Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 04:34 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times

Advertisements

No, most people don't agree. A pool isn't a 'different story', pool's are usually kept that warm. Both LA's and Miami's beaches are awesome, there's no reason to make up things to help LA's look better. And that's what that is- making up something about Miami's in order to make something that hurts LA (the cold water temperature) look like it helps. 80 water doesn't make it hard to cool off at all. When you get out of the water, you're still wet, and that's the point. And if you're sweating in 80 degree water something is very, very wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:05 PM

736 posts, read 2,295,688 times
Hi CalifLove & LucasS6. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

To put all my cards on the table, I am from Los Angeles. Have spent a lot of time in Miami.

I am constantly torn between the positives/negatives of the LA/Miami beach universe. I have HEARD from some people about the water being TOO warm in Miami in the SUMMER to really cool off (including some Miamians). However, I HAVE NOT found that to be a problem for me personally (though I've only been to Miami in the summer once).

I will absolutely grant LucasS6 the point about LA's biggest beach negative: OUR FRIGID PACIFIC Ocean (often time in the SUMMER too)! This is a big part of the appeal of Miami for an LA guy like me. I love being able to jump in the water any time of the year. And Miami's winters (air & ocean temps) blow our winters out of the water (no pun intended).

Having said that, no doubt the Calif. waves/surfing make the beach exciting. Add to that the mountains hitting the seascape and the SoCalif. coast is AWESOME. Very hard to beat.

Last but not least: in my opinion HONOLULU/HAWAII has BOTH LA & MIAMI BEAT by a long shot. That said, very tough to beat either LA or Miami in the continental U.S.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 PM

Well yeah, Honolulu is better. Like I said, I don't know about Miami and LA (as in, not sure which is better, I've been to both) but the idea that you can't get cool is totally foreign. If you get in a bathtub that's 90 degrees and get out, you'll still be chilly when you do until you dry because the water temperature has nothing to do with that. Like...it's just science.

Now, the air temperature can get you hot again rather quickly. But the water? It's like physically impossible. You'll be 'refreshed' even getting out of a hot tub, and I know the water off Miami doesn't get hot tub hot.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
No, most people don't agree. A pool isn't a 'different story', pool's are usually kept that warm. Both LA's and Miami's beaches are awesome, there's no reason to make up things to help LA's look better. And that's what that is- making up something about Miami's in order to make something that hurts LA (the cold water temperature) look like it helps. 80 water doesn't make it hard to cool off at all. When you get out of the water, you're still wet, and that's the point. And if you're sweating in 80 degree water something is very, very wrong.
Obviously the pool will be cooler,Like duh But the Beach temps are warm What the point if it's 90 Degress out side and the water temp is 90 to,You don't feel Cooled off.You'll feel the same.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
I think the point about the very warm ocean temps during summer in Miami is that laying on the beach when it is 95F w/ 90% humidity is a bit uncomfortable. Jumping into an ocean that is 70F is more refreshing in my opinion. But winter swimming is nearly impossible in LA because the ocean temp is barely 60F while Miami is at least 10 degrees warmer. Overall the warmth of the ocean is important but body surfing isn't as exciting in 1-2 foot waves like in Miami. Give me 6+ wave action

Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
^^ You just sumed it Up Agree from start to finish

Old 03-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I think the point about the very warm ocean temps during summer in Miami is that laying on the beach when it is 95F w/ 90% humidity is a bit uncomfortable. Jumping into an ocean that is 70F is more refreshing in my opinion.
When you jump in the ocean, they both feel great. What you're talking about happens after you get out- the water temperature has nothing to do with it at all.

Quote:
But winter swimming is nearly impossible in LA because the ocean temp is barely 60F while Miami is at least 10 degrees warmer. Overall the warmth of the ocean is important but body surfing isn't as exciting in 1-2 foot waves like in Miami. Give me 6+ wave action
Definitely LA beats Miami is surfing and such.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Love the waves out on the Pacific coast. Summer time in SoCal allows you to get in the water and play in the waves. A lot of fun. The beaches in Miami look so beautiful though with the white sand and blue dilute water.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Obviously the pool will be cooler,Like duh But the Beach temps are warm What the point if it's 90 Degress out side and the water temp is 90 to,You don't feel Cooled off.You'll feel the same.
I must've missed this: No, it doesn't work that way. Your body is wet, the evaporation of the water cools you off regardless. What kind of high school did you go to that you don't know this?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I must've missed this: No, it doesn't work that way. Your body is wet, the evaporation of the water cools you off regardless. What kind of high school did you go to that you don't know this?
Actually Lucas, Love24 is correct. I understand what your saying about evaporation but I have been in pools which IMO was overheated and when I got out of the pool - in just a few minutes I was hot again. Not very refreshing. Still I find it hard to believe the OCEAN can be too hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City