Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Milwaukee(7) -vs- Cleveland(8)
Milwaukee aka: Brew City 82 56.16%
Cleveland aka: C-Town 64 43.84%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

I like Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Cleveland.

Milaukee and Cleveland are like twin cities actually. They have a lot in common.

Cleveland just has much better cultural ammenities. It has a much better park system, and it has light rail that extends from the city, inner ring suburbs, and the international airport. Cleveland's economy is slightly more diverse too. I also think Cleveland's skyline is more attractive.

Besides slight differances, they are both very similar.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:12 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Instantly I thought "wait this is probably a Jay Mariotti piece" but it's not. I would put Gary IN and Detroit, Cincy as the two only decaying cities in the midwest.

LOL Cincinnati decaying? Cincinnati is in much better shape than Milwaukee. Cincinnati has much better preserved historic neighborhoods too. Cincinnati also has a lot more in the ways of construction too. Cincinnati is building a billion dollar mixed use development on its central riverfront, and it is also building its new tallest skyscraper.

Cincinnati has a faster growing metro area population, and a faster growing city population.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,803,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Question to all. How do you feel about Chicago press dissing all other Midwestern cities. This is from today's Chicago Sun-Times:

Big plans for Games are a big plus for city :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Commentary (http://www.suntimes.com/news/commentary/1507310,CST-EDT-edit02.article - broken link)

Big plans for Games are a big plus for city

Dreaming big has made Chicago the vibrant and cosmopolitan town we proudly call home. It's also what distinguishes it from other, decaying Midwestern cities, guaranteeing a future while other cities now can only look back at their greatest days.
Chicago has hosted two world's fairs and built the world's tallest building, generating powerful momentum for the city with each new feat.
The Olympics is the next step.
This is one person's short sighted opinion and even the vast majority of people on Chicago's board here dismissed it without incident.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I always wondered does Cleveland get a lot of lake effect snow? we don't but MI just gets hammered with lake effect snow.
Huh? Milwaukee gets plenty of Lake Effect Snow.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Both Cleveland and Milwaukee have their pro's and cons. First a few things off the bat:

Milwaukee City has an inferiority complex about Milwaukee. Cleveland is not the only regional discussion topic for that poster. Instead of enjoying all that Milwaukee has to offer, and enjoying all that other places have to offer, this poster goes to different boards here and tries to justify Milwaukee's place in the regional landscape.

Next, in regards to Green Bay, it's 1 hr 45 minute drive, with little to zero trafic from Milwaukee. Of course for many years the Packers played some of their home games in Milwaukee and seasons ticket holders have been listed in GB as GB season tix holders, and Milwaukee season tix holders over the years, as in is it a GB game or Milwaukee game. The Packers have not only a state following, but a regional and National following as well. They are up there with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dallas Cowboys of the world in fandom.

The biggest difference to me was mentioned already, size, ...metro Cleveland is larger than metro Milwaukee. In the general grand scheme of life, both cities have lots of similarities. Ancestry, big state Universities not far, architecture, socially, weather, and so on. Chicago is within 90 miles of Milwaukee, Madison is within 80.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Milwaukee City has an inferiority complex about Milwaukee.
Now come on, It's Milwaukee Pride that's all

Here's an interesting fact:

Downtown Milwaukee-Downtown Madison 78.2 miles.

Milwaukee City Limits-Madison City Limits 63.0 miles.

Downtown Milwaukee-Downtown Chicago 90.3 miles.

Milwaukee City Limits-Chicago City Limits 68.6 miles.

I would say if your going to spend an hour in a car you might as well just drive to Chicago if you live in Milwaukee.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Even though I slightly prefer Milwaukee over Cleveland, hence giving it my vote, I just wanted to counter some of the OP's unconscionably negative comments about Cincinnati, which, by the way, was totally UNRELATED to the poll! I was in Cincy last year visiting friends, and I had a wonderful time! Here are some photos! I still miss Skyline Chili and Graeter's Ice Cream!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:47 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
...Doesn't Cincy have a lack of waterfront use? just curious. I have also stated that the last time I was there was 9 yrs ago and I suspect that things have changed since then. I don't hate Cincy I enjoyed when I went there, I would like to go back since it's only 8hrs away to watch Brewers v Reds!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
...Doesn't Cincy have a lack of waterfront use? just curious. I have also stated that the last time I was there was 9 yrs ago and I suspect that things have changed since then. I don't hate Cincy I enjoyed when I went there, I would like to go back since it's only 8hrs away to watch Brewers v Reds!
Just across the river is Newport, Kentucky, and that community's waterfront seemed to be much more vibrant than Cincy's. There was heavy foot traffic around the Newport Aquarium and various shops/restaurants/pubs in the immediate vicinity, all of which were an easy walk across a pedestrian bridge to Downtown Cincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City