Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fairfield County vs. Westchester vs. Northern NJ
Fairfield County (Greenwich; Darien; New Canaan; Westport; Fairfield, etc.) 18 30.00%
Westchester (Chappaqua; Scarsdale; Bronxville; Larchmont; Armonk; Rye etc.) 12 20.00%
Northern NJ (Alpine; Saddle River; Short Hills; Ridgewood etc.) 30 50.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:14 PM

7 posts, read 26,004 times

Advertisements

Which do you prefer and why? Please factor in:
  • Public Schools (k-12)
  • Friendliness of people
  • Aesthetics of houses and towns
  • Proximity to shopping centers (and which type you prefer: mall vs. cute outdoor shopping/dining areas)
  • Taxes
  • Proximity to the beach/shore
  • Diversity
  • Prestige
  • Value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Westchester, but it's the most expensive of the 3.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
North Jersey

-Top schools
-Best diversity in land and people by far in the categories
-Close to the best beaches of the North East

but it's funny that you name North Jersey's smaller towns that only millionaires or close to it can afford to live in.

Last edited by Newarkbomb; 03-31-2009 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 03:51 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,913,605 times
Westchester. If I had to live in Metro NY thatd be it. I'd love to do CT cuz at least its new england but it is just too far from the city. Westchester is very nice, and still close to the mountains too.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperWestBruin View Post
Which do you prefer and why? Please factor in:
  • Public Schools (k-12)
  • Friendliness of people
  • Aesthetics of houses and towns
  • Proximity to shopping centers (and which type you prefer: mall vs. cute outdoor shopping/dining areas)
  • Taxes
  • Proximity to the beach/shore
  • Diversity
  • Prestige
  • Value
I noticed your picks for Westchester and Fairfield seem to be nice towns on the Metro North Line. Some of the towns in the two counties even look similar. Most of S. Fairfield and SE. Westchester have access to beaches and boating on Long Island Sound. Scarsdale and Chappaqua (home to the Clintons) are really nice towns but away from the water.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:17 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Alpine, Saddle River and Ridgewood are in northern Bergen County, New Jersey, one of the nicer counties in the metro area. Good jump off point to go north to upstate NY but further from the Jersey shore. Although it takes longer to get to the shore from Bergen versus Westchester/Fairfield, the ocean beaches are nicer than the calmer Sound beaches IMHO. Saddle River in contrast is in Essex County but the area is very scenic and part of the Watchung Mountain range only 20 miles or so from Manhattan.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,038,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Saddle River in contrast is in Essex County but the area is very scenic and part of the Watchung Mountain range only 20 miles or so from Manhattan.
you mean short hills, not saddle river, right? short hills is in essex county while saddle river is in bergen county.

to answer the original question, i don't think any one subsection of the nyc metro has an obvious advantage over the others. some people might prefer westchester over jersey, long island, and sw connecticut for various reasons, while others might be partial to one of the latter three. but the bottom line is that you can find nice communities with charming downtowns, attractive architecture, good mass transit access to manhattan, and excellent public schools in all directions from nyc. it's all about finding the right town rather than focusing on a specific region within the metro area.

that said, i prefer northeastern nj because it contains some of the closest suburban towns to midtown and downtown manhattan. proximity to the region's employment/cultural/nightlife center is very important to me, so if i were to commute from the suburbs, i'd much rather live right across the hudson river in edgewater/fort lee or perhaps a little farther out in a bedroom community such as montclair or ridgewood than in a far-flung town such as bedford, armonk, or darien.

another thing is that i prefer the diversity and ethnic food offerings in north jersey over the other suburban regions mentioned. yes, i'm aware that port chester (located on the westchester/fairfield border) has a vibrant latin food scene, but north jersey has plenty of that (bergenline ave is north jersey's answer to roosevelt ave in queens) plus fantastic asian (korean, indian, and japanese in particular) and middle eastern (egyptian, lebanese, syrian, palestinian) food as well.

also, my understanding is that nj's taxes, as horrendous as they are, are generally lower than the ny state suburbs. of course, some towns are worse than others. and then there's the sales tax, which is lower in jersey (including no tax on clothing/shoes regardless of price) and gas, which is usually $0.30 cheaper per gallon than in ny state or ct. so despite the fact that the cost of living is more or less the same in all of nyc's suburban areas, nj is cheaper in some respects.

finally, i find that it's somewhat easier to get out of the nyc metro from north jersey for weekend road trips to the catskills, philly, or the poconos. of course, if a person were more tied to new england, then westchester/fairfield would be more convenient. it all depends on the person's preferred out-of-town destinations, but at least for me, nj doesn't feel as "penned in" as the other areas; i feel like it's easier to go to places in all directions. i also happen to prefer the ocean beaches of nj and LI's south shore over the LI sound beaches of westchester/connecticut.

but hey, that's just me. to each his own.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:13 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Of those three, Im partial to Northern New Jersey having lived in Upper Nyack and having to commute to Paramus for a while, I liked all the amenities right there.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM

23,442 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Since I'm partial to water views, I would want to locate on the Gold Coast of Connecticut...although it makes me recall something I once overheard when I was getting off the train in Darien. The woman in front of me was greeted by her friend, who said, "Welcome to Darien, where all the pretty people are." I wanted to puke.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:25 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
def NNJ!

and i grew up in Southern CT (New Haven co) & Westchester (Bronxville)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City