Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee(7) -vs- Cleveland(8)
Milwaukee aka: Brew City 82 56.16%
Cleveland aka: C-Town 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

PS: Do the browns have fans?
Are you serious? The Browns have some of the most hardcore fans in the NFL and Cleveland is one of the most football crazy places there is. This despite the fact that the Browns have been a joke for 15 years.

bizjournals: Cleveland is No. 1 in rankings of NFL fan loyalty (http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/43.html - broken link)

Also, Cedar Point is hands down better 6 Flags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
If you are so sure of this 2 point whatever, post the link. (and don't post some link to Milwaukee's Convention and Visitor's Bureau either.) I would like to see a third party link that says Milwaukee has 2 point whatever in its metro please.
It's called the 7 county Metro area

Choosemilwaukee.com - Milwaukee 7 - Wisconsin

Wisconsin by County - GCT-T1-R. Population Estimates (geographies ranked by estimate)

Quote:
Its not a "good" thing. Its not a "bad" thing. It is a "without Chicago, Milwaukee probably would not thrive" thing. Cleveland stands alone. Those are the facts.
Not true just look at Gary, then since Gary is so close to Chicago then why isn't Gary the Milwaukee of Chicago? I think many would argue the Milwaukee would not thrive if it was not for Chicago. Milwaukee back in it's early years(1900) had the second largest foreign population right behind New York and was the manufacturing capital of the US.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Ok, you just posted the link to a biased Milwaukee site (exactly what I asked you NOT to post). Then you posted a link to the US census county stats for the entire state.

Here is a third party site that is VERY generous in their metro populations. Emporis uses CSAs or MSAs (which ever is available for a particular city) on their site. They also use the lastest census estimates. Here is how metro Milwaukee stacks up against metro Cleveland.

Milwaukee | Emporis.com

Cleveland | Emporis.com

Again, Emporis uses the lastest census estimates. Milwaukee is not over 2 million. It doesn't surprise me that local sites in Milwaukee want folks to think that Milwaukee is though.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:45 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Who cares about which one is more urban? Cleveland has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, a NFL team (Packers are NEVER moving to Milwaukee. NEVER), and is close to one of the best theme parks in the World (Cedar Point)!!!
Your screenname is urbancharlotte, but you don't care about which city is more urban? Hmm, seems kinda strange to me.

What the hell is so hard to understand that the Green Bay Packers are the NFL team for the entire state of Wisconsin (which still includes Greater Milwaukee last time I checked)? The Packers used to play several games each season in Milwaukee, before the Brewers and Packers both got new stadiums. There are even special season ticket packages for Milwaukee residents. Let's not forget that Wisconsin only has 6 million residents, hardly enough to support 2 NFL franchises. Your Carolina Panthers not only represent the city of Charlotte and the state of North Carolina, but also all of South Carolina as well (since Charlotte is on the border).

Quote:
Add to this the fact that Cleveland is a "stand alone" city at the northern edge of a CSA population with nearly 3 million people. Metro Milwaukee has 1.7 million at best.
Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Milwaukee is also the regional center of the seven county Greater Milwaukee Area, with an estimated population of 2,014,032 as of 2008."

Quote:
Milwaukee is not so much a stand alone city (like Cleveland). Milwaukee is NEVER visited without folks stopping in Chicago before or after. In this case, Milwaukee is kinda like the "Baltimore" of the Midwest. No one goes to B-more without seeing DC before or after.

With this said, Cleveland wins hands down!
So what? Like anybody says "Hey guys, let's go to to Cleveland this weekend!"

Quote:
If you are talking about Great America in CHICAGO, you obviously haven't been to Cedar Point. Bottom line, Cedar has bigger, faster, and better coasters. Period.
Distance from Cleveland, Ohio to Sandusky, Ohio (location of Cedar Point) is 64.8 miles.

Distance from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Gurnee, Illinois (location of Six Flags Great America) is 51.9 miles.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Hey we have a Murray Hill in Cleveland too!! (from screen name/info above)

on Cleveland's eastside...

Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Are you forgetting about 6 Flags just south of the WI border?
Cedar Point was recently named the "Best Amusement Park in the World" for the 12th consecutive year.

