Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post

Right. And the Cubs are basically the same thing as the Yankees. Only less succesful, right?

Compared to New York with its might of cultural institutions Chicago is a hickstown, full of grumpy, pretentious, badly dressed and fat people.
Dude, if you really think Chicago is a hick town you are truly clueless. I hope for your sake you are just talking smack to get a rise out of people. Have you ever been to a real hick town?

How did Chicago come up on this thread anyway? Don't we already have 500000000 NYC vs. Chicago threads to have pissing matches on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 10:06 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,079 times
Chicago is a hick town.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
For a person that boasts about NYC's cultural institutions, you have a major lack of tolerance and any sense of the "cultural sophistication" you act like you love so much. Calling a great city like Chicago a hickstown is rude
The thing is I do not believe Chicago is so great. First of all it's government is corrupt beyond any, even third world, standards. Second of all I think it's government does a terrible job maintaining city's infrastructure like roads, bridges etc etc. Is Chicago a great city? I do not think so unless you only look at pictures.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
The thing is I do not believe Chicago is so great. First of all it's government is corrupt beyond any, even third world, standards. Second of all I think it's government does a terrible job maintaining city's infrastructure like roads, bridges etc etc. Is Chicago a great city? I do not think so unless you only look at pictures.
OK, good for you. That doesn't mean you should go around saying bad things about the people to build up your own ego. You could just say you don't like Chicago and give good evidence as to why. You don't need to say it the way you say it by doing name calling like "fat, hicks, pretentious, etc..."

Old 03-30-2009, 10:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,196 times
Quote:
New York has unbelievably horrible corruption as well, some iffy infrastructure, and budget deficits that makes Illinois' look like child's play. I hate those things that you bring up about Chicago as well...which is why I vote 3rd party locally...but you act as if NYC is spotless. It's not.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:31 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,903 times
This teenager is not from NYC. He lied on many occasions and lost his credibility. Many of us already put him on the ignore list. I guess this is your first time reading his nonsense.

Quote:
For a person that boasts about NYC's cultural institutions, you have a major lack of tolerance and any sense of the "cultural sophistication" you act like you love so much. Calling a great city like Chicago a hickstown is rude and is blantantly the most "hick like" attitude I have seen yet on city data. If anyone is grumpy and pretentious it is you, so look in the mirror! I'm not even from Chicago by the way or really like it that much, but I wouldn't go around talking like that. You don't have to like Chicago, but you really crossed a line. Maybe NYC's biggest problem is that it has you

Old 03-30-2009, 10:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
This teenager is not from NYC. He lied on many occasions and lost his credibility. Many of us already put him on the ignore list. I guess this is your first time reading his nonsense.
Got it I just noticed this guy in like the last three days and this one was pretty much going too far.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
OK, good for you. That doesn't mean you should go around saying bad things about the people to build up your own ego. You could just say you don't like Chicago and give good evidence as to why. You don't need to say it the way you say it by doing name calling like "fat, hicks, pretentious, etc..."
And how is this building up my ego? I say Chicago is a hickstown just because there are a lot of Chicagoans going around claiming the city's greatness but I know Chicago too well to even like it. Like I said, Chicago is utterly corrupt, segregated, decaying and boring city. Great city? Give me a break, the city has less theater seats than Houston or DC and Chicagoans are not the most pleasant, travelled or open minded folks out there yet extremely opinionated. That's my definition of hickstown.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
New York has unbelievably horrible corruption as well, some iffy infrastructure, and budget deficits that makes Illinois' look like child's play. I hate those things that you bring up about Chicago as well...which is why I vote 3rd party locally...but you act as if NYC is spotless. It's not.
Really? Prove it. Tell me about NY corruption. But maybe first about the last two governors of IL going to jail? How about 385 public officials convicted of corruption in the past ten years in Illinois (most in Chicago)? You know very well that Chicago's corruption is legendary. I just read in the Tribune few days ago about Daley's nephew being prosecuted as his firm got some rigged contracts from the city hall... Why is Daley still in the office??? How can an elected official be in the office for twenty years in the first place? What's is going on in Chicago is worthy of Kabul and not the third largest city in the oldest democracy in the world.. Great city? I have never seen such a resigned, complacent society of sheeps.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post

First of all I am not a teenager. The second I am from Brooklyn.
Thirdly, I do not recall myself lying and when you are calling me a liar you should at least show some proof.
Otherwise it's libel.
By the way, that's typical Chicago tactics, you can't win on arguments so you try character assasination. I know, I listened to too many Daley's press conferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City