Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Florida 36 32.14%
Southern California 76 67.86%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 AM

19 posts, read 40,656 times

Advertisements

Sorry for staying off topic, but that's only partly true, the problem is, if the cost of living is grossly inflated you may be spending so much money on basic necessities you don't get to take advantage of what those cities offer. You might find that you're stuck sitting around in a small house in CA where you would be out doing stuff in FL. And it's not like FL is like Montana or something with no big cities (granted I have lived in FL and southern CA and would not chose to live in either place again). I agree that cost of living shouldn't be the only factor in deciding on a place to live, but you can't dismiss it as "you get what you pay for". I'd certainly rather a place with less to enjoy but able to enjoy it because I'm not paying out of my nose than be stuck in my house scraping by in a place with more to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM

35 posts, read 42,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Orlando has a gang problem as well..
Are you kidding me? Have you even been to Orlando because they're definitely isn't any gang problems, btw I've lived in Orlando my whole life. There's definitely more gangs in socal. Orlando is currently the fastest growing metro in America.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:41 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times
7 of the top 10 fastest growing metros are in Florida. https://www.forbes.com/sites/samanth.../#3c6d204c3a36

Florida has no income tax, a more responsible government, easier to start/own a business, great public education(6th in the country i believe, worse than Cal but better than SoCal), it's a more affordable practical place to live than SoCal. Only real negative in comparision to SoCal would be weather.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:52 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random person View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you even been to Orlando because they're definitely isn't any gang problems, btw I've lived in Orlando my whole life. There's definitely more gangs in socal. Orlando is currently the fastest growing metro in America.
Florida has never really had a "Gang" culture like California though. Most gang members in the state are just punks and not hardcore.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:03 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
I lived in South Florida for years before moving to Southern California a few years ago. Here are the biggest differences between the two regions:

1) It is much easier to meet people and build meaningful, long-lasting friendships in California than Florida. People in California are genuinely friendlier and more open than people in Florida. Additionally, your average Californian has a much wider array of interests and hobbies and tends to enjoy more enterprising discussions than your average Floridian.

2) Overall, people are better educated and, accordingly, higher income in Southern California. In Florida, earning your high school diploma is regarded as a major accomplishment. Even in your average upper-middle class Florida neighborhood, it's not uncommon for your neighbors to hold no more than a high school diploma. This is the result of more blue-collar and, in some cases, "questionable" wealth in Florida, most of which was earned "up North."

3) People in California tend to have more refined tastes and interests. Since people in California are better educated and higher income, this is obviously implied. However, I think some of this refinement or inclination thereto may also stem from greater visibility to the finer things in life (e.g., waterfront mansions, foreign luxury cars, etc.) and, of course, the glitz and glamour of nearby Hollywood.

4) Drivers are much safer and more sensible in Southern California. I really can't stress this one enough. Driving in Florida, in particular Jacksonville, Orlando and South Florida, is akin to having an out-of-body experience: reckless speeding and tailgating, constant unnecessary breaking, merging without using turn signals, running stoplights, etc. Not surprisingly, deadly motor vehicle accidents in South Florida occur almost daily.

5) The economy of Southern California is much more robust and diversified than that of Florida. Accordingly, it's easier to secure meaningful, gainful employment in Southern California. Unlike Florida, compensation packages are more competitive in California with salaries/wages in particular being more in-step with the regional cost-of-living. Also, health benefits are almost universally offered by employers in California, which is often not the case in Florida.

6) Thankfully, most transplants in California do NOT hail from the Northeast. It seems like most white Southern Californians have roots in either the Midwest or Southwest, the latter of which includes Oklahoma and Texas. Therefore, Southern California society is more polite, considerate and relaxed overall than Florida society. Some of the behavior I witnessed on a daily basis in Florida was absolutely appalling and like nothing I've ever witnessed in Southern California. I thank all of the Northeast transplants for that.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:44 PM

84 posts, read 146,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I lived in South Florida for years before moving to Southern California a few years ago. Here are the biggest differences between the two regions:

1) It is much easier to meet people and build meaningful, long-lasting friendships in California than Florida. People in California are genuinely friendlier and more open than people in Florida. Additionally, your average Californian has a much wider array of interests and hobbies and tends to enjoy more enterprising discussions than your average Floridian.

2) Overall, people are better educated and, accordingly, higher income in Southern California. In Florida, earning your high school diploma is regarded as a major accomplishment. Even in your average upper-middle class Florida neighborhood, it's not uncommon for your neighbors to hold no more than a high school diploma. This is the result of more blue-collar and, in some cases, "questionable" wealth in Florida, most of which was earned "up North."

