Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntremaine View Post
How many times do we have to tell you you? The San Francisco CSA is 32.5% Hispanic!!! The Chicago CSA is less than 20% hispanic. This is what matters...The hispanic heritage feels MUCH stronger in the bay area, and you don't have to go very far to be in cities that are virtually entirely hispanic. The 9 county Bay Area is all very inter-connected.
It's useless. You are aguing with a Chicagoan, for them everything in Chicago is unique and magnificent: Chicago is the only diverse city in the nation (LOL) and no other city has theaters and bars.
I always wonder if they ever travel outside of county lines or just try very hard not to see anything that does not agree with their view of the outside world...

Anyways, SF has 33.1% of Asians while Chicago has only 5.3 %. Whites, Blacks, Latinos and Asians are much more equally represented in SF therefore the city feels much more diverse than Chicago. SF is possibly the only large city with such a racial balance...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
^^ Ha ha...to be in such a happening place you sure are on city-data alot.

Your social life is cold...but I bet your fingers are smoking!

You are officially "that guy". Nobody wants to be "that guy"

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^ Ha ha...to be in such a happening place you sure are on city-data alot.

Your social life is cold...but I bet your fingers are smoking!

You are officially "that guy". Nobody wants to be "that guy"
nice ad hominem attack on him...

anyway, Dementor crosses the line sometimes, but, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as much of it is seething true... there *are* a lot of Chicago homers on here... more so than any other city I think...

Really, I lived in Chicago and loved the city... but it is mostly just an overgrown midwestern city, and that the skyscrapers just happen to be big and a lot of power in numbers. A lot of hype is about it recently... and hey, downtown IS beautiful...but the city has a lot lot lot of real issues going on. It is very regional in nature and culturally the people don't seem sophisticated, wordly or vibrant as many others, even if they had a few great city planners and some great things there. It is very AMERICAN is a good way of putting it, with blue collar roots. This isn't a bad thing, but it is what it is.

I think Chicago is much more like Philly and Houston than it is cities like NYC LA SF etc.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:53 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
As much as I hate SF politically and the people are so pretentious I am in awe of the city layout and density and urban feel of the whole area. If it wasn't latte liberal heaven I would move there. I'm so intrigued by SF and I don't think a very conservative person could survive SF. Plus it's a national league town so I could watch my Brewers smash the giants.
You seem to be caught up in stereotypes (though you're right that the politics in this city can be ridiculous and I'm very liberal myself). And sorry, but we crushed your precious Brewers

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
The Bay Area does not identify as "San Francisco," the city named in this debate.
We all know Oakland and every other city in the bay isn't part of SF. No one said it was. For the sake of this argument, they're included, because it's an attempt to compare things with a similar land area to Chicago, and put things into perspective. Plus, they're part of the SAN FRANCISCO bay area anyways, a metro of 7.2 million...But you already knew that. No cities in the bay identify with one another. But the people do. Politically the Bay is all chopped up, but the reality is that it's all inextricably interconnected and interdependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Louisiana used to be a part of Spain as well, but they don't presently have a large Hispanic population do they? The foundation of your argument is shaky at best. Just because SF used to be part of Spain and Mexico says nothing for what it presently is. Washington state used to be a Russian territory, so does that mean Seattle is full of Russians? Of course not.

Long story short, Chicago has the 2nd largest Mexican population in the U.S. A present-day fact that can't be disputed.

Where are you getting these numbers from?
Hey, look at what I found! Something that I already posted earlier in the thread:

Chicago CSA:
9,785,747 total population
1,494,657 hispanic
15% of CSA is hispanic
28% of Chicago is hispanic

SF Metro:
7,264,887 total population
2,358,182 hispanic
32% of CSA is Hispanic
14% of San Francisco is hispanic

And, here are hispanic populations above the national average for cities within a 15 mile radius of SF city limits:

The Peninsula, below SF:
-San Bruno: 44.12%
-South San Francisco : 31.84%
-Daly City: 22.27% (borders SF)
-San Mateo: 20.52%
-Burlingame: 17.64%

East Bay:
-Richmond: 26.53%
-San Leandro: 20.06%
-Oakland: 15% (borders SF)

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,122,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
nice ad hominem attack on him...

anyway, Dementor crosses the line sometimes, but, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as much of it is seething true... there *are* a lot of Chicago homers on here... more so than any other city I think...

