Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
But that's my point, if not for history why else would you go to DC?

And I brought in the Mexico comparison because that was my whole point. If people were THAT interested in history you would then see more people going to Mexico City or other Mexican cities to experience this history and monuments than do beach vacation. But that's not the case. Most people go to Mexico for the beaches because they aren't THAT interested in Mexico's history and history in general. Same deal with US.

There is a reason so many people from Europe go to Miami. If Europeans were interested in the US history then Boston, DC, and Philly would get more visitors than Miami, but they do not.
For the entire experience including the city itself and monuments/museums. Sure Boston and Philly might offer more interesting neighborhoods but they don't offer the monuments or museums that DC does either..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I have a good number of European friends, and all that I know prefer beach vacations over city vacations (it's been a conversation piece more than once). Because so many live urban lives, they don't tour around to different cities on their time away. That doesn't mean it's the case for everyone, but I think that's a more common perspective than the American perspective.

I think there are some exceptions. Many Europeans go to Florida when visiting the US, but there are a quite of few that visit SF, NYC or a choice few other places. But I do agree that folks living in London, Paris, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Kyoto, Buenos Aires, Rio, or even much smaller (but urban) foreign cities are not going to care about visiting US cities.

If I were to guess, this would be the cities many foreigners would be interested in:

Disney (Orlando)
Honolulu
LA
Miami
NYC
San Fran

Most Americans, on the other hand, live much less urban lives. Hence why so many go to Europe and other places to see real urban cities.

I would also be willing to wager that foreigners from other low density countries, such as Australia, would be more in line with the American choices.
I agree.

My mom has had a lot of international students from Europe, and most them really don't care about US history, which is why I think a city like DC that pretty much banks all its tourism on historical stuff shouldn't be in the top 5. And actually many of them had no desire to visit DC. Many actually would go visit NYC, SF, LA, Boston, Miami and some to New Orleans.

DC probably has as much appeal to European tourists as Brussels does to American tourists....limited.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
For the entire experience including the city itself and monuments/museums. Sure Boston and Philly might offer more interesting neighborhoods but they don't offer the monuments or museums that DC does either..
Ok and more the millionth time if you are a tourist THAT LOVES monument, museums and history, then DC will be #1 on your list, for sure. But if you don't like that stuff, then what does DC have to offer? Which is my point that Boston and Philly are better cities in place of DC because they offer history and more.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
I agree.

My mom has had a lot of international students from Europe, and most them really don't care about US history, which is why I think a city like DC that pretty much banks all its tourism on historical stuff shouldn't be in the top 5. And actually many of them had no desire to visit DC. Many actually would go visit NYC, SF, LA, Boston, Miami and some to New Orleans.

DC probably has as much appeal to European tourists as Brussels does to American tourists....limited.
You mean people from places like Brussels aren't going to be impressed with DC's urban street-walls and super-block developments?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Surprised there wasn't someone yelling, "MANHATTAN, BROOKLYN, THE BRONX, QUEENS STATEN ISLAND, LOLOLOLOL" because that's really the best answer, true or not.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
You mean people from places like Brussels aren't going to be impressed with DC's urban street-walls and super-block developments?
The thing is too, that DC is probably the most European city in layout and architecture. So I really don't think most Europeans would be interested in seeing that. And if they are, there are cities like Boston, Philly and New Orleans, that have a lot more character and culture than DC, that I think a European rather experience.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:20 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
I currently live in London, a lot of the cities that people are listing don't even appear to be on the radar here.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
The thing is too, that DC is probably the most European city in layout and architecture. So I really don't think most Europeans would be interested in seeing that. And if they are, there are cities like Boston, Philly and New Orleans, that have a lot more character and culture than DC, that I think a European rather experience.
Yup. And to your point, more people are probably going to care about history that actually took place in Boston, NYC, Philadelphia than the museums in DC.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Ok and more the millionth time if you are a tourist THAT LOVES monument, museums and history, then DC will be #1 on your list, for sure. But if you don't like that stuff, then what does DC have to offer? Which is my point that Boston and Philly are better cities in place of DC because they offer history and more.
You don't have to be someone that "LOVES" monuments and museums to enjoy DC. It offers more than that. I've already told you what else DC offers several times now, not sure why I need to keep repeating it.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
A European in general is not going to be all that impressed with DC, AGAIN unless they really have a love for American history and monuments.
And why exactly would a European be impressed by Chicago? Especially when NYC is closer. As Red John already stated, NYC offers everything Chicago does, only it's bigger and better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City