3) People in California tend to have more refined tastes and interests. Since people in California are better educated and higher income, this is obviously implied. However, I think some of this refinement or inclination thereto may also stem from greater visibility to the finer things in life (e.g., waterfront mansions, foreign luxury cars, etc.) and, of course, the glitz and glamour of nearby Hollywood.

4) Drivers are much safer and more sensible in Southern California. I really can't stress this one enough. Driving in Florida, in particular Jacksonville, Orlando and South Florida, is akin to having an out-of-body experience: reckless speeding and tailgating, constant unnecessary breaking, merging without using turn signals, running stoplights, etc. Not surprisingly, deadly motor vehicle accidents in South Florida occur almost daily.

5) The economy of Southern California is much more robust and diversified than that of Florida. Accordingly, it's easier to secure meaningful, gainful employment in Southern California. Unlike Florida, compensation packages are more competitive in California with salaries/wages in particular being more in-step with the regional cost-of-living. Also, health benefits are almost universally offered by employers in California, which is often not the case in Florida.

6) Thankfully, most transplants in California do NOT hail from the Northeast. It seems like most white Southern Californians have roots in either the Midwest or Southwest, the latter of which includes Oklahoma and Texas. Therefore, Southern California society is more polite, considerate and relaxed overall than Florida society. Some of the behavior I witnessed on a daily basis in Florida was absolutely appalling and like nothing I've ever witnessed in Southern California. I thank all of the Northeast transplants for that.
South Florida sucks. I've lived in Tampa and Jacksonville. The 2 cities are night and day. Can't even imagine living in Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

The economy certainly isn't as good as Southern Cal, but it's definitely growing. Not to mention the cost of living in Tampa or Jax, is probably half of SoCal. You'd need 250k a year to have the same quality of life in Jax or Tampa. Jacksonville is basically south Georgia. People are friendly, conservative and embrace the "south", "bible belt" whatever you want to call it. Also, people like Trump. So if that's not your thing, you'd hate it. But I love it.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:06 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livedeverywhere123 View Post
South Florida sucks. I've lived in Tampa and Jacksonville. The 2 cities are night and day. Can't even imagine living in Miami or Ft Lauderdale.

The economy certainly isn't as good as Southern Cal, but it's definitely growing. Not to mention the cost of living in Tampa or Jax, is probably half of SoCal. You'd need 250k a year to have the same quality of life in Jax or Tampa. Jacksonville is basically south Georgia. People are friendly, conservative and embrace the "south", "bible belt" whatever you want to call it. Also, people like Trump. So if that's not your thing, you'd hate it. But I love it.
I don't consider Jacksonville or Tampa as upgrades from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale -- in fact, quite the contrary.

Jacksonville and Tampa along with nearby Orlando are plagued with all of the same issues as South Florida, but offer none of the benefits.

Issues:
  • High violent crime rates
  • Few well-paying jobs
  • Generally low salaries and wages
  • Among the highest traffic fatality rates in the nation
  • Lots of registered sex offenders and other criminals and deviants intermixed among the local populations
  • Tons of immigrants who refuse to speak English and assimilate to American culture
  • An ongoing cultural warfare, mostly concentrated in the black and Hispanic communities, due to high diversity
  • A generally transient and non-committal mindset among transplants
  • Few options as it relates to quality healthcare and public education
  • High heat and humidity for most of the year and, accordingly, high utility costs
  • High food prices as a result of the Publix monopoly
  • Among the highest identity theft and credit card fraud rates in the nation
  • Among the highest auto and homeowners insurance rates in the nation

While I believe South Florida is a poor man's Southern California, at the very least, South Florida offers some advantages over Jacksonville and Tampa:
  • World-class dining and shopping
  • A more cosmopolitan populace and vibe
  • Significantly milder winter weather and, believe it or not, slightly cooler summer weather, too
  • More exotic tropical foliage
  • Better connectivity to international travel destinations via MIA
  • Generally trendier residents and establishments
  • Neighborhoods that feature older homes with more character (mostly in Miami and West Palm Beach)

Old 07-12-2017, 08:56 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
how about...

Entire state of Florida vs. Chula Vista(Not the whole State)

Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 AM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Southern California.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Socal! Sorry for saying this but the Upper Half of Florida is so "redneck" and I lived in Jacksonville and thoroughly traveled throughout Florida..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City