Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Agreed. But if you think about it San Jose is bigger than SF yet has the skyline of a city with 150k,if it had the skyline to reflect it's population it could look like San Diego or Austin,if only!
It could be like a mini LA skyline with the mountains in the backdrop.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:53 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
It could be like a mini LA skyline with the mountains in the backdrop.
In a perfect world..
haha They really should re-locate the airport though so they could start building UP,it would be interesting because they already have the low rise core.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
In a perfect world..
haha They really should re-locate the airport though so they could start building UP,it would be interesting because they already have the low rise core.
Yes it would be. I'm not sure why a city would build an airport by a commercial center or commercial center by an airport.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,680,051 times
I don't know,just horrible city planning.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
San Jose, if I'm not mistaken has low height restrictions due to the vicinity of the airport. If this has already been mentioned, sorry.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Yes it would be. I'm not sure why a city would build an airport by a commercial center or commercial center by an airport.
Haha, the airport was built long before SJ had any dreams of becoming as big as it is. The real question is why there wasn't a bigger effort to relocate it afterward. NIMBYs in Sunnyvale vetoed Moffett becoming the new SJC, but I'm ashamed that was allowed to happen because the impacted area is so little. SJC just remodeled itself (nicely!) so it won't be going anywhere for a long time. The skyline won't be rising much, but it will be bulked up soon.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:11 AM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
I wasn't aware of San Jose's beautiful mountainous backdrop. It makes up for short the skyline.

Quote:
San Jose has incredibly strict height restrictions btw.

Still an absolutely dreadful skyline for a city it's size,but hardly the worst in the country.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,949,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
thats nothing to brag about, If I lived in Raleigh, I would hate that my city is being overtaken and transforming way too fast, I still like my city to retain its culture and charm and if ABQ grows that fast then I fear it will become like Phoenix, which would become a nightmare.

anyways, Im not bashing Raleigh at all, its got alot of good things going for it and is becoming a great city but too fast of growth is a bad thing.
Yes, PLEASE don't let that happen to Albuquerque; it's a beautiful city just the way it is.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:44 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,061,537 times
Seems like this has turned into a bash phoenix and praise dc thread. Just because dc has height restrictions doesn't automatically mean it has one of the best skylines. There really is a lack of a skyline, sure theres a skyline of lower buildings, but still a lack of a traditional skyline, but that isn't a bad thing, though when talking about the worst skylines, it does indeed have one of the worst, but im not saying thats bad, but height restrictions and the city being really old and dense doesn't make whatever kind of skyline they have one of the best.

Phoenix for a city of well over a million and also one of the largest cities in the country in terms of area has a skyline that is very underwhelming. Just because they have offices in parks and the city is fairly new doesn't immune the city from having a bad skyline. Just because they have height restrictions because of an airport doesn't mean we can't nominate it for one of the worst. This is a worst skyline thread, we say what skyline we think is the worst, just because they have height restrictions doesn't mean its not bad, or ridiculously tiny. Dont think of me as a phoenix basher, i would kill to be able to move to phoenix from minnesota right now, despite it having a terrible economy right now and high unemployment and a lack of jobs, good education, and city services. Even though minnesota supposedly boasts about its so called amazing education and economy, I would love to just be able to get up and move to Phoenix right now. Thats another big misconception about Minnesota too, not every single school district here is excellent and way above average, how very naive of people to think that because a magazine lusts about it.
But whatever floats your boat.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:25 PM

8,609 posts, read 10,140,336 times
It's really laughable that some of you are so obsessed with trying to one-up each other and finding a city inferior to your own. No, Phoenix isn't immune from having a "sub-par" skyline compared to others, but the facts remain that it IS a new city, it DOES have height restrictions, and considering that many other cities have their hotels located in their downtowns which of course adds to the skyline, I think it would look quite ridiculous to see hundreds of golf courses located next to hotels in downtown Phoenix. Despite its "sub-par" skyline, its bad economy, etc..., it still hasn't kept people from wanting to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City