Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is less southern?
Atlanta 41 18.47%
Dallas 96 43.24%
Houston 85 38.29%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:36 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times

Advertisements

S. Louisiana writes off N. Louisiana as TX and AR anyway. (I don't personally, but many do. I just think their different. j/k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
S. Louisiana writes off N. Louisiana as TX and AR anyway. (I don't personally, but many do. I just think their different. j/k)
So true..and Shreveport feels so much like an East Texas town to me that promotes gambling...Almost feels like an extension of Longview, Tx.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
So true..and Shreveport feels so much like an East Texas town to me that promotes gambling...Almost feels like an extension of Longview, Tx.
Or Marshall!

Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
You're absolutely right. That's my bad. But it's pretty much second nature on this forum to assume that somebody's trying to correct you.

And people from Shreveport claim Texas? Now that's something I didn't know.
That doesn't surprise me one bit. Most people in Northern Louisiana are Cowboy fans as opposed to being Saint fans. There is a large Longhorn fanbase in Shreveport for some odd reason.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Well we're still agreeing to disagree
I guess we will.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:57 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That doesn't surprise me one bit. Most people in Northern Louisiana are Cowboy fans as opposed to being Saint fans. There is a large Longhorn fanbase in Shreveport for some odd reason.
Longhorns? Who would've thought?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM

3,073 posts, read 8,025,234 times
Quote:
Well you already know that we would welcome the City of Shreveport with open arms. I just had no idea things were so different across the state lines.
The way business and government matters are conducted in La is entirely different from anywhere else and not for the better.

And one reason the Cowboys have always been number one around here is that they win (well they did have their glory days). The Saints on the other hand have never had a really decisively winning season all the way to the super bowl in their 42 year history. Most Americans like a winner. We like to hitch our wagon to a star, you see. If the Saints could do that, they wouldn't have all those money problems in which the state had to pay them money for being in such a small market. They would draw huge crowds.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Texas, Lousianna, and Arkansas compliments each other. Most people from Northern LA and southern Arkansas move to DALLAS for better oportunies because Dallas is the largest city in the region. Houston influence on southern Lousianna has increased drastically since the hurricane devastated New Orleans.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The way business and government matters are conducted in La is entirely different from anywhere else and not for the better.

And one reason the Cowboys have always been number one around here is that they win (well they did have their glory days). The Saints on the other hand have never had a really decisively winning season all the way to the super bowl in their 42 year history. Most Americans like a winner. We like to hitch our wagon to a star, you see. If the Saints could do that, they wouldn't have all those money problems in which the state had to pay them money for being in such a small market. They would draw huge crowds.
Who dat, who dat!.. I know, everybody says they'll beat the Saints!

But see that's a difference between the North and South ends of the state. The Saint's wouldn't have to win a single game but would sell out the dome almost every time. S.E. Louisianians have this pride thing. We can lose, get washed away, take blow after blow but we will still celebrate like champions in the end.

I'm not saying N. Louisiana doesn't have pride, just an observation of the southeast. I don't really know the north enough.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Texas, Lousianna, and Arkansas compliments each other. Most people from Northern LA and southern Arkansas move to DALLAS for better oportunies because Dallas is the largest city in the region. Houston influence on southern Lousianna has increased drastically since the hurricane devastated New Orleans.
I think New Orleans influence on Houston increased. Houston plays a much bigger role in S. Louisiana now, but I think Louisiana is not one to sit back and be influenced (at least culturally or politically.) If anything we carried our ways over there and set up shop.

The biggest problem many cities had/have with absorbed New Orleanians were/is their unwillingness to adapt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City