compete with.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
1. Massachusetts
2. Hawaii
3. North Carolina
4. Florida
5. Rhode Island

Old 03-22-2009, 10:26 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default California Coast National Monument

Quote:
To be fair and honest not in any recent years that would make a difference on my opinion but I'll try to check some out this summer if one of my trips goes as planned but I have been all over the great lakes and will say while beautiful I much prefer the ocean and the beauty of California and while there are some ho-hum and a couple filthy beaches the better ones are AMAZING and hard to compete with.
Not only is the California coastline one of the longest - it is one of the most beautiful. So beautiful in fact, that the ENTIRE 1,000+ coastline from Oregon to Mexico is now part of a National Monument.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Not only is the California coastline one of the longest - it is one of the most beautiful. So beautiful in fact, that the ENTIRE 1,000+ coastline from Oregon to Mexico is now part of a National Monument.
Wow I havn't even heard that,thank you for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City