Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,686,241 times

Advertisements

LA Area!!! My Pics

This point on Venice Beach!!

More? Maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
But coastal California rarely even gets that hot. On an average summer day its probably like what 78-80? And then the water is like 70. Many people (not including myself) find california beaches too cold to stay in for longer than 5 minutes. And then once you come out you feel freezing.
And the ocean temps are rarely warmer than the air temps during the day (except maybe in the fall) in MIA.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 AM

605 posts, read 1,842,777 times
here are some pics
miami beach

west palm

zuma

laguna

Old 04-10-2009, 06:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
But coastal California rarely even gets that hot. On an average summer day its probably like what 78-80?.... Many people (not including myself) find california beaches too cold to stay in for longer than 5 minutes....
Seriously? I think the temps are perfect in the summer especially when you are getting out of the more inland regions that get really hot. It is refreshing, and warm with a cool breeze. To be honest, I hate going to the beach if it is over 80 because it is too hot, the sand is hot, and it isn't comfortable. I like it comfortable, not hot. But then again, everyone is different.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Seriously? I think the temps are perfect in the summer especially when you are getting out of the more inland regions that get really hot. It is refreshing, and warm with a cool breeze. To be honest, I hate going to the beach if it is over 80 because it is too hot, the sand is hot, and it isn't comfortable. I like it comfortable, not hot. But then again, everyone is different.
"the sand is hot"

That's a point I hadn't considered. As hot as the sand gets in California it is even worse in Florida. Ironically the beach is used more in California in summer than in Florida [winter is more comfortable in south Florida because summers are often cloudy\ humid\ rainy & hot.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:46 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Yes, the ocean surrounding Florida & the Gulf coast reach temperatures near 90F during summer. This is due to the Gulf Stream. I have been in Florida during summer but didn't swim in the ocean [only because it was stormy]. But during winter the ocean is perfect around Miami [60's-low 70's] & I highly recommend vacationing there at that time of the year [dry\ sunny]. Summers tend to get very tropical in Florida so thunderstorms & tropical storms\ hurricanes can ruin your vacation. I was in Orlando in September several years ago & we had to stay in the hotel because it rained every day go during winter!
I have never experienced water too hot to swim in Florida (or ANYWHERE ELSE for that matter). Usually water is below the air temperature and jumping into it cools you off. Lucas is right when he says that the cool off experience when getting out of water is due to water evaporating and absorbing heat from human body and has nothing to do with water temperature...

By the way, season in Florida is in winter and yes it does rain in Miami.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:48 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
LA Area!!! My Pics
Strangely (not really) all of those pictures could have beeen taken in Florida.
The coast look very similar...

Old 04-10-2009, 11:16 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Seriously? I think the temps are perfect in the summer especially when you are getting out of the more inland regions that get really hot.
We're not counting anything north of Pismo now?

Old 04-10-2009, 11:36 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I have never experienced water too hot to swim in Florida (or ANYWHERE ELSE for that matter). Usually water is below the air temperature and jumping into it cools you off. Lucas is right when he says that the cool off experience when getting out of water is due to water evaporating and absorbing heat from human body and has nothing to do with water temperature...

By the way, season in Florida is in winter and yes it does rain in Miami.
Hotel swimming pools in Palm Springs\ Phoenix, etc are cooled down during summer because people won't swim in hot water during hot weather. Sitting on a beach in Florida in July would take a lot of endurance due to humidity\ heat.

During El Nino conditions the ocean temps in SoCal can reach into the 80's & is just about perfect but if they were hotter than it would be too uncomfortable. On the other hand, with the exception of a few summer months the Pacific is too cold for most people. For example, the current ocean temps from LA to San Diego is 60-64F while in Florida it is well into the high 70's. I don't really swim in the ocean until about July but that partly because I am a sissy [I mean that in a good way].

I love Florida, esp Miami & have never experienced rain when vacation during winter.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
We're not counting anything north of Pismo now?
Nothing north of Santa Cruz. Remember that Santa Cruz and Capitola are south facing so they are shielded from the wind and get plenty of sun. I don't think Santa Cruz gets the fog affect of Pismo either, or at least not to that extent. Growing up in San Jose, I remember going to Santa Cruz in the summer time because it would routinely get up to 85 in SJ, and even 90s/100s in the summer. Santa Cruz would always be about 10 degrees cooler. So yeah, it would be like 75-80 at the beach. Perfect for me. And super crowded, made it more of a party.

And actually just last weekend it was in the low 70s at Stinson Beach which is north of SF. Obviously they have less days like that, but in Santa Cruz it is pretty much always in the 70s and SUNNY from May to October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City