Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 04:41 PM

100 posts, read 219,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
That's a pretty weak comparison. If you look at the other "Megalopolis" areas of BosWash and the Taiheiyo Belt, you see a string of cities that are completely connected to create what seems to one contiguous belt of cities.

If you look at this link, you will see the highlights of BosWash and teh Taiheiyo Belt, and you can see ChiPitts on the US map too.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...egalopolis.png

This isn't to rip Chicago or anything, but this "ChiPitts" deal isn't really legit. It's basically the MidWest. This isn't even meant to knock ChiPitts...I'm just saying, posting the population of ChiPitts vs BosWash to say "we're just as big as you" isn't accurate.

Also known as the Rust Belt. While that region of the country is responsible for enormous amounts of manufacturing (or was until some bean counter decided to move jobs to other countries), it is not exactly comparable to the BosWash, which is essentially a straight line that is very narrow (because people want to live close to the coast).

The ChiPitts thing is about as big as Texas and probably contains more cows than people.

Plus, adding Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Buffalo to your 'megalopolis' does not exactly enhance it's cultural or economic status.

Here come a whole set of new posters I guess.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:42 PM

^^Plus, adding Detroit, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Buffalo to your 'megalopolis' does not exactly enhance it's cultural or economic status.

I guess when you keep Chicago in that context, it's a pretty cool urban scene.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:49 PM

BosWash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-13-2009, 05:18 PM

633 posts, read 1,435,870 times
The truth is, no Chicagoans are really concerned that the City isn't surrounded by other large cities (though Indy and Milwaukee are both bigger than Boston). We don't need to go anywhere else, we've got a city with an economy that's larger than Belgium's! Our suburbs extend sixty miles in every direction. Matter of fact, the only people I have ever heard who are happy that New York is so close to Boston, Philly, and DC are people from Boston, Philly, and DC. Those are all great cities, but New Yorkers aren't going around boasting about how close they are to Boston, believe me. I would much rather be proud of where I'm actually from, rather than proud of where I'm four hours away from.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:20 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,546,447 times
I think that the importance of these corridors is diminishing in the 21st century. With frequent air travel, cell phones, blackberries, the internet, video conferencing, etc. you can conduct business from anywhere. I once worked remotely and set up a conference call while I was on holiday in Moldova.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
The truth is, no Chicagoans are really concerned that the City isn't surrounded by other large cities (though Indy and Milwaukee are both bigger than Boston). We don't need to go anywhere else, we've got a city with an economy that's larger than Belgium's! Our suburbs extend sixty miles in every direction. Matter of fact, the only people I have ever heard who are happy that New York is so close to Boston, Philly, and DC are people from Boston, Philly, and DC. Those are all great cities, but New Yorkers aren't going around boasting about how close they are to Boston, believe me. I would much rather be proud of where I'm actually from, rather than proud of where I'm four hours away from.
I am proud of where I am from, Boston. I'm also grateful to be part of a true metropolitan corridor so that when I decide I might want to visit another city, I can actually find one.

Um, Indy and Milwaukee are not bigger than Boston, unless you insist on defining a metro area within its political boundaries. In which case we can start referring to neighborhoods or wards and precincts. Or we will have to start referring to Boston as Eastern Massachusetts, or some other such moniker, to be sure that the people from Cambridge don't feel left out.

Of course, if we start doing that, Chicago suffers even more, because within the actual boundaries of Chicago, the population is declining, while in Boston and New York, it is increasing (for the past 7 years).

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,032 times
Milwaukee proper, and Indianapolis proper are both bigger than Boston proper.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,884,332 times
I've said it before, I'll say it again. The annual census estimates from 1991 to 2000 showed a decline in Chicago's population. The actual census enumeration of 2000, however, showed a population increase.

The annual census estimates from 2001 to 2008 have showed a decline in Chicago's population. We'll have to wait for the numbers from the 2010 census to know for certain.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM

"The largest employer in the city of Chicago is the Federal government. Followed by the City of Chicago Public School system. Other major employers are the city of Chicago, the Chicago Transit Authority, the Cook County government, and the Chicago Park District. These thousands of government workers provide the backbone of the coalition for higher taxes, generous pensions and “political stability”."

"One of the great fables urban lovers of Chicago like to talk about is some comeback of the city. The comeback, according to this urban legend, involves white families staying in Chicago to raise their children. With Chicago’s 150,000 white population decline from 1990 to 2000: Chicago was only 31.3 percent non-Hispanic white."

"Not a single bank in the top 25 largest banks in America is headquartered in Chicago. While Chicago’s financial district declines Charlotte, North Carolina has emerged as a bigger banking town. Charlotte has the headquarters of two of the four largest banks in America: Wachovia and Bank of America. Other elements of Chicago’s financial district also show major weaknesses. Chicago doesn’t have one major mutual fund company headquarters. Chicago’s mutual fund job base is smaller than Denver, Indianapolis, or Baltimore. Chicago has a few major hedge funds but nothing like New York City or London. Chicago is the futures capital of America with the merger of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the Chicago Board of Trade but even here the news isn’t all positive. Computers have shed tens of thousands of jobs in the futures industry. Futures trading floors are headed for extinction within the next three to seven years, eliminating even more jobs."

The Decline of Chicago: The City that Doesn't Work | Newgeography.com

Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,896,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
I am proud of where I am from, Boston. I'm also grateful to be part of a true metropolitan corridor so that when I decide I might want to visit another city, I can actually find one.

Um, Indy and Milwaukee are not bigger than Boston, unless you insist on defining a metro area within its political boundaries. In which case we can start referring to neighborhoods or wards and precincts. Or we will have to start referring to Boston as Eastern Massachusetts, or some other such moniker, to be sure that the people from Cambridge don't feel left out.

Of course, if we start doing that, Chicago suffers even more, because within the actual boundaries of Chicago, the population is declining, while in Boston and New York, it is increasing (for the past 7 years).
Actually, I showed yesterday where Chicago has grown in the last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City