Some more interesting facts: "Cedar Point currently holds the world record for most roller coasters (17), one of which, Top Thrill Dragster, is the world's second tallest and second fastest roller coaster, reaching speeds of 120 mph (190 km/h) and a height of 420 feet (130 m). Cedar Point is also the only amusement park with four roller coasters that are taller than 200 feet (61 m). As of 2008, Cedar Point has more rides (75) than any other amusement park."
Six Flags is good but no Six Flags can compete with the best in the world (Cedar Point).

And for the last time, Milwaukee cannot claim the Packers. They're not the "Milwaukee Packers" and they're not even located anywhere near Milwaukee. You can't claim a team that's located 2 hours away.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:40 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelieveInCleve View Post

And for the last time, Milwaukee cannot claim the Packers. They're not the "Milwaukee Packers" and they're not even located anywhere near Milwaukee. You can't claim a team that's located 2 hours away.
So when the Green Bay Packers used to play home games in Milwaukee not too long ago, they didn't count? They still currently have green and gold season ticket packages that split the home games. The green ticket package is only for MILWAUKEE season ticket holders. It is definitely just as much of a Milwaukee team. That's like coming here to DC and telling everyone that they can't call the Washington Redskins their team because the team isn't even in the same state. Or telling people in Arizona that they can't claim the Arizona Cardinals that's named after their state because they don't live in the actual city they play in. I'm sure there are tons of people walking around Cleveland with Ohio State shirts on right now. Where to they play again? Oh yea, Columbus.

So you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You're not from the area so you have no idea what it's like. Packers bars are everywhere.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
So when the Green Bay Packers used to play home games in Milwaukee not too long ago, they didn't count? They still currently have green and gold season ticket packages that split the home games. The green ticket package is only for MILWAUKEE season ticket holders. It is definitely just as much of a Milwaukee team. That's like coming here to DC and telling everyone that they can't call the Washington Redskins their team because the team isn't even in the same state. Or telling people in Arizona that they can't claim the Arizona Cardinals that's named after their state because they don't live in the actual city they play in. I'm sure there are tons of people walking around Cleveland with Ohio State shirts on right now. Where to they play again? Oh yea, Columbus.

So you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. You're not from the area so you have no idea what it's like. Packers bars are everywhere.
They aren't called the "Milwaukee Packers" or the "Wisconsin Packers". They're located 2 hours away from Milwaukee in the Green Bay area (who can claim them). It's not a Milwaukee or a Wisconsin state team so you can't claim them, period.

There's tons of people all over Ohio who wear and buy Ohio State clothes, but no individual place can claim them except maybe Columbus. If anything they're an all-Ohio team or a Columbus team. Just because we in Cleveland support them doesn't mean that we can claim them. The Packers aren't even really a state team, they're just the only team in Wisconsin so that's who Milwaukee and all of Wisconsin supports.

By the way I am very familiar with both the Chicago and Milwaukee areas. Speaking of that I was just in Chicago for over a month until I came back a few days ago, I spent time in Milwaukee. I'm going back in a few days as well to spend a few more weeks up there.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:33 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post

No way buddy. If that is the case then I guess Cleveland can claim the Ohio State Buckeyes since they are about the same distance away and periodically play in Cleveland. The fact is the Packers are not in Milwaukee and the Buckeyes are not in Cleveland, so neither should be a factor when comparing these cities.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Default Packers Suck Go Bears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
No way buddy. If that is the case then I guess Cleveland can claim the Ohio State Buckeyes since they are about the same distance away and periodically play in Cleveland. The fact is the Packers are not in Milwaukee and the Buckeyes are not in Cleveland, so neither should be a factor when comparing these cities.
I agree! this is one of the reason's I never felt much like a Packer fan since they play 2 hours to the north. Face IL is much closer and Solider Field is also a lot closer than GB for people in Milwaukee. Milwaukee can no longer claim the Packers as their home team. The Packers are more of a state team, with everyone in WI fallen over themselves to wear green and YELLOW.

The Brewers are Milwaukee's team followed by the Bucks and then the Marquette Golden Eagles and to some extent the Milwaukee Admirals which is in the American Hockey League and is technically minor league hockey even though the league call it professional hockey since they get paid to play hockey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City