Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is less southern?
Atlanta 41 18.47%
Dallas 96 43.24%
Houston 85 38.29%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:19 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,480,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True, and that goes for cities outside of the south as well.

The only clear cut definition I could give you of Accent and Dialect is:
Dialect is how you pronounce some words while Accent is how you talk.....
Exactly, but the many posters on here will say that blacks have the same "southern" accent nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:21 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
yeah, but the general pronunciation differs from place to place. It's simply the same word. The same word will sound different from place to place
No the general pronunciation does not sound different.

I wish I could provide proof but I'm on mobile web and i can't copy links or anything like that. What i can do is advise you to go to youtube and search for videos of people from Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta talking and see what i mean.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
No the general pronunciation does not sound different.

I wish I could provide proof but I'm on mobile web and i can't copy links or anything like that. What i can do is advise you to go to youtube and search for videos of people from Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta talking and see what i mean.
I've been to all 3 more than enough times and have family in each. While I can say there is a similarity in the words used, they sound nothing alike. When I talk to a person from Atlanta, I have no doubt that they are from Atlanta or at least Georgia.

Now, of course there is that section of middle class all over the country that has become generic and just take on a sort of stereotypical regional accent. If you take a look at the upper class, lower middle class, working class and poor, the original accent or dialect (at this point I can't distinguish the two) is maintained.

If you associate with people from an area with a lot of transplants or the "generic" status that i mentioned above, then of course you could say they sound similar and what not, but that is the only way.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
He actually has a point, especially among black Houstonians. That accent is unique to that area. Same with Atlanta, New Orleans, and Miami. You could pick them out anywhere.

Also, give me a clear cut definition of Accent.
How do you seperate accent from dialect?
For a word to be pronounced it has to be stressed, so to have a general pronounciation don't you need a general stress?
The difference you hear between Atl and Hou is dialect not accent. With an accent it is how you stress a sound really.

The word "call": New yorkers might say it "cooall" while we southerners say "cawll". That's the accent. Dialect includes the stress you have on "cawll" and how you might form the sentence it's in.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I've been to all 3 more than enough times and have family in each. While I can say there is a similarity in the words used, they sound nothing alike. When I talk to a person from Atlanta, I have no doubt that they are from Atlanta or at least Georgia.

Now, of course there is that section of middle class all over the country that has become generic and just take on a sort of stereotypical regional accent. If you take a look at the upper class, lower middle class, working class and poor, the original accent or dialect (at this point I can't distinguish the two) is maintained.

If you associate with people from an area with a lot of transplants or the "generic" status that i mentioned above, then of course you could say they sound similar and what not, but that is the only way.
I'm sorry but the claim that they sound nothing alike is absolutely ridiculous to me.

I've done my best to give you a specific example now I'd like you to do the same cause I REALLY wanna hear this.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:49 PM

ok take "There" for example. Person from Dallas says "It's right theurr!". Person from Houston says "It's right dea!". Person in Louisiana says "It's right deh!" Is that accent or dialect?

Same general area so they have the same accent?

Now if someone from Atlanta said the same sentence, it would sound closest to the Houston variant. It would sound different though.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
ok take "There" for example. Person from Dallas says "It's right theurr!". Person from Houston says "It's right dea!". Person in Louisiana says "It's right deh!" Is that accent or dialect?

Same general area so they have the same accent?

Now if someone from Atlanta said the same sentence, it would sound closest to the Houston variant. It would sound different though.
If you hear any difference it's likely dialect.

Lol and my stepdaddy is from Louisiana and he don't say no "right deh!" he says "right dea"

Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
If you hear any difference it's likely dialect.

Lol and my stepdaddy is from Louisiana and he don't say no "right deh!" he says "right dea"
So you don't see any difference in those 3?

That's why i said "person from _____" and not "people in _____". Louisiana has to many accents/dialects to choose from. New Orleans has at least 5+, more like 10+, in the metro area alone. From end to next you would hear Dea, Dah, Deh, Dair, and everything in between.

What part of Louisiana is he from?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Sam Houston wasn't a part of southern history? What about Mirabeau B. Lamar? Were there not slave plantations and abolitionist movements in Houston? Was Texas not a part of the Confederacy? What about the numerous schools across Texas named after Robert E. Lee?

True the bigger events took place in Atlanta making it somewhat of the cornerstone of the South, but does that alone make it more southern?
Yes. In a way it DOES make it more southern.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Nothing really to disagree about on this one, my friend. Matter of fact, we probably DON'T, really (disagree, that is). We just might say it in different ways...if that makes sense...but probably not off the same page too much...!

Texas IS western. It is mainly Southern. The two are not contradictory. Just as Kansas is both western and Midwestern, so is Texas both western and Southern. Texas is the western part of the South, whereas states like New Mexico and Arizona are the southern parts of the West. And a state like Kansas (or Nebraska or the Dakotas) are the "western" part of the Midwest...

LOL Oh man, I have distant kin in the Deep South who don't even consider Louisiana and Tennessee truly Southern states. Geez...go figure!

Welllll...what states are the "rest of them"? And which are the basis of comparrison? The South has never been a monolithic "region", but rather, a certain "state of mind" and point of a common history and self-identity. And yes, affection. You know what I mean...

With the qualification that Texas -- even most of West Texas -- as a whole -- is essentially Southern and that most of the qualities which make Texas uniquely TEXAS have solid Southern roots? I will agree agree with you in lots of important ways.
As always, Good post my friend. I guess we do agree, but with different words. The ONLY thing I disagree with is West Texas being southern, from a Geographical, and topography standpoint, I see NOTHING in west Texas resembling anything in MISS, AL, NC, GA ect, ect. West Texas looks more like NM then it does the south. I don't include west Texas. The only thing southern about West Texas is there ancestry. No offense directed towards you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City