Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 02:00 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di3s3l_Pow3r View Post
more rural areas, like Ottawa, IL
Also, Plainfield is pretty far out

nothing compares to CA wildfires; also CO or Denver area hail storm is ridiculous
No, it can happen to literally any of the suburbs, even the city. As history has proven. Remember that Illinois is literally a flat swampy prairie naturally.

Plainfield is an outer suburb, but it is still a part of the Chicago metro... as is Joliet, Aurora, Oswego, Naperville, Bolingbrook, etc.

I would definitely say blizzards and frigid winter temps are a more *common* natural disaster to Chicago, and even flooding in some parts of the metro. But tornadoes don't not exist there. It's entirely possible. Even in Wicker Park and Pilsen.

CA wildfires are very bad, but so are bad tornadoes. They both can cause millions of $$'s in property damage and can kill/injure people. I don't know much about Denver hail storms, but unless they have potential to kill people, I definitely would not say that is "worse" than a tornado. Or even a "natural disaster" at all.

Last edited by CCrest182; 05-16-2019 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 11:30 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yeah I don't get that.

Colorado Springs had 2 wildfires that destroyed almost 800 homes combined and cost millions. That's a natural disaster in my book. Also you could throw hail damage in there and that would bump Denver and CO Springs way up on the list.

Western cities with no earthquake, wildfire, or flooding risks would be the safest, like Vegas as stated above. I think Arizona is pretty bad with flash flooding.

To me, flooding and hurricanes are the 2 I wouldn't take risks with. Earthquakes I'm not sure on either. The other natural disasters I would be ok gambling on.
The issue with earthquakes is the unpredictable nature of them. They could happen at any time. At least with the others you generally have some kind of warning.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:28 PM

77 posts, read 62,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agun77 View Post
I know, right? Chicago should have been in the top 10, and I was very surprised that it wasn't. Although a tornado risk does exist in the suburbs, the city itself hasn't had a tornado since 1969, and the urban density and high concentration of tall skyscrapers probably help impede tornado formation.
I think it's more to do with the city's proximity to the lake stabilizing the temperature a bit compared to areas further inland. I used to live in LaSalle county and it seemed like there were tornado warnings every other day. A few actually touched down and killed people.

I really don't understand Columbus being in the top ten.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:54 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
The issue with earthquakes is the unpredictable nature of them. They could happen at any time. At least with the others you generally have some kind of warning.
There's no prior eminent warning or accurate long term estimates. For instance, some people say the New Madrid fault might not shake again with a high intensity. But if there was another quake like the previous one, most of Memphis would be severely damaged.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another related list: https://www.cbsnews.com/media/top-10...ral-disasters/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City