Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Hi CalifLove & LucasS6. To quote Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

To put all my cards on the table, I am from Los Angeles. Have spent a lot of time in Miami.

I am constantly torn between the positives/negatives of the LA/Miami beach universe. I have HEARD from some people about the water being TOO warm in Miami in the SUMMER to really cool off (including some Miamians). However, I HAVE NOT found that to be a problem for me personally (though I've only been to Miami in the summer once).

I will absolutely grant LucasS6 the point about LA's biggest beach negative: OUR FRIGID PACIFIC Ocean (often time in the SUMMER too)! This is a big part of the appeal of Miami for an LA guy like me. I love being able to jump in the water any time of the year. And Miami's winters (air & ocean temps) blow our winters out of the water (no pun intended).

Having said that, no doubt the Calif. waves/surfing make the beach exciting. Add to that the mountains hitting the seascape and the SoCalif. coast is AWESOME. Very hard to beat.

Last but not least: in my opinion HONOLULU/HAWAII has BOTH LA & MIAMI BEAT by a long shot. That said, very tough to beat either LA or Miami in the continental U.S.
Agreed. I dont think there is a city in the conttinentel US that even comes CLOSE to Miami and LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Well yeah, Honolulu is better. Like I said, I don't know about Miami and LA (as in, not sure which is better, I've been to both) but the idea that you can't get cool is totally foreign. If you get in a bathtub that's 90 degrees and get out, you'll still be chilly when you do until you dry because the water temperature has nothing to do with that. Like...it's just science.

Now, the air temperature can get you hot again rather quickly. But the water? It's like physically impossible. You'll be 'refreshed' even getting out of a hot tub, and I know the water off Miami doesn't get hot tub hot.
That's not necesarliy true, it depends how long you're in that 90 degree hot tub, me personally if im in a warm tub or a really hot shower, after I get out I dont feel cold at all, it usually feels like my outer body temprature is hot enough to sustain cold air from outside the shower. So it depends how long you've been in there.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Not at all. It simply doesn't make sense. The temperature of the water doesn't cool you off, getting out afterward while your wet does. I mean...there's no real discussion to have about it. Warm water doesn't get you hot unless you're in a hot tub, and even then you're cooler when you get out than you were when you got in.

Sorry guys.
See I agree with that. That's what I was trying to say before. When you're in a hot tub when you get out instead of feeling freezing cold, you feel cooled off because the water in the hotub was so hot.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Damn, does the water really reach 90 in Miami? I bet nobody is in visiting Miami in the summer in that case. When is the best time to enjoy Miami?
Summer = Socal
Winter= Miami or Florida

Old 04-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Summer = Socal
Winter= Miami or Florida
Exactly.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
See I agree with that. That's what I was trying to say before. When you're in a hot tub when you get out instead of feeling freezing cold, you feel cooled off because the water in the hotub was so hot.
You feel cooled off because evaporation of the water off your skin. People can argue other reasons all they want- they can argue about gravity, too. but they're wrong.

It looks to me like a bunch of Cali boosters grasping at straws: "Yeah, the water is warmer in Miami but...IT'S TOO WARM!!!"

That's just silly.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:21 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,009 times
Quote:
You feel cooled off because evaporation of the water off your skin. People can argue other reasons all they want- they can argue about gravity, too. but they're wrong.

It looks to me like a bunch of Cali boosters grasping at straws: "Yeah, the water is warmer in Miami but...IT'S TOO WARM!!!"

That's just silly.
b/c its true It's to warm to be able to get refreshed BTW What are Straws?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:41 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
If anything, the air temperature would be too warm- not the water!!

This is NOT a matter of opinion.

Anyway, to say someone is 'grasping at straws' is an idiom explained here.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,999 times
Lucas, I understand your points on evaporation. I think the bigger concern here is, who the heck would want to lay on a beach when it is 90 degrees with 100% humidity and the water is hot?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:44 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Not so impressed with Miami so I pick LA, but if you want to go a little further south, I'll pick the Keys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City