Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is less southern?
Atlanta 41 18.47%
Dallas 96 43.24%
Houston 85 38.29%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Because Coniferous forest is the ONE common thing that ALL southern states have in common. Most Texans know once you cross east Texas into central Texas, the culture starts to change dramatically ALONG with the geography. Well, maybe not EVERY Texan maybe just me.

After reexamining your post...can I deduce that you are saying that coniferous forest coverage in the MAJORITY of the state, is the thing that most states have in common?...if so I get your point, and I cant really disagree with that one...Dallas and much of Texas wouldnt be as Southern as Atlanta or Georgia in that respect... But then again, Im not a proponent of judging the degree of Southerness of a state on its relativity to the culture found in only Mississippi or Alabama...(not trying to say that you are a proponent of doing that, just saying that Im not one..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I fully get your point...and it is one that I often make myself...being that the landscape DRAMATICALLY changes west of I45 and west of Tyler...But technically, coniferous forest does not even cover ALL of every Southern state...but each Southern state has some of it, including Texas...But then so to do Midwestern states..so I question the reliability of the coniferous forest as a prevailing qualifier for being a southern state...because if it is, then Texas is in by default, but if the fact that Texas has a few different other types of landscapes excludes it from being fully southern, then that would disqualify some of Arkansas, Virginia and a couple of other Southern states.. I just wander if you literally would like to segment the sections of Texas (and those other states) into those regions that are Southern and those that are not...

Obviously, that would be optimal, and I would be interested in seeing what boundaries we come up with, but unfortunately the state isnt likely to segment itself anytime soon...so we kind of have to accept the state as Southern, if we acknowledge that other southern states have land in them that is not coniferous as well, doesnt it?
Good point. But the difference is Texas takes it to the EXTREME. There are other southern states where there are parts with no coniferous forest, but those other states are relativity small and unnoticeable compared to Texas. A good 75% of Texas WEST of I-45 is like the latter, with NO coniferous. And to me and A LOT of other people I met, it FEELS less southern. But maybe it isn't the GREATEST of qualifiers.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
After reexamining your post...can I deduce that you are saying that coniferous forest coverage in the MAJORITY of the state, is the thing that most states have in common?...if so I get your point, and I cant really disagree with that one...Dallas and much of Texas wouldnt be as Southern as Atlanta or Georgia in that respect... But then again, Im not a proponent of judging the degree of Southerness of a state on its relativity to the culture found in only Mississippi or Alabama...(not trying to say that you are a proponent of doing that, just saying that Im not one..)
Yes that's what I meant, I was using that as a benchmark of being southern or southerness. Maybe it wasn't the BEST criteria, but that's what I wanted to use.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,844,675 times
Here is my opinion and answer. Which city is less southern...both Dallas and Houston. Texas as the great state that it is has its own culture. It's not southern in the way the rest of the south is and it's not southwern like the rest of the southwest. Like other great states Texas has it's own culture and has been more of an influence on other states (including the south) than vice versa.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have to disagree about Charlottesville. Charlottesville isn't that southern to me. My dad is from there and they talk fast and are much more foward like northeners.
and guess what, most Northerners would disagree that Charlottesville is city like them. Charlottesville seems Southern to me. The transition is really around Fredericksburg.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
and guess what, most Northerners would disagree that Charlottesville is city like them. Charlottesville seems Southern to me. The transition is really around Fredericksburg.
agree to disagree, but Charlottesville is different from the south.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Here is my opinion and answer. Which city is less southern...both Dallas and Houston. Texas as the great state that it is has its own culture. It's not southern in the way the rest of the south is and it's not southwern like the rest of the southwest. Like other great states Texas has it's own culture and has been more of an influence on other states (including the south) than vice versa.
Nice.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I kinda even see it in Petersburg and Richmond. KINDA.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Yes that's what I meant, I was using that as a benchmark of being southern or southerness. Maybe it wasn't the BEST criteria, but that's what I wanted to use.
Nope, thats fair enough...and it really cant be disputed...but I will say this, which doesnt discredit your point one bit..but it can get pretty subjective, depending on which factors one chooses to use...your criteria, IMO is very valid, and finite...

1) because that criteria isnt JUST relegated to the most Southern of southern states (Mississippi and Alabama)

2) Its very easy to lay boundaries for that criteria,

But other factors, as Im sure you already know, tend to blur lines a great deal...

But one last thing in passing about Texas/New Mexico terrain in particular, much of what we recognize as Desert and barren plains were actually at one time fertile grassland before the overgrazing of Spaniard equine...and at one time was closer in texture to other fertile regions than the scrubby course terrain we see out there now...

But thats neither here nor there as it concerns your point...It wouldnt have been as dense as the Southeast anyway...so your point/criteria is a good one and cant really be disputed..IMO

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,498,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
agree to disagree, but Charlottesville is different from the south.
It attracts people from all over the region(VA,MD,WV,DC). And it's very liberal. So I can see why you think that. The Monticello is very Old Virginia-iconic, though.

Quote:
I kinda even see it in Petersburg and Richmond. KINDA.
Yes, its even in Richmond. But the culture hasn't been diluted. Yet, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City