Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:15 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times

Advertisements

Lexington, KY! Where else can you find horse farms surrounding a city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:41 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,711,905 times
As Appalachia's only large metro area, Pittsburgh is unique by definition. The only city I've seen with an even remotely similar ambiance is Cincinnati.

I can't believe anyone would list Seattle or Portland. I defy someone to distinguish between neighborhoods in those two cities, or Vancouver, BC. Not knocking them, but they're not unique when there are three very similar cities so close together.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times
Detroit! What other U.S. city can you say your going South of the border to Canada?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:49 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Springfield,Missouri

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 AM

362 posts, read 1,057,932 times
I'm surprised San Antonio is not listed. No other city like it anywhere in the U.S.

Most unique

If you are in these downtowns you will know where you are at without anyone having to tell you.

NYC
San Fran
New Orleans & San Antonio tie
Boston
Washington D.C.

Also unique

Santa Fe
Savannah

Old 03-30-2009, 12:29 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
As Appalachia's only large metro area, Pittsburgh is unique by definition. The only city I've seen with an even remotely similar ambiance is Cincinnati.

I can't believe anyone would list Seattle or Portland. I defy someone to distinguish between neighborhoods in those two cities, or Vancouver, BC. Not knocking them, but they're not unique when there are three very similar cities so close together.
Having only been to Pittsburgh on a layover, I have heard it compared to Seattle before, in terms of the hills, cloudy weather and the greenery. From your previous posts, it seems you do not share the same opinion, so I assume it wouldn't be very accurate to compare the two? Obviously the built environment is different with the older housing stock and architecture styles.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Having only been to Pittsburgh on a layover, I have heard it compared to Seattle before, in terms of the hills, cloudy weather and the greenery. From your previous posts, it seems you do not share the same opinion, so I assume it wouldn't be very accurate to compare the two? Obviously the built environment is different with the older housing stock and architecture styles.
They really couldn't be more different.

Seattle is in the midst of their glory days as speak - Pittsburgh, well they have seen theirs.

The housing stock in Seattle is different too, you won't see too many rows, and the ones you do see are relatively new.

Seattle never declined the way Pittsburgh has, so there are no areas of abandonment, no slums really to speak of, and a very virbrant, clean and thriving downtown that remains the entire regions retail hub exists. Again, very different from Pittsburgh. The residents of Seattle are not self-hating, either.

Not really a fair comparison.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:38 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,172 times
San Francisco
New Orleans
New York City
Los Angeles
Santa Fe, NM
Savanah, GA

Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,626,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Whoa, now wait a minute. If you can't distinguish the different between Miami and Houston,Dallas, and ATL than you need to get educated. Houston lacks zoning and has a bland skyline, Miami is more caribbean, Atlanta has the southern feel with it's unique skyline. Dallas....has the reunion tower??
You need to pay attention and understand the topic before making rude remarks. The original poster asked which cities were most unique in the present U.S-- not if one can distinguish differences between cities. I guess your city must have been one of the ones I did not list as one of the most unique in America. Too bad -- get used to it.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:12 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Lexington, KY! Where else can you find horse farms surrounding a city?
Pretty much every city in the country is within an hour or less of a horse stable, even NYC. Some cities like North Phoenix, AZ and Fort Collins, CO have stables located right in the city.

My choices are:
New Orleans, LA
Honolulu, HI
Santa Fe, NM
Miami, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City