Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Battle of Virginia winner?
Northern Virginia (popalnet) 38 53.52%
Hampton Roads (me) 11 15.49%
Richmond (Richmonder27) 16 22.54%
Southwest Virginia (01va_571) 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,535,536 times

Advertisements

Richmond is country, my vote goes to NoVa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:42 AM

519 posts, read 1,025,457 times
NoVa takes the top spot by a landslide. Second I'll give to HR/Tidewater- bad traffic, a little rednecky in a commercial and sterilized sort of way, Norfolk is bland and entirely based around the military...but its hard to beat the ocean and the bay. Despite its flaws, I really enjoy Virginia Beach. Third is Richmond- fine but nothing special, with a grossly underused waterfront. Some nice burbs. If this is a battle of the whole state, I guess we should probably include Charlottesville in the Richmond region, which would give it a small boost. Never been SW, and have never got the impression that I'm missing much.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,674,002 times
As a region, Greater Richmond is far enough behind Hampton Roads and Nova to be compared evenly. And I believe this thread is about regions. Outside the city, the suburban areas turn rural very quickly and lack the buzz and activity once you leave Chesterfield/Henrico/Hanover....

But as a CITY....far and away, Richmond is the Alpha city of Virginia. Norfolk can be compared on a surface level. But Norfolk lacks the prominence, on both the economic and social front, that Richmond has. Alexandria is the best city in Nova, but as with Nova in general, it is a massive extension of DC, so its difficult to think of Alexandria singularly....

Either side of this conversation is pretty straightforward. As regions, its 1) Nova 2) Tidewater 3) Richmond....and as cities judged individually, its 1) Richmond---and every other city is behind...

@mahatma, I think its funny that a guy from Baltimore calls Richmond country. I won't make a dig, but come on, Baltimore? Its not a concrete jungle nor an urban oasis. Not to mention, the many levels one can touch on about Baltimore's ineptness...

Old 11-05-2013, 02:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,237,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
As a region, Greater Richmond is far enough behind Hampton Roads and Nova to be compared evenly. And I believe this thread is about regions. Outside the city, the suburban areas turn rural very quickly and lack the buzz and activity once you leave Chesterfield/Henrico/Hanover....

But as a CITY....far and away, Richmond is the Alpha city of Virginia. Norfolk can be compared on a surface level. But Norfolk lacks the prominence, on both the economic and social front, that Richmond has. Alexandria is the best city in Nova, but as with Nova in general, it is a massive extension of DC, so its difficult to think of Alexandria singularly....

Either side of this conversation is pretty straightforward. As regions, its 1) Nova 2) Tidewater 3) Richmond....and as cities judged individually, its 1) Richmond---and every other city is behind...

@mahatma, I think its funny that a guy from Baltimore calls Richmond country. I won't make a dig, but come on, Baltimore? Its not a concrete jungle nor an urban oasis. Not to mention, the many levels one can touch on about Baltimore's ineptness...
It's been many years since I've been to Richmond and Virginia Beach. I've been to Norfolk on an NJROTC field trip back in 2009. Haven't been downtown, but the skyline looked nice and the naval base was MASSIVE!!! I really like NoVa, especially Alexandria, Pentagon City, Clarendon, and Ballston.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM

[quote=murksiderock;32098822]As a region, Greater Richmond is far enough behind Hampton Roads and Nova to be compared evenly. And I believe this thread is about regions. Outside the city, the suburban areas turn rural very quickly and lack the buzz and activity once you leave Chesterfield/Henrico/Hanover....

@mahatma, I think its funny that a guy from Baltimore calls Richmond country. I won't make a dig, but come on, Baltimore? Its not a concrete jungle nor an urban oasis. Not to mention, the many levels one can touch on about Baltimore's ineptness...[/quote]

This is the same regular poster-turned-troll from the DC forum who constantly harp on labeling DC and PG County as "country" and this same clueless nitwit is a former DC native resident who's now living up in Bmore because he thinks it offers him the "urbaneness" that DC failed to give him, like skyscrapers and grimy-ness Pay him no mind. And you're spot on about Bmore's notorious ineptness too I love that city and have some family up there (As well as in Richmond) but my God, some of the people up there are such bammas in every way, shape, and form imaginable. LOL.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:43 PM

797 posts, read 1,434,765 times
By "country" is he meaning southern?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
By "country" is he meaning southern?
Most likely. There's even a locked trolling thread on City vs. City that was started by him where even claimed Chicago's black population to be "country". Dude got some serious issues with himself I guess Perhaps he's country deep down inside and just doesn't want to accept it and instead, label other cities and their residents "country" in order to make himself sleep better at night. Boo freaking who!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM

10,120 posts, read 10,017,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Most likely. There's even a locked trolling thread on City vs. City that was started by him where even claimed Chicago's black population to be "country". Dude got some serious issues with himself I guess Perhaps he's country deep down inside and just doesn't want to accept it and instead, label other cities and their residents "country" in order to make himself sleep better at night. Boo freaking who!
That thread was kinda funny. Baltimore got thrown into that one as well for being country. Lol

Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
That thread was kinda funny. Baltimore got thrown into that one as well for being country. Lol
It was fun while it lasted. Though I will admit, when I hear black Chicagoans speak, they do have some Southern undertones within their accents/dialects. Then again, most of them do have strong ancestral ties in Mississippi and Alabama. But I'm not gonna derail the thread by speaking about generational origins

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

797 posts, read 1,434,765 times
In order to call someone or some place country/southern in a negative way, one should be from somewhere that isn't in the same boat w/o debate lol, is he/she from Bmore or D.C.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City