Really, I lived in Chicago and loved the city... but it is mostly just an overgrown midwestern city, and that the skyscrapers just happen to be big and a lot of power in numbers. A lot of hype is about it recently... and hey, downtown IS beautiful...but the city has a lot lot lot of real issues going on. It is very regional in nature and culturally the people don't seem sophisticated, wordly or vibrant as many others, even if they had a few great city planners and some great things there. It is very AMERICAN is a good way of putting it, with blue collar roots. This isn't a bad thing, but it is what it is.

I think Chicago is much more like Philly and Houston than it is cities like NYC LA SF etc.
No, Dementor is pitiful. A pretty sad excuse of a person. The truth hurts.

Here's my take on Chicago.

Chicago IS very American. It's a very grounded city. It does not have the glitz and glamour of NYC, LA, or even Miami. It's not a media center. There are a lot of problems with the city. Taxes are high. Crime is way too high. And the South and West sides have some serious issues.

I have no problem criticizing Chicago. Valid points are valid points.

I'll leave it at that. I won't even list its positives. I'll let it remain a secret. I garuntee that in 5 years however, unfortunately Chicago will be back on the country's radar. When it becomes a media haven again...what makes it great will start to deteriorate.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
No, Dementor is pitiful. A pretty sad excuse of a person. The truth hurts.

Here's my take on Chicago.

Chicago IS very American. It's a very grounded city. It does not have the glitz and glamour of NYC, LA, or even Miami. It's not a media center. There are a lot of problems with the city. Taxes are high. Crime is way too high. And the South and West sides have some serious issues.

I have no problem criticizing Chicago. Valid points are valid points.

I'll leave it at that. I won't even list its positives. I'll let it remain a secret. I garuntee that in 5 years however, unfortunately Chicago will be back on the country's radar. When it becomes a media haven again...what makes it great will start to deteriorate.
lol, don't know enough about him, like i said, he pushes the limits sometimes.
Yes it has positives and I definitely agree about the glitz and glamour as well... glad you threw Miami in there too...
Glad you can see both sides, some have to defend, even when valid points are given, esp those who think Chicago = midwestern nyc. it isn't.
Chicago is a very well rounded city very large city with something for everybody. Kind of a jack of all trades.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
We all know Oakland and every other city in the bay isn't part of SF. No one said it was. For the sake of this argument, they're included, because it's an attempt to compare things with a similar land area to Chicago, and put things into perspective. Plus, they're part of the SAN FRANCISCO bay area anyways, a metro of 7.2 million...But you already knew that. No cities in the bay identify with one another. But the people do. Politically the Bay is all chopped up, but the reality is that it's all inextricably interconnected and interdependent.
It's not hard for people to sy what they mean, or at least it shouldn't be.

By the way, "San Francisco Bay Area" is a reference to a body of water. I'm not sure how Hispanic that water is.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 PM

33 posts, read 136,603 times
krudmonk kills me ...lol

Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,659,687 times
I miss Northalsted like nothing else. It hurts, how badly I wish I could be back in Boystown

Old 04-10-2009, 03:18 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's not hard for people to sy what they mean, or at least it shouldn't be.

By the way, "San Francisco Bay Area" is a reference to a body of water. I'm not sure how Hispanic that water is.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Bay isn't hispanic. How witty of you. And no, "San Francisco Bay Area" isn't a reference to a body of water. "San Francisco Bay" is. Just like "San Pablo Bay" is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City